Ice Melee/Fire Armor: The... Brute?

Sovera

Brute version of the Brunker. The build is a study of 'but'.

On one hand not having to take Frozen Fists is good since it's a pretty mediocre power that isn't even needed once Freezing Touch is obtained, but, not having a filler for leveling or exemplaring means relying on brawl + origin power (honestly not that bad thanks to Fury but only during leveling. It stops being impactful at around... I want to say Synapse level, and is close to useless even if we exemplar down. At level 1 or so the origin power may hit for 20 damage which is a lot but a level 50 exemplared to level 1 has it hitting for something like 6 damage).

Fury really pumps up the damage while under level 20, but, Burn only opens at 28 instead of 18 meaning only one AoE for Posi and Synapse, also no Fiery Embrace until 35 which makes the damage difference between Tanker and Brute pretty narrow until then. Taking Sands of Mu is an option too but it honestly feels terrible when I use it.

The damage difference between Tanker and Brute is pretty narrow while leveling. Burn at 18 beats Fury. When Brutes get Burn Tankers get Fiery Embrace. It takes Brutes getting Fiery Embrace at 35 for the damage difference to finally settle in. After trying to exemplar and missing Burn too I am of a mind that Synapse and under I'll take the Tanker and Yin and above I'll take the Brute.

The Br00t does more damage, but, not overwhelmingly so. On the other hand it is squishier than the Tanker, but, not overwhelmingly so either. A less measurable part of the equation is how some of the extra damage is also traded by narrow and smaller AoEs.

It does have a hole in E/N where at best it only reaches 68%. Which doesn't seem so bad until fighting the cysts. Where even at just +2 they killed the Brute twice. To be fair I was leveling and had 0% -recharge but (at the time) 56% resist and defenses being ablated was death.

Ultimately it is not nearly as squishy as I was expecting. Creative slotting and IOs makes it reach the same 40% to S/L as the tanker, and 85% to S/L, which then relies on Barrier for the last 5%. So far all similar as the Tanker version. As mentioned above the main difference is that the best E/N I managed (while juggling everything else including trying to reach decent recharge) was only 63%. With 5% from Barrier it makes about 68%. That's not 90% and it can be felt. In the early levels this was noticeable as low as Synapse where I had to kite and use Rest unlike with the Tankers. Also felt in places like Yin where I got whittled pretty hard and had to kite a bit one or two times to give time for Healing Flames time to recover. This is not a Tanker experience but obviously they are sturdier.

But it does embody the Brunker spirit: have just enough survival to survive and then pour the rest on damage.

I will give it a go in the test server so see how it behaves all incarnated out.

After the experience with the cysts I went out of my way to grab more -recharge protection and ended with a rather beefy 90%. I traded 10% recharge for it and that makes for a worse Hasten than the Tanker with it being 140 seconds. But I find this typical of Brute builds since they strive so hard to slot resistances where the Tanker relies on better numbers and the ATO and can afford the luxury of recharge sets.

Overall the combo works as well with a Br00t as with a Tanker. Ice Patch helps surviving when needed and more damage means killing faster. In a full team there might be no difference between faster deleting of spawns and buffs.

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Brute
Primary Power Set: Ice Melee
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Ice Sword -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5), TchofDth-Dam%(7)
Level 1: Fire Shield -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(29), StdPrt-ResKB(39)
Level 2: Frost -- SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury%(A), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(21), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(23), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(23), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(25)
Level 4: Blazing Aura -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(15)
Level 6: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31)
Level 8: Ice Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(15), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Prv-Heal/Rchg(17), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(19), Prv-Absorb%(19)
Level 12: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 16: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(33), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(34)
Level 18: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(31), RctRtc-Pcptn(33), RechRdx-I(34)
Level 20: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(36), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(36), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(36), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(37), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(37)
Level 22: Evasive Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(31), Rct-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 26: Freezing Touch -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Hct-Dam%(40), UnbCns-Dam%(42)
Level 28: Burn -- Obl-Dmg/Rchg(A), Obl-Dmg(42), Obl-Acc/Rchg(42), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Obl-%Dam(43), Arm-Dam%(43)
Level 30: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(48), TtnCtn-ResDam(48), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(45), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(45), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(45), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(46), AdjTrg-Rchg(47)
Level 38: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(46)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 44: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(47), Rct-Def/EndRdx(49)
Level 47: Superior Conditioning -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 49: Temperature Protection -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 1: Fury
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A), Clr-RunSpd(37)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(25), Mrc-Rcvry+(27)
Level 2: Stamina -- SynSck-EndMod/Rech(A), SynSck-EndMod(27), SynSck-Dam/Rech(29)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Clr-EndRdx(A), Clr-RunSpd(46)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 50: Intuition Radial Paragon
Level 50: Born In Battle
Level 50: Invader
Level 50: Marshal
Level 50: High Pain Threshold
Level 12: Afterburner
------------

Edited by Sovera
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Went for a spin in the test server. All incarnates, no clickies.

Pylon time:

- 3:24

- 3:19

It's an improvement over the Tanker version of the same build who averages out in the 4:15 - 4:20 but it's nothing fantastic compared to Scrapper times.

