Explain Dual Blades combos

Xandyr

1 hour ago, lemming said:

Hedge Trimming Bot that became self aware?

Edgy!  But I already have a "robot that became self aware" concept.  The Clockwork Mime!  Imagine becoming self-aware only to realize your entire purpose in this world was to stand on sidewalks in Imperial City entertaining passers-by with a mime act.   

Obviously, he went Crusader so he could see that world burn.

He was Martial Arts but now I think of it, Kinetic Melee is probably much better aligned with the mime concept.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ZemX said:

See also the "what does 'underpowered' mean?" thread in General.  Basically, we are quibbling over some percentage of DPS that will bother a min/max gamer... and nobody else.

Well, that thread revolves around Kinetic Melee, the worst of the worst. Dual Blades does not seem to be anywhere in the same ballpark. I was recruited in to tank for a Manticore TF last night and never felt useless, say unlike my experiences with Kinetic Melee.

9 hours ago, ZemX said:

And I think some of Katana's fame is almost certainly down to said min/max builds with -RES and damage procs.   You'd think its lethal damage would hamper it, but it ends up pretty highly ranked for DPS when you IO it out.

I haven't played it but once since Live and did not like the way the character on the whole developed. May have to give it another go at some point.

9 hours ago, ZemX said:

I've done Rad/Kat on a tanker and it's fun.  I posted a Rad/BS variation of the build in the recent Broadsword thread here.  But it's not one of those damage-tweaked proc-monster builds either.  I like it, but for a basic tanky build, I prefer something with larger AoE like Ice Melee or Battle Axe.   Possibly the only reason I haven't dipped into DB myself is that I find the animations to be a bit robotic and the sound effects... weird, somehow.  Maybe I just need a robot tanker concept. 🤪

Oddly enough, my Bio/DB Tanker is a guy in a mech-suit. 😁

Edited by Erratic1

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

Well, that thread revolves around Kinetic Melee, the worst of the worst. Dual Blades does not seem to be anywhere in the same ballpark. I was recruited in to tank for a Manticore TF last night and never felt useless, say like my experiences with Kinetic Melee.

That's the point.  DB and Katana are waaaaay closer in pylon/trapdoor tests and yet people still talk about "underperforming" same as they do when speaking of Kinetic Melee, which is notably farther down the scale.  

56 minutes ago, ZemX said:

That's the point.  DB and Katana are waaaaay closer in pylon/trapdoor tests and yet people still talk about "underperforming" same as they do when speaking of Kinetic Melee, which is notably farther down the scale.  

Typo'd. The word should have been unlike (fixed).

Will also mention I am running my missions (while on SOs) with difficulty turned up with it feeling much like running a Brute.

Edited by Erratic1

• 2 weeks later
On 8/25/2024 at 9:56 AM, Erratic1 said:

Guessing @Story Archer is playing an IO'd build as the sequences listed (and statement about switching to a combo after whittling things down) suggests not using combo for the most part. So long as BF can be cycled to keep the +Hit/Damage up it seems it could be an elegant selection of powers getting you two area attacks and making what would otherwise be lighter single target attacks heftier.

FWIW, my Bio/DB character is now up to 44 (should be 45 here in a bit), though not IO'd in the least and routinely makes use of Empower and Sweep. One I do get him IO'd, I plan to drop two powers (PS and TE), so Sweep will no longer be available. 

I'm actually running this as a DB/Ninjitsu Scrapper and she's turned out to be one of the top two characters I've ever played. Very smooth attack chain with about 95% global recharge and no Hasten. Blinding Feint has the +Crit. proc and the Gaussian chance for Build-Up proc slotted, so I'm really happy with her damage.

Working towards my 1,000 badge goal as we speak. 🙂

Edited by Story Archer
  • Thumbs Up 1