Explain Dual Blades combos

Xandyr

When DB first came out on Live, I rolled one. Played a few levels, then quit. I'm wanting to play powersets that I never really played before, so I think I'm gonna roll another DB toon. Unsure if I wanna go with a Tank, Brute, or Scrapper. Anyway, here's my question....

I see that you have to take most of all the attacks because this one begins one combo, this other attack is needed for that combo, and this power is the finishing move needed for yet another combo. What exactly are these combos, their benefits, and do I have to take all these attacks and attack in a certain order?

And lastly, should I make it a Tank, Brute, or Scrapper?

Appreciate it!

- X

I always heard it was better on scrappers or stalkers. I never used it personally, the wife had one on a broot reminded me of a cuisinart lol.

That being said this is the only info I know of minus Mids of course.

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Dual_Blades

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

1 hour ago, Xandyr said:

And lastly, should I make it a Tank, Brute, or Scrapper?

I haven't remade him, yet, but I had a DB/WP scrap on Live, and he was a freaking blender on damage and pretty tanky, to boot.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

There's a good chart here: https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Dual_Blades

Or just skip the combos entirely. A lot of people run BF-AS-SS-AS as their single target attack chain. I'm very close to just BF-SS-AS-repeat.

Thanks for that link.

I wonder what the -to hit and -Def #s are from the combos?

22 minutes ago, Xandyr said:

Thanks for that link.

I wonder what the -to hit and -Def #s are from the combos?

There's a link at the bottom of the page going to the wayback machine and old forums showing this but I've no clue if it's still accurate.

Weaken: -10% tohit, -10% def for 20 s
Empower: +3.125% ToHit, +8% (all but scrapper) or +10% (scrapper) dmg for 10 s
Attack Vitals: 5x0.2 lethal DoT
Sweep: 0.57 lethal dmg, knockdown

Ultimately, the combos aren't reliable.  While they can be effective (Weaken is good for defenses and Attack Vitals is good extra damage), accuracy is always an issue and you end up whiffing combos somewhat often.  I think I recall hearing that if you're at the 95% hit chance you still have only an 84% or so combo success rate, though for all but Power Up your finisher is at least AoE.  The system is also clunky and you can potentially flub combos just by moving too quickly from one finisher to the next.  I do use them on my Fire/DB, but often if i'm surrounded i'm just blending things with my AoEs instead of focusing combos; usually more efficient.

I also personally skip Sweep.  One Thousand Cuts has a painfully long animation, and without OTC Power Slice is very easy to skip.  You can also easily get the knockdown benefits of Sweep from Avalanche or Overwhelming Force procs instead too (and you can put the other in Sweeping Slice which is real nice).

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

• 5 months later
On 10/30/2021 at 10:49 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

There's a good chart here: https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Dual_Blades

Or just skip the combos entirely. A lot of people run BF-AS-SS-AS as their single target attack chain. I'm very close to just BF-SS-AS-repeat.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:06 AM, ZorkNemesis said:

Ultimately, the combos aren't reliable.  While they can be effective (Weaken is good for defenses and Attack Vitals is good extra damage), accuracy is always an issue and you end up whiffing combos somewhat often.  I think I recall hearing that if you're at the 95% hit chance you still have only an 84% or so combo success rate, though for all but Power Up your finisher is at least AoE.  The system is also clunky and you can potentially flub combos just by moving too quickly from one finisher to the next.  I do use them on my Fire/DB, but often if i'm surrounded i'm just blending things with my AoEs instead of focusing combos; usually more efficient.

I also personally skip Sweep.  One Thousand Cuts has a painfully long animation, and without OTC Power Slice is very easy to skip.  You can also easily get the knockdown benefits of Sweep from Avalanche or Overwhelming Force procs instead too (and you can put the other in Sweeping Slice which is real nice).

Would you say that this is still true with the changes they made in Issue 3? Combos don't have to hit to continue. I have a Bio/DB tank and I am not sure what powers to take from DB. I have room for most attacks, but was curious if it was worth it or if I am better off putting in stuff from power pools.

• 1 year later
On 4/20/2022 at 5:21 PM, Mr Pierce said:

Would you say that this is still true with the changes they made in Issue 3? Combos don't have to hit to continue. I have a Bio/DB tank and I am not sure what powers to take from DB. I have room for most attacks, but was curious if it was worth it or if I am better off putting in stuff from power pools.

I'd be interested in a follow-up to this as well...

I'd call Dual Blades a 'failed experiment'. The combos are a neat idea but you're normally going to lose more setting them up than you get from landing them. If you just ignore the combo system and use the attacks for their intrinsic value, you'll normally do better. However, when you do that you're really just playing a gimpy version of Claws.

3 hours ago, Story Archer said:

I'd be interested in a follow-up to this as well...

You can use the forum search. There is plenty of literature about it but only two ways to go at it.

I've been working up an Ice/DBer, and I like the pairing. I think Chilling Embrace and Icicles helps make up for misses (which seem to happen frequently). Of note, at 30-something he's not very IO'd and I haven't really started ramping up Accuracy or done anything to really improve or expand on the Secondary. I'm sure with some strategic procinig things can be improved. I will say I'm  not a big fan of the "builder sets", that is sets that require one power to build up to another, because .... you miss.

• Like 1

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

• 3 weeks later

Well, I've played one now til 45 and I've found the attack chain(s) that work for Me. I take 5 attack powers: NS, AS, TE, BF & SS. The first three give me the Weaken combo which never loses its usefulness, especially against large groups. BF does what it does and SS gives me a second, quick-animating AoE attack. I'm able to chain those five attacks very smoothly without near the +Recharge a shorter chain might need and get great efficiency and value out of it. When my foes get whittled down to one or two, I just change over to the Empower combo and continue on without TE. Works superbly well for me.

So...

vs. large groups: BF -> NS -> AS -> TE -> SS

vs. single targets: BF -> SS -> NS -> AE

I'm pairing it with Willpower for anyone who might want to know.

6 hours ago, Story Archer said:

DB means Dual Blades - is that what you're asking?

No, the joke is how DB can only mimic a fraction of Katana's power.

19 hours ago, Ashford said:

Explain DB?

Katana builds players

thought I should add the joke since people explained it more or less

I agree, one of my old 50s was a katana/SR tanker. SR failed me more than Katana did, I felt strong. I picked up DB in more test builds the problem with DB it either needs more combo paths or be a bit more naturally accurate. Both wouldn't be bad, yet as of now I just found myself rotating just Empower and Attack Vitals not even bothering with Sweep and rarely using Weaken. IMO DB feels like a more complex version of Claws since they both have a clear rotation to attempt to keep the attack boost up as long as possible.