Rad/Dark - Trying to leverage the Gauntlet AoE buffs

Omega-202

Hi Tankers

I've been away from the game for a spell and never really got to explore the revamped Gauntlet and all that it had to offer.  I'd always wanted to give Rad/ a try and thought it would pair nicely with /Dark, which could fill in the low +Def in Rad with the -ToHit secondary effects.  I also wanted to give the touched up /Dark a try and see how the Gauntlet AoE buffs impacted the set.  Finally, I thought the combo would go really well with Fold Space, which again, I never really got to try out before I took a break from Paragon City.

It does not seem like this is a common combo as the builds I've found for Rad/Dark look a bit dated and unoptimized, so I'm looking for some build / min-max pointers.  As I noted, my build skills might be a bit rusty from my hiatus, but below is my first crack at this set up.  Some aspects I want to preserve and build around, even if they may be non-optimal:

1.  Fold Space is a tool I definitely want to keep.

2.  Stealth / Concealment pool is a keeper as I hate not having the option of full invis, even on a Tank that can just run through a map.  They are also perfect LotG mules which Rad/ desperately needs.

3.  I like Gloom/Obliteration, and they seem to still be highly valuable DPA, even with the revamped Tanker scalars.  

All build feedback/critiques/edits welcome!

First draft build:

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Tanker
Primary Power Set: Radiation Armor
Secondary Power Set: Dark Melee
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Teleportation
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(5), ImpArm-ResPsi(5), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(7)
Level 1: Shadow Punch -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(7), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(9), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), TchofDth-Dam%(11)
Level 2: Gamma Boost -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 4: Shadow Maul -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(15), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(15), PrfZng-Dam%(17), ScrDrv-Dam%(17)
Level 6: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 8: Proton Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(19), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(19), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 10: Fallout Shelter -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(21), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 12: Radiation Therapy -- TchoftheN-Heal(A), TchoftheN-%Dam(25), PrfZng-Dam%(25), Obl-%Dam(27), Erd-%Dam(27), ScrDrv-Dam%(29)
Level 14: Beta Decay -- HO:Enzym(A)
Level 16: Siphon Life -- SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(31), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(31), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(31), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 18: Particle Shielding -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(33), Prv-Heal/Rchg(33), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(34), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(34), Prv-Heal(34)
Level 20: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(36), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(36), Ksm-ToHit+(37)
Level 24: Combat Teleport -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 26: Ground Zero -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(37), TchofLadG-%Dam(37), ScrDrv-Dam%(39), Obl-%Dam(39), PrfZng-Dam%(39)
Level 28: Soul Drain -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Arm-Dam%(42)
Level 30: Teleport -- Range-I(A)
Level 32: Fold Space -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 35: Meltdown -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 38: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Hct-Acc/Rchg(43), Hct-Dam%(45), PrfZng-Dam%(45)
Level 41: Gloom -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg(45), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(46), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(46), CldSns-%Dam(48)
Level 44: Dark Obliteration -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg(48), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(50), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(50)
Level 47: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Darkest Night -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(13)
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
------------

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later
On 4/29/2022 at 6:04 AM, Omega-202 said:

Hi Tankers

I've been away from the game for a spell and never really got to explore the revamped Gauntlet and all that it had to offer.  I'd always wanted to give Rad/ a try and thought it would pair nicely with /Dark, which could fill in the low +Def in Rad with the -ToHit secondary effects.  I also wanted to give the touched up /Dark a try and see how the Gauntlet AoE buffs impacted the set.  Finally, I thought the combo would go really well with Fold Space, which again, I never really got to try out before I took a break from Paragon City.

It does not seem like this is a common combo as the builds I've found for Rad/Dark look a bit dated and unoptimized, so I'm looking for some build / min-max pointers.  As I noted, my build skills might be a bit rusty from my hiatus, but below is my first crack at this set up.  Some aspects I want to preserve and build around, even if they may be non-optimal:

1.  Fold Space is a tool I definitely want to keep.

2.  Stealth / Concealment pool is a keeper as I hate not having the option of full invis, even on a Tank that can just run through a map.  They are also perfect LotG mules which Rad/ desperately needs.

3.  I like Gloom/Obliteration, and they seem to still be highly valuable DPA, even with the revamped Tanker scalars.  

Thoughts?

