Rewards for Firefighting, Troll Rave, etc.

Milk Sheik

So, I like my firefighting badges all right, but considering there's danger that scales to level and it's bogusly hard without a duo or trio, maybe there should be a few reward merits or some kind of drop for successfully fighting a fire? As it is, only my badge toon really paid attention to the fires in Steel, and after getting the badges, they're highly ignorable. Contrasted with the Praetorian events or the yummy merits from the giant monsters, the ol' fires and Troll raves could use some love.

Refight the Trojan War and stop Arachnos in the time-traveling "Dr. Aeon and the Wrath of Achilles," 5 missions full of heroic allies and smash/lethal EBs, AE#31899!

Torchbearer Greek & Roman theme SG and coalition -- "Polias" -- always looking for new members!

52 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Do zone events normally reward merits?

The Praetorian event "The Protest" offers a few rewards, like the option for a badge or 1 reward merit, or a dual origin enhancement if I remember correctly. I'm thinking something along those lines. Not much -- Steel and Skyway are low level, but it'd be nice to encourage players to chip in.

Edited by Milk Sheik

Refight the Trojan War and stop Arachnos in the time-traveling "Dr. Aeon and the Wrath of Achilles," 5 missions full of heroic allies and smash/lethal EBs, AE#31899!

Torchbearer Greek & Roman theme SG and coalition -- "Polias" -- always looking for new members!

Just now, Milk Sheik said:

The Praetorian event "The Protest" offers a few rewards, like the option for a badge or 1 reward merit, or a dual origin enhancement if I remember correctly. I'm thinking something along those lines.

Oh okay. Then if zone events normally reward merits, this suggestion makes sense. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

3 hours ago, Milk Sheik said:

So, I like my firefighting badges all right, but considering there's danger that scales to level and it's bogusly hard without a duo or trio,

Eh?

They're dangerous *at* level, sure. But they don't scale with you - they're insanely easy if you happen to pop by on a higher level character. (And the firefighting badge adds "insanely easy depending on powerset." A character that uses some sort of Cold or Ice, or a Water blast character doesn't even need to see the Fire Chief by the mid levels to solo the SC fires.)

And no, I don't think they *should* scale - no reason the Hellions or Trolls should be a threat to someone even in their 30s.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 12/14/2021 at 9:57 PM, Greycat said:

Eh?

They're dangerous *at* level, sure. But they don't scale with you - they're insanely easy if you happen to pop by on a higher level character. (And the firefighting badge adds "insanely easy depending on powerset." A character that uses some sort of Cold or Ice, or a Water blast character doesn't even need to see the Fire Chief by the mid levels to solo the SC fires.)

And no, I don't think they *should* scale - no reason the Hellions or Trolls should be a threat to someone even in their 30s.

The mobs are garbage, but the exploding building will kill you even if you're a tank. It's a *lot* of damage. If you don't have cold powers, you can work on badge credit but you're not soloing the event, since the fires spread faster than a single extinguisher can handle.

The powerset argument is legit; the difference is probably extreme. My only water blaster's a corruptor at 22, so I haven't seen what a full-on 50 can do to the fires and I've been playing since issue 6. I was underwhelmed when I tried to put them out at 20 and the extinguisher worked better than my attack chain. My experience is that I'm always fighting them solo or possibly a duo or trio tops, and the heroes helping out have never actually had cold powers. If there were an incentive, maybe the ice and water folks would show up more.

2 hours ago, Milk Sheik said:

The mobs are garbage, but the exploding building will kill you even if you're a tank. It's a *lot* of damage. If you don't have cold powers, you can work on badge credit but you're not soloing the event, since the fires spread faster than a single extinguisher can handle.

I tend to do these frequently. The big difference I see has nothing to do with the extinguisher, but how fast you can take down the Hellions (since, if you're soloing it, they're a distraction at best, and at worst undo what you've managed to do in fighting some of the fires.)

Granted, the larger extinguisher helps. (So would just having them be autohit, since the fire's not exactly dodging....) but you *can* solo-finish the event with the extinguisher. You do have to start *really* close to when the event starts, though.  And yes, the difference if you've got a water or cold powerset is incredible.

And yes, the exploding building *is* designed to be able to kill anyone near it regardless of AT or slotting. It's something like three hits of 30k damage. However, it's not uniform - I've occasionally been in "just" the right spot to have it explode around me and not touch me. Very much a "...*whew!*" moment :)    

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.