Ghostbusters Afterlife

Fanservice done right.

I was a wee child when the original Ghostbusters movies were out.  They weren't exactly kids movies, but that didn't stop me from being absolutely thrilled with them!

When I saw the ads for Ghostbusters Afterlife, I was very wary.  I thought "nah, this is just going to be a cash grab.  It's going to be hollow and vapid and shit."  And then I saw Paul Rudd was in it, and I thought "ok, hold on.  Maybe I'll give it a chance."

This movie feels like it was carefully designed to hit all the nostalgia buttons in my brain, but unlike Jurassic World, it never felt trite.  Even with the BIG THING at the climax of the finale, as hammy as it was, I still felt "yeah, no, I know you're pandering to me, but . . . this is GOOD."

Gonna recommend this to anyone who was a kid or a teen in the 80s.  Hell, maybe even the "grown ups" from back then will love this too, although it might not be cynical enough for the older Gen-Xers, heh.

• 1 month later

This movie was a nice salute to Harold Ramis/Igon and a love letter to Ghostbusters fans.   The kid actors could use some more acting lessons and practice but they are kids so give it time.

Plenty of nostalgia and call backs and it does serve as a nice send off to the original Ghostbusters as I doubt we will get them back for another, despite a small hint of things that may happen.  You will see this hint in the second cutscene after the credits.

25 alts with all the badges!