Shrinking a base?

RikOz

I have four SGs, and of course a base for each one of them. There's nothing fancy about any of the bases; they're more or less "utilitarian" for my purposes, since I'm the only one who sees them. Alas, as time has passed, I've found I'm only really happy with the last one I built.

The reason I'm happy with it is that it's ... compact. It's compact because I learned from my mistakes with the three previous bases. Simply put, I greatly overestimated how much space I was going to need in those first three bases, and so I'm stuck with multiple gigantic rooms that are mostly empty space, and stupidly long runs from one room to the next.

My question is this: Is there any way to shrink a room without having to move everything out of it first?

Shrink the base plot? Yes. Shrink a room? No.

I have several bases that are all about utility, so I know what you mean. They have only 1 room, other than the entrance room, and I have all of the useful items in a horseshoe around the room entrance.

To decrease the amount of time it'll take to shrink your base you could simply delete all of the other rooms, except for the one with utility items that you want to keep, move the storage and utility items into a small area around the room entrance, and then just populate the rest of the room with a couple of decorative items. Or you could just leave that part of the room empty since you probably won't even go into that part of the room anyway.

Pro tip: have the utility room south of the entrance room since your character always faces south when entering the base. This will save you a few seconds of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

You've reminded me of another thing I was wondering: Are all those generators and computers actually necessary, in HC, to power everything? Because that stuff takes up a lot of space.

My one small base is more or less what you described, it has one medium-sized room off of the entrance room that holds everything I need. Part of the space savings comes from it being the base for my villains, and so it really only needs one teleporter to cover the redside zones. My blueside bases all need at least three.

I've also figured out that I really don't need so many salvage racks. I've realized that I almost never use them. My characters store rare salvage in their own personal vault space and just vendor all their common/uncommon salvage. So one thing I can do to make downsizing easier is sell off all of the salvage in the racks. Then the only items I actually have to move before deleting/shrinking the room are my inspiration storage units. Everything else can just be deleted and then replaced in the new, smaller space.

• Lead Game Master

AFAIK, all you need is the smallest generator. The power/control costs for all such objects that need(ed) them were either removed or significantly reduced from Live.

Also, you can use the "noclip" command (I forget the exact phrasing) to phase things through walls so they're not taking up so much space. There's guides on the base subforum here that go into more detail on that sort of thing 😃

Edited by GM Impervium
aded info
  • Thanks 1

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

I think that some power and control is necessary for teleporters and a couple of other things. But I do believe that a lot of the power requirements for things have dropped and I don't remember exactly which items that's true of. However, I just use a super computer and a turbine generator and that's enough to handle everything. Those two items don't take up that much space.

Also, there's a limit to how many storage items you can have in a base. Salvage storage, enhancement storage and inspiration storage all count toward the same total. So if you don't need much salvage storage that lets you have more inspiration and/or enhancements storage items.

Edited by PeregrineFalcon
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

On 4/14/2022 at 2:35 PM, RikOz said:

My question is this: Is there any way to shrink a room without having to move everything out of it first?

No, but there's a way to simulate that (although it's probably not helpful to your situation).  You can raise the floor and lower the ceiling to make that square completely solid.  This would let you make odd shaped rooms or a corridor with alcoves, etc.

23 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Also, there's a limit to how many storage items you can have in a base. Salvage storage, enhancement storage and inspiration storage all count toward the same total. So if you don't need much salvage storage that lets you have more inspiration and/or enhancements storage items.

Yep.  Unless it's been changed, the limit is 18 storage items.

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Okay, one base downsized, two to go!

I combined the computers and generators into one room (they were previously in separate, adjacent rooms). I know I don't need as much of that as I actually have, but I think the stuff looks cool. So that let me delete one room.

My base NPCs (trainer, enh vendor, Icon guy, nurse, Hero Corps rep) were already in the entrance room, where they're right in front of me as I portal in, so I left them where they were.

The major "problem" room contained all of my salvage racks, inspiration collectors, invention table, Merit vending machine, medi-porters, tip mission computer, and buff machine. The problem was that this room was originally right next to the generator room, down a relatively long hallway from the entrance. So I emptied all of the salvage racks, vendored the stuff, and deleted all of those racks. Deleted everything that wasn't storage of some sort, and moved my three inspiration collectors into my portal room, which is right next to the entrance. Then deleted that big back room.

That left me with just three rooms: Entrance, computer/generator room to the right, and portal room to the left.

In the portal room there were two portals to Paragon zones, one portal to Praetorian zones, one portal to Rogue Island zones (I have a vigilante or two), and one unassigned portal. Deleted that last one. Placed the three insp collectors on one wall and added three more, assigning each one to a specific type of insp. Place a buff machine, then noticed for the first time that there are two more buff machines that provide higher-level buffs, so I put them in there too. Found a space for the tip mission computer.

The entrance room had an empty wall opposite the NPCs, so that's where I stuck the Merit vending machine, invention table, and an enhancement table.

Everything is much more conveniently located now. Two more bases to go!

Thanks for the suggestions :)