You don't need to go over 90% resistances. Your Tanker ATO will give three stacks of 6.7% of which Mids only accounts for one, and even that single one you're already over 90%. Anything over 90% is wasted. Instead try aiming lower and leave two stacks (roughly 14%, or in Mids lowering the resistances to 83%-ish. This will free some slots. Nvm, I see Meltdown was toggled on.

Swapping the slotting between Shadow Maul and Siphon Life ensures you get the ATO stacks during ST as well as during AoE situations, where you'll not be using Shadow Maul in purely ST moments. Also, slash and psi are not great procs, so swapping them for their energy and negative counterparts is a bit of easy min maxing.

No need for Kismet since your attacks are already good enough to hit +3 enemies even without it and without Soul Drain who definitely puts them over the hit cap.

Now, unfortunately I feel obliged to say these are just minor min maxes. To truly min max it you would have to rebuild it near from scratch since you have a resist based tank who is not resist capped and doesn't have enough S/L defense to help survival (though some disagree about the use of S/L defense since it gets shorn off by -def attacks). The heals and the shield will help and for, say, 80% of the content you will probably survive (especially since Melt down and/or Barrier can be panic buttons, as well as inspirations being a thing), but truly min maxed you'd be at 90% (with two stacks of ATO and 5% from Barrier, so roughly 77% on Mids) on top of 45% to S/L (with 5% from Barrier, so 40% on Mids).

The game does not REQUIRE brutal min maxing to survive though so you might find your build to be enough to handle whatever content you decide to throw it at, but if you find yourself squishy then consider these points.

I did some minor tweaks which I recommend.

Spoiler

Level 50 Science Tanker

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(5), ImpArm-ResPsi(5), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(7)
Level 1: Shadow Punch -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(7), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(9), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), TchofDth-Dam%(11)
Level 4: Shadow Maul -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(17)
Level 8: Proton Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(19), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(19), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 10: Fallout Shelter -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(21), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 12: Radiation Therapy -- TchoftheN-Heal(A), TchoftheN-%Dam(25), PrfZng-Dam%(25), Obl-%Dam(27), Erd-%Dam(27), ScrDrv-Dam%(29)
Level 16: Siphon Life -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), TchofDth-Dam%(31), CldSns-%Dam(33)
Level 18: Particle Shielding -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(33), Prv-Heal/Rchg(33), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(34), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(34), Prv-Heal(34)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(36), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(36)
Level 24: Combat Teleport -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 26: Ground Zero -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(37), TchofLadG-%Dam(37), ScrDrv-Dam%(39), Obl-%Dam(39), PrfZng-Dam%(39)
Level 28: Soul Drain -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), GssSynFr--Build%(42)
Level 38: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Hct-Acc/Rchg(43), Hct-Dam%(45), TchofDth-Dam%(45)
Level 41: Gloom -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg(45), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(46), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(46), CldSns-%Dam(48)
Level 44: Dark Obliteration -- Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(A), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(48), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(48), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(50), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(50), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(50)
------------

5 hours ago, Sovera said:

You don't need to go over 90% resistances. Your Tanker ATO will give three stacks of 6.7% of which Mids only accounts for one, and even that single one you're already over 90%. Anything over 90% is wasted. Instead try aiming lower and leave two stacks (roughly 14%, or in Mids lowering the resistances to 83%-ish. This will free some slots. Nvm, I see Meltdown was toggled on.

Swapping the slotting between Shadow Maul and Siphon Life ensures you get the ATO stacks during ST as well as during AoE situations, where you'll not be using Shadow Maul in purely ST moments. Also, slash and psi are not great procs, so swapping them for their energy and negative counterparts is a bit of easy min maxing.

No need for Kismet since your attacks are already good enough to hit +3 enemies even without it and without Soul Drain who definitely puts them over the hit cap.

Now, unfortunately I feel obliged to say these are just minor min maxes. To truly min max it you would have to rebuild it near from scratch since you have a resist based tank who is not resist capped and doesn't have enough S/L defense to help survival (though some disagree about the use of S/L defense since it gets shorn off by -def attacks). The heals and the shield will help and for, say, 80% of the content you will probably survive (especially since Melt down and/or Barrier can be panic buttons, as well as inspirations being a thing), but truly min maxed you'd be at 90% (with two stacks of ATO and 5% from Barrier, so roughly 77% on Mids) on top of 45% to S/L (with 5% from Barrier, so 40% on Mids).

