Disabling chat channels should be global

Ukase

While I recognize that the General chat channel has a purpose, it's not for me. I try to remember to disable it, but sometimes I forget. 
And then I get reminded. 

image.png.3ed893a6afebe06fdddbe21d22ed12c5.png

Why this imbecile tells people of pressing matters he/she needs to attend to, I have no idea. I would rather not see/read such things. 

I do understand that there's nothing to stop folks from saying such things in any channel, when it was not disabled on my characters, I would see this kind of thing often, so I've opted to remove it. But I guess on this character, I forgot. 

So why isn't the choice to disable it a global option? I shouldn't have to specifically disable it for each character. 

It's strange. I have to specifically enable channels to appear for channels I deliberately joined, but specifically disable channels I have not joined. 

I understand that Help and LFG are viable defaults - but General -- I don't think should be in this category. I don't mind off-topic issues, and frankly welcome them sometimes, but I don't need or want to see profanity or crass issues like this at any time. So, I opt to pretend it doesn't exist. Until I forget it does exist, and then it rears it's ugly head. 

Pick a character where you have the chat set up how you like it, (with the General channel removed).  Then go to Options:

992711167_Image008.png.1de7817230214dcc624be9213d1d62a8.png

Under "Chat Settings File," select "Save to default file."  Then log on to every character, go to Options > Windows, and select "Load from default file."  Now every character you have will have your chat set up the way you like it, with the General channel gone.  In addition, every new character you make will now have chat set up as how you saved it, including no General chat channel.

FWIW, I agree with you.  The day that the General chat channel was added to the game, the very first thing I did upon logging on was to remove it and save my chat settings so no future character of mine would ever see it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Of course, news of an impending restroom visit (or something equally delightful) could appear in any channel. The save/load option notwithstanding, it would be nice to be able to click the name and select "Ignore for 1 hour."

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

On 2/17/2022 at 1:07 PM, MTeague said:

I would prefer chat settings were account-wide, not character specific. 

I have never WANTED to have different settings based on which character I load up.

For the most part I agree with you, but I play on multiple shards and belong to channels that are specific to a shard. I don't need to see them when I'm playing on a different shard. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1