New power set: Shapeshifter

MHertz

I know what you’re thinking; this is a complicated idea. And it is. But it’s a combination of powers that already exists in the game, and it doesn’t require a lot of new art resources.

This set would work like a hybrid of armor + debuffs, on the basis that you are misleading the enemy and providing a surprise advantage. This set would probably work well as a Stalker armor, or maybe a Sentinel secondary.

The AT could gradually unlock (or have the ability to unlock) various forms as decided by the devs, based on which have compatible animations and so forth. They might unlock after X defeats, or at certain levels. Whatever works.

Tier 1. Impersonation (toggle). +Def (all except psionic), +Stealth (only works for the enemy group you’re impersonating). Breaking stealth also suppresses most of the defense bonus. So it’s like Stalker Hide, but less good. Attacking breaks stealth.

Tier 2. Homogenous (toggle). +Res (smashing, lethal). As a shapeshifter, physical attacks don’t worry you.

Tier 3. Rearrange Matter (click). Self-heal.

Tier 4. Pacify (similar to Stalker Placate, works to re-establish stealth). Could also provide a -Dmg debuff, on the basis that you’re encouraging the enemy to think of you as an ally.

Tier 5. Solidify (toggle). +Res (energy, negative energy, fire, cold). Resist KB.

Tier 6. Amorphous (click). Mez protection, some Res (toxic).

Tier 7. Seeds of Doubt (click). PBAOE Confusion. Being in Stealth provides a bonus to magnitude.

Tier 8. Lure (click). Targeted AOE, like Taunt. Enemies will focus on you. If you are in Stealth mode, they will also not attack unless attacked (so this is basically a Sleep effect).

Tier 9. Betrayal. PBAOE -Def debuff. When in Stealth mode, 30% chance of Slow, 20% chance of Fear, 30% chance of -ToHit debuff.

The armor values don’t have to be overpowered here, as the basic idea is to not get attacked in the first place.

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

6 hours ago, MHertz said:

The AT could gradually unlock (or have the ability to unlock) various forms as decided by the devs, based on which have compatible animations and so forth.

Can you elaborate upon what these forms would be - you mention "as decided by the devs", but what would you envision, here?  Are you referring to various NPC models?  Non-humanoid models in game?

I expect that these would be NPC forms which have the right animations available, as it would have to be compatible with whatever damage secondary the AT had. For instance, the spectral demons of the COT have no legs, so wouldn’t pair well with a lot of martial arts-style moves; those would probably be out. This set would be less Shapeshifter, perhaps, than Doppelgänger.

If there were non-humanoid forms (wolves, for instance), it would be a different style of set. Wolves have no animation for throwing fireballs or swinging swords. There are also no enemy groups that use wolves, so you wouldn’t expect a stealth/infiltration benefit by becoming one.

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

8 minutes ago, MHertz said:

I expect that these would be NPC forms which have the right animations available, as it would have to be compatible with whatever damage secondary the AT had. For instance, the spectral demons of the COT have no legs, so wouldn’t pair well with a lot of martial arts-style moves; those would probably be out. This set would be less Shapeshifter, perhaps, than Doppelgänger.

If there were non-humanoid forms (wolves, for instance), it would be a different style of set. Wolves have no animation for throwing fireballs or swinging swords. There are also no enemy groups that use wolves, so you wouldn’t expect a stealth/infiltration benefit by becoming one.

OK, gotcha.  My concern is that it'd be pigeonholing players into some very specific forms, then.  Perhaps there could be a single power that makes you appear as a particular enemy, to grant a form of stealth that they can't see through, but which gets broken/deactivated if you attempt to use any other power.  Other powers in the set could emulate specific enemy abilities, but in name only, (so no permanent aesthetic change) - maybe only overlay the enemy model over yours as part of the power activation - think "Form of the Behemoth", which grants you various fire-related abilities while it is active.  Another approach would be to go the Kheldian route, and have each form be a toggle that changes your appearance and grants you powers you can only use while in that form...

2 hours ago, biostem said:

My concern is that it'd be pigeonholing players into some very specific forms, then.

There's no way around that. A shapeshifter with dozens or scores of potential forms would be very hard to code and balance, as different shapes would have different effects on the enemy — making the enemy frightened, making them angry, making them trusting, etc. I tried to limit this powerset to "infiltration, become the enemy and take the group by surprise." I built it for that effect — stealth and PBAOE debuffs and limited self-defense.

A different kind of shapeshifter would be more like a protean battle being: always changing to a form that is most advantageous. That would arguably be a very different style of play, possibly on a different power set in a Changeling AT. Become beasts, demons, monsters, etc., and fight with different powers. How you'd arrange the combat buttons, I don't know — maybe deploy a pop-up window like Masterminds get, with Attack 1, Attack 2, and Attack 3? It probably wouldn't get stealth, because you're not using those powers to weasel your way into a group's confidence. This also feels more like a damage-dealing set, rather than a defensive set.

A third kind of shapeshifter would be the "imitation" type, where you siphon the specific powers from certain enemies. I have no idea what role that would be — scrapper, blaster, stalker, tanker, defender? What if the enemy's attack is ... a gun? Can you imitate that?

• Thumbs Up 1