The game does not REQUIRE brutal min maxing to survive though so you might find your build to be enough to handle whatever content you decide to throw it at, but if you find yourself squishy then consider these points.

I did some minor tweaks which I recommend.

Reveal hidden contents

Level 50 Science Tanker

Hero Profile:
Level 4: Shadow Maul -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(17)
Level 16: Siphon Life -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), TchofDth-Dam%(31), CldSns-%Dam(33)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(36), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(36)
Level 24: Combat Teleport -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 26: Ground Zero -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(37), TchofLadG-%Dam(37), ScrDrv-Dam%(39), Obl-%Dam(39), PrfZng-Dam%(39)
Level 28: Soul Drain -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), GssSynFr--Build%(42)
Level 38: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Hct-Acc/Rchg(43), Hct-Dam%(45), TchofDth-Dam%(45)
Level 44: Dark Obliteration -- Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(A), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(48), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(48), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(50), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(50), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(50)
------------

Thanks for the feedback.  Points taken across the board.  As I'm leveling the build and getting used to it, I'm seeing a lot that I can improve on.  Kismet has outlived its purpose but was nice early on.  The proc choice was what I actually had on hand in the base, but obviously once I have the time, swapping Scirroccos, Zingers and Obliterations with Cloud Senses, Eradication and Deaths Touch is on the to-do list. 

While I agree that the defenses are not min/maxed, I was hesitant to default to the easy out of Kick/Tough/Weave, but I might rebuild and see where that gets me.  Regarding survivability, I'm not finding that I have any issues, even against +5 Praets sidekicking lvl 38 up to lvl 50 in RWZ missions, so that's comforting.  Definitely would be nice to hit the caps, but the healing is pretty ridiculous and I can easily keep 3 resist stacks up.  

I'm going to see what I get swapping CJ, Grant Invis and Meltdown for Fighting pool, and cannabilize slots from Shadow Punch and see what I end up with.  

• Like 1

Updated version of the build below.

@Sovera, thanks again for the feedback.  Some things that I'm seeing with this new version is that:

1) S/L resist is way up there, just by adding Tough.  I'm overcapped just with one stack of the Might proc, let alone the Cimeroran Citizen day job that I've always got running on my 50s.  I'm thinking it might be overkill for lvl 50 play, but I guess it will come in handy for exemplaring if I take Tough at an early enough level.  I definitely don't feel like I'll need Barrier, so I guess I can just go Ageless.  Dunno...I'll have to see if this seems truly needed, or if I'm sacrificing other options just to hit the S/L cap easier.  The original build had 70% S/L with no stacks, 83% with 2 stacks, and 88% with 2 stacks and Cimeroran Citizen.  Tough just seems like overkill, especially when Maul is giving me 3 stacks pretty consistently and in order to take the Fighting pool, I had to drop CJ, Meltdown and Darkest Night.

2) I don't think I'll swap the ATOs between Maul and Siphon, as I'm finding that the resist proc is more useful in AoE situations and I can always cycle Maul into my single target chain if needed, without a DPA loss.  

3) The extra defense with Weave seems nice.  With 2 stacks of Dark melee -tohit + Beta Decay, anything in close range is probably going to be whiffing a lot, even with ranged attacks from melee range.  With Fold Space, I can make sure things are largely in melee range, getting debuffed from Beta Decay, Maul and Soul Drain.  Lacking substantial DDR, I don't know how important it will be to focus on all of that defense, but it should help.  

4) Winter's Gift in Combat TP doesn't seem useful, so I left that out.  Combat TP is it's own slow fix.  I barely walk anywhere, the character just teleports to targets.

5) I did some optimization of procs and proc rates.  A lvl 34 Heal/Rech in Radiation Therapy keeps 90% proc rate, but gives as much recharge as can be squeezed out for more up-time.  Less resisted damage type procs are swapped in for S/L/Psi ones, where appropriate.  Thanks for the reminder

I'll have to play around with this a bit more.

