Reviving a classic - time to bring my Fire/Electric into modern times!

Onlyasandwich

A few threads here recently have been chewing on ideal blaster combos, and what secondaries pair best with fire. The answer of course is Fire/Electric!

I played the heck out of this combo on live, but haven't resurrected it on Homecoming yet, and would like to tackle it with a more optimized approach. As always, I would appreciate any further polish you may find that I have missed!

Priorities:

• This is primarily a team based character. I want to blast my best attacks with as many procs as possible, optimizing both ST and aoe damage for practical play.
  • Not sweating ranged softcap, but would like to edge as close as I can while pursuing other priorities. Currently at ~38%, which is decent enough. In solo play, I can cycle purples as needed, and most teams will get me to softcap with incidental buffs/debuffs.
  • Max Hit chance against +4's.
  • Slow resist! This blaster will rely heavily on jousting and in-combat mobility to survive, especially solo. I hate being slowed, and doubly hate it here. It helps that Winter sets are pretty great for other bonuses and proc optimization as well. 🙂

Where I would love more edge:

• More recharge would be great, though I'm okay with where I am overall with FFback firing.
  • If there is a way to get to softcap and keep my procs, I'm all ears!
  • I don't think I'll miss power sink with all the recovery. What do you think?

Anticipated Playstyle:

• Lead off with Force of Thunder most spawns. Cycle in Fireball, Rain of Fire, then Thunderstrike as they are starting to stand up, chaining the KD.
  • Otherwise joust and blast with my best ST attacks as they come up.
  • I know @Nemu loves their Fire/Elec, and has great jousting technique. To those who haven't tried it, I encourage you to check out some of their tutorials and try it for yourself! Push those blasters to the limit without relying on traditional softcap tactics.

Note that my FFback powers are toggled on, and Aim/build up are off when reviewing totals. Quick Snipe is on.

Build:

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Blaster
Primary Power Set: Fire Blast
Secondary Power Set: Electricity Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Flares -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(46), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(46)
Level 1: Electric Fence -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Fire Ball -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), JvlVll-Dam%(5), PstBls-Dam%(5), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(7)
Level 4: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 6: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(7)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(9), Ksm-ToHit+(9), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(36), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(45), WntGif-ResSlow(48)
Level 10: Charged Brawl -- CaloftheS-Acc/EndRdx(A), Hct-Dmg(11), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(11), Hct-Dam%(13), TchofDth-Dam%(13), GldStr-%Dam(45)
Level 12: Aim -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 14: Kick -- ExpStr-Dmg/KB(A), ExpStr-Acc/KB(15), ExpStr-Dam%(15)
Level 16: Thunder Strike -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(17), Arm-Dam%(43), Erd-%Dam(43), FrcFdb-Rechg%(43)
Level 18: Blaze -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(42)
Level 20: Dynamo -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(21), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(21), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(23), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(23), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(46)
Level 22: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(25), Rct-ResDam%(25)
Level 26: Blazing Bolt -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(27), StnoftheM-Dam%(27), Apc-Dam%(29), GldJvl-Acc/Dmg(31), GldJvl-Dam%(34)
Level 28: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Rain of Fire -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(31), Artl-Dam/Rech(31), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(48), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(50), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(50)
Level 32: Inferno -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Erd-%Dam(33), Obl-%Dam(34), ScrDrv-Dam%(34)
Level 35: Force of Thunder -- AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(A), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(36), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(37)
Level 38: Shocking Grasp -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), TchofDth-Dam%(39), NrnSht-Dam%(39), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(40), UnbCns-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Charged Armor -- GldArm-End/Res(A), GldArm-ResDam(42), GldArm-3defTpProc(42)
Level 44: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(48)
Level 47: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A), ToHit-I(50)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Prv-Absorb%(36)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 49: Quick Form 
Level 44: Speed Phase 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
------------

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, brasilgringo said:

This is what I run

Similar build in spirit, but more defense minded for sure.

Do you find yourself ever using Power Sink for blue bar refills? I would think that it wouldn't get too much use with the fully enhanced sustain.

Back on live it was great for Nuke recovery and general sustain, but in the days of sustains and crashless Nukes, I wonder.

You will need it from time to time if you've been attacking a long time without pause. But I use it as another layer of mitigation to drain stuff i.e Weakened Hami during LGTF.

You don't need it, but I include it because it's an emergency end recovery tool when you need it, and the set bonuses are decent. I would imagine you'll need it more than me with a proc heavy build.

Your build is more offense oriented for sure but 43% global recharge may take some wind from under the sails from those powers you proc and wish to spam, even with the aid of the 2 FF procs.

I built mine to be a tank-mage, and part of that magic is being able to get TS and FoT recharge down to where I can reasonably chain them for a couple of cycles, which accords me the ability to face tank a group with a few +4 bosses (and look good doing it) from time to time. Scorp shield has synergy with that game plan to add an additional layer of mitigation on top of the active soft controls, and it's also an opportunity for more global recharge slotting.

