Can Unpublished Content Expire?

LordRassilon

I was working on the second part of an arc some time ago and went back to look at it today, but only my published Part One exists.  Part 2 and its *.storyarc file are now gone.  All of the creatures I created for Part 2 are still there, but the maps and written content have gone...hours of work.

Do unpublished stories eventually expire?

And is there anyway the devs can restore my lost part 2.  The Arc was called Heart of Words.  Part one is up, arc# 25906.  I'm pretty sure the saved story arc file for part 2 was simply HOW2.storyarc.

Hate to have to start from scratch re-editing those missions I'd done.

Edited by LordRassilon

Sadly unpublished stories don't "exist" on the HC servers as such. The AE UI is reading literally your local hard drive to see those. You may have at one point - because I sure as hell know I did this unfortunately - deleted an autosave file believing it to be merely a copy, when it was in fact the main file.  Your best bet, and no guarantee of success, is to do a *.storyarc search and hope.

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

@Darmain, thanks for the advice...I'm already searching thumb drives and external drives looking for the file.  I don't believe I've deleted though because I never look through those folders.  I wish the stories in progress could be saved on the game server for safe keeping.

Edited by LordRassilon
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, LordRassilon said:

I wish the stories in progress could be saved on the game server for safe keeping.

I'm speaking without benefit of any programming skill here (as with so many other subjects!), but that doesn't seem like too bad an idea to implement these days.  I can't imagine a saved but not published story uses up all that much space and resources.  Someone else can chime in and say I'm dumb, of course, but please only on this topic!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Nope, unpublished arcs just sit on your hard drive.  If you've lost any such content it is definitely a client-side issue.

I still have arcs I wrote back on live, because I never uninstalled CoH after sunset, and I moved it from computer to computer with every new rig.  Thus all of my content, from AE arcs to .critter files to costumes, was all primed and ready to go when HC launched.