Level 50 Science Tanker
Power Pool: Fighting

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(5), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(5), ImpArm-ResPsi(50)
Level 1: Shadow Punch -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(7), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(7), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), TchofDth-Dam%(11)
Level 4: Shadow Maul -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(13), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(13), Arm-Dam%(15), CldSns-%Dam(15)
Level 8: Proton Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(17), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(17), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 10: Fallout Shelter -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(19), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(21), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 12: Radiation Therapy -- TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(A), TchoftheN-%Dam(23), PrfZng-Dam%(23), Obl-%Dam(25), Erd-%Dam(25), ScrDrv-Dam%(27)
Level 16: Siphon Life -- SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(29), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(31), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 18: Particle Shielding -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(31), Prv-Heal/Rchg(33), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(33), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(33), Prv-Heal(34)
Level 20: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(34)
Level 22: Teleport -- Range-I(A)
Level 24: Combat Teleport -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 26: Ground Zero -- Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Erd-Dmg/Rchg(34), TchofLadG-%Dam(36), ScrDrv-Dam%(36), Obl-%Dam(36), Erd-%Dam(37)
Level 28: Soul Drain -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 30: Fold Space -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 35: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), GldArm-End/Res(40)
Level 38: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(40), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(40), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42)
Level 41: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Hct-Acc/Rchg(43), Hct-Dam%(43), CldSns-%Dam(45)
Level 44: Gloom -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg(45), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(46), CldSns-%Dam(46)
Level 47: Dark Obliteration -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg(48), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(50), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(50)
Level 49: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(39)
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
Level 50: Task Force Commander 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 50: Eye of the Magus 
------------

Keep in mind Slow debuff protection protects against recharge as well. It is the main reason anyone builds for that. Not all enemies do -recharge, but those who do can neuter attacks -and- defensive clickies. Again, just something to come back to if you notice this is a problem.

You can probably add 5% from Barrier. Barrier is a good Destiny slot to use as a panic button. Between the ATO stacks and Barrier to be honest most of my resist tanks don't even have Tough toggled up and it is only taken because I have to to reach Weave.

Just playing Devil's Advocate but in theory you'll be using Siphon in AoE situations anyway since you do not have enough AoE to just keep on cycling. If you were to take Touch of Fear you can actually do a rotation of ToF, Shadow Maul, ToF, Siphon. Repeat. While ToF is not great the spammability of the power makes the gap closer between other AoE powers. When we're in AoE situations we usually want to continue AoE, not use ST powers.

This is an old build I gave a quick polish before posting. S/L at 40% for Barrier's 5% to finish capping, everything but Cold and Psi requiring one more ATO stack and Barrier to reach 90% (or just three stacks of the ATO), powers slotted, damage procs, Tough still needs to be toggled on but meh, Radiation Armor sweats endurance. As a bonus it has Gloom and Dark Obliteration and the travel powers can be subbed for whatever, Tactics isn't needed (it's no FA).

Considering the damage I'd consider ToF instead of Dark Obliteration since Dark Obliteration is 160 damage on a 10 second CD while ToF can be obtained sooner (push Gamma Boost to 30 or such) and goes for 133 damage on a 2.5 second timer (ergo ToF, Shadow Maul, ToF). Two ToFs makes 260 damage and it's already ahead of Dark Obliteration while this one is still recharging. Bigger radius on Obliteration though, but thanks to the Tanker increased radius it's 9y wide which is decent-ish on top of soft CC.

Anyway, see if some of the slotting ideas are of help.

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(3), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(3)
Level 1: Shadow Punch -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(7), TchofDth-Dam%(9)
Level 2: Smite -- SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(13), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(13), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), TchofDth-Dam%(15), CldSns-%Dam(17)
Level 4: Shadow Maul -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Arm-Dam%(23)
Level 6: Fallout Shelter -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A)
Level 8: Hover -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(23)
Level 10: Proton Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25), UnbGrd-Max HP%(27)
Level 12: Beta Decay -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 14: Gamma Boost -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(27), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(29), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(29), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(31), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(31)
Level 16: Siphon Life -- HO:Golgi(A), HO:Golgi(31), HO:Nucle(33), Hct-Dmg(33), Hct-Dam%(33), TchofDth-Dam%(34)
Level 18: Particle Shielding -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(34), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(34), Prv-Heal/Rchg(36), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(36), Prv-Absorb%(36)
Level 20: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(37)
Level 22: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 24: Evasive Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Radiation Therapy -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(37), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(37), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(39), Pnc-Heal(39)
Level 28: Soul Drain -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(39), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), GssSynFr--Build%(40), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Tactics -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(42), EndRdx-I(42)
Level 35: Gloom -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(43), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Apc-Acc/Rchg(45), CldSns-%Dam(50)
Level 38: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(45), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(45), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 41: Dark Obliteration -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(46), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(46), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(48), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(48)
Level 44: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(48), Rct-Def/EndRdx(50), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 49: [Empty] -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(9), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(11), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(17)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 50: Portal Jockey
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 22: Afterburner
------------

• 2 months later

Circling back to this thread, I've done a lot of playing and tweaking with the build, and here's what I've settled on.  Posting here for posterity and any further feedback.

