Trying to make invisible floor without camera glitch

2Dfruity

I'm trying to make a deep pool that people can swim on the surface and see underwater ruins. Initially I put a glass floor just beneath the surface so people wouldn't fall through, but the glass floor is really opaque and hides the ruins. I noticed glass floors are only visible from one side, so I flipped a bunch of them upside down. However, walking on upside down floor tiles causes the camera to glitch and zoom in on your character's heels. Is there a way to prevent this glitch? Alternatively, is there a type of floor more transparent than the glass floor? I'm trying to put down window panes but I have to manually rotate each one 45º and that's not practical on this scale.

6 hours ago, GM Impervium said:

Most floor/ceiling objects are invisible on their back side, though I don't know whether or not the camera behavior you described would persist. Try a few different surfaces and find out!

Unfortunately every 1 sided object I've tried does the camera glitch. I was hoping someone here might know a workaround.

However I did find out inactive summoning portals have collision on both sides and don't really look like floors. If I can't figure out 100% transparent floors then portals are a nice alternative.

• 1 month later

Hey, this is a month old but I had this same thing in my base and wanted to let you know how I figured it out. 

So instead of adding a floor on the top of a room, you'll want to add water slightly above the space in a room with the "open sky" feature. It should force the toon to look down into the water when they are swimming on the surface (but they cannot deep dive). I used Calm Water (Large) for mine. 

Other note: it can still look a bit glitchy if you don't zoom in all the way when swimming, but it works!

View from the side:

screenshot_211109-06-20-57.thumb.jpg.a863d4484076be4c3194cb3f642e4688.jpg

View from the top:

screenshot_211109-06-22-14.thumb.jpg.cba973b0480e1c19d82a3a7f7787f833.jpg

Underwater views (not in edit mode):

screenshot_211109-06-22-29.thumb.jpg.d8c91f603f8f6779b34b5526a86deaab.jpg

screenshot_211109-06-22-23.thumb.jpg.1cb67ee55ac4c3175506d067a7ce88ed.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later
On 11/9/2021 at 3:39 AM, Cerastes said:

Hey, this is a month old but I had this same thing in my base and wanted to let you know how I figured it out. 

So instead of adding a floor on the top of a room, you'll want to add water slightly above the space in a room with the "open sky" feature. It should force the toon to look down into the water when they are swimming on the surface (but they cannot deep dive). I used Calm Water (Large) for mine. 

Other note: it can still look a bit glitchy if you don't zoom in all the way when swimming, but it works!

View from the side:

screenshot_211109-06-20-57.thumb.jpg.a863d4484076be4c3194cb3f642e4688.jpg

View from the top:

screenshot_211109-06-22-14.thumb.jpg.cba973b0480e1c19d82a3a7f7787f833.jpg

Underwater views (not in edit mode):

screenshot_211109-06-22-29.thumb.jpg.d8c91f603f8f6779b34b5526a86deaab.jpg

screenshot_211109-06-22-23.thumb.jpg.1cb67ee55ac4c3175506d067a7ce88ed.jpg

THANK YOU! You're a saint, you just saved me so much time and effort. 

• 2 weeks later

I have a swim-on-top underwater base, done by making the inside In-Base, and the water surface Outside. To make it work, you do need to place glass floors, that then get hidden by the water tiles.  It's is important to make it so it isn't completely submerged - or you will see the floors. 

The water surface will block bubbles generators, but you still can see fish schools, sharks, and room details clearly, and it doesn't make the camera glitch.  To get to the underwater areas, you will have to have a two way portal (inside/outside requires a portal). 

Feel free to see an example of how this worked on Everlasting - use code MERMAID-22039.  

I also have a base on Torchbearer which has an aquarium that you can swim under the surface (completely submerged) (inside/outside) using the window glass 1 as floors- which don't block things. You can still see the glass floors though, although looking down is clear.  And on the scale of a full base, that would be time consuming using those fairly small parts as floors everywhere.  You can see how that worked on Torchbearer - code BEAST-9225. 

You can also simulate deep water rooms by swapping water tiles upside down and the water surface under the ground. This only works for a certain height, but it lets you swim with a water surface far above.  It also lets you have deeper pools and lakes then you could otherwise because you can stack them - so you can have a pond with a deeper section in the middle. 

I haven't figured out any way to not have a surface like glass for deep water that doesn't either glitch the camera, or lets you fall through.   If you find a trick that works, I'd love to know it though!

Feel free to pm me in game @Azurette if you have questions or comments! 

• 1 month later
On 12/1/2021 at 1:56 AM, ssutcliffe said:

I have a swim-on-top underwater base, done by making the inside In-Base, and the water surface Outside. To make it work, you do need to place glass floors, that then get hidden by the water tiles.  It's is important to make it so it isn't completely submerged - or you will see the floors. 

The water surface will block bubbles generators, but you still can see fish schools, sharks, and room details clearly, and it doesn't make the camera glitch.  To get to the underwater areas, you will have to have a two way portal (inside/outside requires a portal). 

Feel free to see an example of how this worked on Everlasting - use code MERMAID-22039.  

I also have a base on Torchbearer which has an aquarium that you can swim under the surface (completely submerged) (inside/outside) using the window glass 1 as floors- which don't block things. You can still see the glass floors though, although looking down is clear.  And on the scale of a full base, that would be time consuming using those fairly small parts as floors everywhere.  You can see how that worked on Torchbearer - code BEAST-9225. 

You can also simulate deep water rooms by swapping water tiles upside down and the water surface under the ground. This only works for a certain height, but it lets you swim with a water surface far above.  It also lets you have deeper pools and lakes then you could otherwise because you can stack them - so you can have a pond with a deeper section in the middle. 

I haven't figured out any way to not have a surface like glass for deep water that doesn't either glitch the camera, or lets you fall through.   If you find a trick that works, I'd love to know it though!

Feel free to pm me in game @Azurette if you have questions or comments! 

Your base is beautiful, that's exactly what I'm going for. Thanks! I might pm you eventually if I can't figure it out, also @2Dfruity. Is it cool if I share your base password with other people?

On 10/4/2021 at 10:17 PM, 2Dfruity said:

I'm trying to make a deep pool that people can swim on the surface and see underwater ruins. Initially I put a glass floor just beneath the surface so people wouldn't fall through, but the glass floor is really opaque and hides the ruins. I noticed glass floors are only visible from one side, so I flipped a bunch of them upside down. However, walking on upside down floor tiles causes the camera to glitch and zoom in on your character's heels. Is there a way to prevent this glitch? Alternatively, is there a type of floor more transparent than the glass floor? I'm trying to put down window panes but I have to manually rotate each one 45º and that's not practical on this scale.

Sorry...as usual I am late to the party. I'd suggest you try the regular old floor tile. If you're not planning of having anyone looking up from the bottom, the floor tile had no texture on the back side. It is perfectly clear and you can stand on it.