I made some more tests changing Alpha to Musculature 45% and changing the slotting around but the best times were still 3:13.

Roughly calculating the times and applying my trustee percentage calculator the Brute does about 25% more damage than the Tanker (actually it finishes a pylon 25% faster though I'm calling it 'more damage'). In exchange it has 17.5% less E/N resistances with otherwise both having the same numbers other than HP. The Tanker version ends with around 2.5k HP and the Brute with 2k which is still substantial but mostly unimportant: as long as the character does not die it does not matter how much HP was left.

I'll leave a slightly edited build. About the same everything. It trades 15% -recharge resist (still leaves it at a decent 75%) for slightly higher E/N (67.4% without Barrier, so 72.6% with) and one extra damage proc in Burn. Burn loves procs but this will show itself more in regular gameplay than on a pylon.

I'm still a bit worried about endurance costs and how it may either require to play with Recovery Serums or change to Musculature 33 for the extra 0.30 and better Consume. Intuition is a bit of an affectation anyway, but I'll see once I've collected the accolades.

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.6.0
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Level 50 Magic Brute

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Ice Sword -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5), TchofDth-Dam%(7)
Level 1: Fire Shield -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(13), StdPrt-ResKB(29)
Level 2: Frost -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(13), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(15), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(23), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(23), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(25)
Level 4: Blazing Aura -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(33)
Level 6: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(17), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(19), Prv-Heal/Rchg(19), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(21), Prv-Absorb%(21)
Level 10: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 12: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 16: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(33)
Level 18: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A), RctRtc-ToHit(37), GssSynFr--Build%(39), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(39)
Level 20: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(36), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(36), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(36), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(37), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(37)
Level 22: Evasive Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(34), Rct-ResDam%(34)
Level 26: Freezing Touch -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury%(39), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(47), UnbCns-Dam%(48), Hct-Dam%(48)
Level 28: Burn -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-%Dam(40), Arm-Dam%(42), Erd-%Dam(42)
Level 30: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(50), TtnCtn-ResDam(50), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(A), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(42), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(43), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(45), AdjTrg-ToHit(46), AdjTrg-Rchg(46)
Level 38: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(45)
Level 41: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(46), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 44: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 47: Superior Conditioning -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A), Clr-RunSpd(43)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(15), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(25)
Level 2: Stamina -- SynSck-EndMod/Rech(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(17), SynSck-EndMod(34)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Clr-RunSpd(A), Clr-EndRdx(43)
Level 22: Afterburner
------------

Burn has slightly better numbers than shown because of a bug with the Superior Brute Damage/Recharge. It should be:

image.png.f654a622a5f7a6badc812e5b92e69fe5.png

Edited by Sovera
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So you see @Bill Z Bubba, at least with this one it's not 10% better damage and much worse mitigation than a Tanker 😜

Inb4Boppercorrectsthatfinishingoneminuteearlieris10%actualdamage

• Haha 3

• 1 month later

In an effort to reach greater heights I tried using Greater Ice Sword. Mids shows a slight improvement with GIS doing 418 damage opposed to Frost only doing 300.

But unfortunately it made no difference. Three pylon runs ended with 3:24, 3:24 and 3:30.

Ergo same results at the expense of an extra attack picked and slotted.

I'll leave the build here anyway.

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.6.0
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Level 50 Magic Brute

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Fire Shield -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(13), StdPrt-ResKB(29)
Level 2: Frost -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(13), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(15), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(23), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(23), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(25)
Level 4: Blazing Aura -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(33)
Level 6: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(17), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(19), Prv-Heal/Rchg(19), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(21), Prv-Absorb%(21)
Level 10: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A), RctRtc-ToHit(37), GssSynFr--Build%(39), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(39)
Level 12: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 16: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(33)
Level 18: Greater Ice Sword -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(45), TchofDth-Dam%(45), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), ImpSwf-Dam%(47)
Level 22: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 24: Evasive Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Freezing Touch -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury%(39), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(47), UnbCns-Dam%(48), Hct-Dam%(48)
Level 28: Burn -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-%Dam(40), Arm-Dam%(42), Erd-%Dam(42)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(34), Rct-ResDam%(34)
Level 32: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(A)
Level 38: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(45)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 44: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(46), TtnCtn-ResDam(50), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(50), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A), Clr-RunSpd(43)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(15), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(25)
Level 2: Stamina -- SynSck-EndMod/Rech(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(17), SynSck-EndMod(34)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Clr-RunSpd(A), Clr-EndRdx(43)
Level 10: Afterburner
------------

Overall the Ice Melee/Fire is the best all rounder still, but it will only shine once we have the new difficulty settings in. Right now the Energy Melee/Fire is a ST and AoE powerhouse crumbling ignominiously only to the Shepherd challenge meaning the extra defense from Ice Melee is not required, and not being required we might as well go full oomph.

It's not that Ice Melee/Fire is -bad- but it's true that 3:20+ times does not truly fit someone looking for damage. But it is a good all-rounder. Still tougher than most Brute builds while more offensive than a tanker (4:20+ for a pylon test).

• Thumbs Up 1