Stay!

Zhym

Is it normal for pets not to remain where they are when told to "stay?" 

I just leveled up a Beasts/Nature MM, and occasionally it would be useful to have my pets stay at the door while I stealth to the end.  Having the pets (who have no stealth) run with me slows that down.  I could dismiss them and re-summon when I get to the end of the map, and sometimes I do that.  But if I try to get my pets to stay then run off, eventually I'll find that they've been trying to follow me, and getting into fights on the way. 

Is that expected behavior, or am I doing this wrong?

• Like 1

Perhaps you're going out of their "summon" range which is leading them to trying to catch up to you instead of staying where they're told? I've never tried what you're describing, so that's the only thing I can think of as I use the stay command a lot with my Bots/Nature to keep them in the fairy patch, but I'm never far from them and always end up reverting them back to follow when I need to move on.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Pets will automatically teleport to your location if you're more than 100' or 125' away (I dont remember). As soon as they tp, they auto follow unless stay is clicked again. Sometimes it's hard to tell if pets tp to you as when they do, it will be behind your character.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, StrikerFox said:

Pets will automatically teleport to your location if you're more than 100' or 125' away (I dont remember). As soon as they tp, they auto follow unless stay is clicked again. Sometimes it's hard to tell if pets tp to you as when they do, it will be behind your character.

This seems to be it.  I did some testing and sure enough, my pets will stay put until I get a certain distance away (I didn’t measure, but it was just about where I could no longer see them), at which point they’d teleport to me and go back to following.

Thanks!

ETA: I measured how far I could get from my pets (in Atlas Park, at least), and it was about 500'.

Edited by Zhym
  • Like 1

• 2 months later

So as others have said, once you get a certain distance from your pets they will automatically teleport.  So if you are stealth running a mission it's best to just dismiss them.

Another reason why pets don't stay a lot of times is based on their stance.  If you have them set to Aggressive they will seek out anything in like 20ft of the area you told them to stay.  In Defensive the moment you take damage they will attack that target, due to Bodyguard mode (it works on both Follow and Goto).  So setting your pets to Passive & Stay/Go To will make them not do anything even if attacked.

• Thumbs Up 1