@Sovera, thanks for a lot of the feedback.  I took like 75% of it, but some just wasn't going to jive with what I was trying to do.  This version can easily face tank 54/8 of anything I've thrown at it while still putting out substantial damage, especially with the 30 target proc'd out Ground Zero.  I went back and tested Touch of Fear again, but the issue is the dismal DPA and the redundant IO sets it takes.  While Dark Obliteration does do less damage overall, it takes a unique IO set that I can't slot anywhere else and has nearly double the DPA and radius.  Shadow Maul is up A LOT, so ToF would just be fighting for activation time with it.

What really surprised me with this build after playing it is how sturdy it is against hard targets, without really needing to do much.  Once you drop Darkest Night down, you can just hit Siphon Life on cooldown and survive pretty much anything outside of 801's and Aeon hard modes.  

Level 50 Science Tanker

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Alpha Barrier

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (3) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (3) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (5) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance
  • (5) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (50) Impervium Armor - Psionic Resistance

Level 1: Shadow Punch

• (A) Touch of Death - Accuracy/Damage
  • (7) Touch of Death - Damage/Endurance
  • (7) Touch of Death - Damage/Recharge
  • (9) Touch of Death - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (9) Touch of Death - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (11) Touch of Death - Chance of Damage(Negative)

Level 2: Gamma Boost

• (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End

Level 4: Shadow Maul

• (A) Armageddon - Damage/Endurance
  • (11) Armageddon - Damage
  • (13) Armageddon - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (13) Armageddon - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (15) Armageddon - Chance for Fire Damage
  • (15) Cloud Senses - Chance for Negative Energy Damage

Level 6: Stealth

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed

Level 8: Proton Armor

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (17) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (17) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance
  • (19) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 10: Fallout Shelter

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP
  • (19) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (21) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (21) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 12: Radiation Therapy

• (A) Touch of the Nictus - Healing/Absorb/Recharge
  • (23) Touch of the Nictus - Chance for Negative Energy Damage
  • (23) Perfect Zinger - Chance for Psi Damage
  • (25) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage
  • (25) Eradication - Chance for Energy Damage
  • (27) Scirocco's Dervish - Chance of Damage(Lethal)

Level 14: Beta Decay

• (A) HamiO:Enzyme Exposure

Level 16: Siphon Life

• (A) Superior Might of the Tanker - Recharge/Chance for +Res(All)
  • (27) Superior Might of the Tanker - Damage/Recharge
  • (29) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (29) Superior Might of the Tanker - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (31) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage
  • (31) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 18: Particle Shielding

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb
  • (31) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
  • (33) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
  • (33) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (33) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
  • (34) Preventive Medicine - Heal

Level 20: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (34) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 22: Teleport

• (A) Range IO

Level 24: Combat Teleport

• (A) Winter's Gift - Slow Resistance (20%)

Level 26: Ground Zero

• (A) Superior Avalanche - Recharge/Chance for Knockdown
  • (34) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage
  • (36) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage
  • (37) Eradication - Chance for Energy Damage

Level 28: Soul Drain

• (A) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
  • (37) Superior Gauntleted Fist - RechargeTime/+Absorb
  • (37) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (39) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage
  • (39) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (42) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 30: Fold Space

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (42) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 32: Combat Jumping

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (40) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage
  • (40) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

Level 35: Meltdown

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

Level 38: Midnight Grasp

• (A) Hecatomb - Damage
  • (40) Hecatomb - Damage/Endurance
  • (43) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (43) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (43) Hecatomb - Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • (45) Cloud Senses - Chance for Negative Energy Damage

Level 41: Gloom

• (A) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • (42) Apocalypse - Damage
  • (45) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance
  • (46) Cloud Senses - Chance for Negative Energy Damage

Level 44: Dark Obliteration

• (A) Ragnarok - Chance for Knockdown
  • (45) Ragnarok - Damage
  • (48) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (48) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance
  • (50) Bombardment - Chance for Fire Damage