I'll admit that without scorp shield or a decent amount of s/l defense I'm reluctant to stay in melee, and that kind of goes against the point of taking 2 PBAOE KD powers with the intention to cycle them in the thick of melee no? I'll also admit that even with Scorpion shield and the 2 KD powers I still joust hits, over time you sort of develop a 6th sense of when bosses and other threats are going to retaliate with a big attack and that's when you joust away and let dumb mob AI work to your advantage. And if you do get hit by a big attack as you joust away, you make sure they can't follow up with a second big hit to finish you off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

34 minutes ago, Nemu said:

Your build is more offense oriented for sure but 43% global recharge may take some wind from under the sails from those powers you proc and wish to spam, even with the aid of the 2 FF procs.

Thank you for the input!

I've definitely lost a lot of recharge opportunities in pursuit of procs. Good point on TS and Force specifically though. Not having those reliably available in time to chain is a problem for survivability even in a team situation.

I'm sort of okay allowing defenses to slide a bit here, looking at it from a team perspective with some amount of useful buffs to absorb and perform.

I wonder if it might instead be useful to drop any pretense of caring about Ranged defense, and double down on recharge bonuses, relying instead on chained KD as my primary (and careful) defensive tool. As useful as KD is, that might be playing it just a bit too close to the edge! 

Here is a "double down on recharge and say poo poo to ranged defense" version, which does include Power Sink:

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Blaster
Primary Power Set: Fire Blast
Secondary Power Set: Electricity Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Flares -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(50)
Level 1: Electric Fence -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Fire Ball -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), JvlVll-Dam%(5), PstBls-Dam%(5), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(7)
Level 4: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 6: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(7)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(9), Ksm-ToHit+(9), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(45), WntGif-ResSlow(48)
Level 10: Charged Brawl -- CaloftheS-Acc/EndRdx(A), Hct-Dmg(11), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(11), Hct-Dam%(13), TchofDth-Dam%(13), GldStr-%Dam(45)
Level 12: Aim -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 14: Kick -- ExpStr-Dmg/KB(A)
Level 16: Thunder Strike -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(17), Arm-Dam%(43), Erd-%Dam(43), FrcFdb-Rechg%(43)
Level 18: Blaze -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(42)
Level 20: Dynamo -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(21), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(21), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(23), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(23), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(46)
Level 22: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(25), Rct-ResDam%(25)
Level 26: Blazing Bolt -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(27), StnoftheM-Dam%(27), Apc-Dam%(29), GldJvl-Acc/Dmg(31), GldJvl-Dam%(34)
Level 28: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Rain of Fire -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(31), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Rgn-Knock%(50)
Level 32: Inferno -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Erd-%Dam(33), Obl-%Dam(34), ScrDrv-Dam%(34)
Level 35: Force of Thunder -- AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(A), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(36), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(37)
Level 38: Shocking Grasp -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), TchofDth-Dam%(39), NrnSht-Dam%(39), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(40), UnbCns-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Charged Armor -- GldArm-End/Res(A), GldArm-ResDam(42), GldArm-3defTpProc(42)
Level 44: Power Sink -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(15), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(15), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(36), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(48)
Level 47: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A), ToHit-I(50)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Prv-Absorb%(36)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 49: Quick Form 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
------------

I suppose this is a build that might prefer to invest in an epic that has a self rez. 😄

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1

You could definitely go that route as long as your can keep stuff inside your control zone. Remember that both powers also have a target cap. I can also make the argument that the time you spend positioning mobs is also time lost killing and time spent taking hits. Range defense is especially important vs scattered mobs and vs adds and the reality is that you won't have the luxury to clump every mob and make use of the TS/FOT chain.

My build has almost softcapped range defense and around 40% S/L. The thought is that I can skimp on S/L a little with all the melee range mitigation and that allows me some wiggle room to proc the power that can benefit the most from procs which for me is shocking grasp. Since it's a DoT the extra procs add more bang for the buck compared to other powers that deliver good damage up front already.

That said if you want to go all damage and you have sufficient support/skills that enable you to do so, go for it and try it out. If you feel it wanting then there's always the defense route.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

30 minutes ago, Nemu said:

You could definitely go that route as long as your can keep stuff inside your control zone. Remember that both powers also have a target cap. I can also make the argument that the time you spend positioning mobs is also time lost killing and time spent taking hits. Range defense is especially important vs scattered mobs and vs adds and the reality is that you won't have the luxury to clump every mob and make use of the TS/FOT chain.

True enough. Two Knockdowns with a taste of disorient don't exactly turn me into a dominator.

I may just try it and see how much I end up eating dirt. I've enjoyed tilting my builds recklessly towards offense lately. Reminds me of the good old days when even the best built blasters ate pavement on a regular basis. 🙂