Is there a dummies guide to enhancement anywhere?

Balraw

Hello,

As per subject I am looking for a guide to enhancements aimed at a beginner or first character. 

To my shame I didn't become aware of City of Heroes until just before it was closed down as at the time I was deep into Final Fantasy 11.  So I never got to do anything in the game so fast forward now and I don't intend to make the same mistake so have fully dived in.

I am a newbie who is slowly trying to process a lot of information being thrown at me by the game but I am struggling with what I should be doing with enhancements.  I don't have a lot of influence 2 million or so from selling stuff on the AH and well that doesn't seem to get me a lot in terms of enhancements on the AH.

After a few false starts I have settled on a fire / fire sentinel to be my first to push to max and have just be working my way through the stories as all that is new to me.  So I want to experience it at least once and taking my time with it.

So with that in mind should I just slot the stuff I find or buy from the npc. Which does seem vastly more affordable at this point in my CoH adventure though I imagine vastly inferior too. Will that be good enough for what I want to do?

I guess I could look into crafting but my previous mmo experience leads me to believe that can be an expensive option.  Or just suck it up and spend on AH as and when I can afford stuff.

As I said I am not in a rush and will be doing just solo story with maybe some group stuff once I get a bit more confidence.  A general idea of what I should be aiming to do in terms of enhancements would be very welcome and I would offer my thanks in advance for any help.

Try the Paragonwiki website. It has a lot of useful information on the game. you can start crafting IO's ( Invention Origin) enhancements at lvl 7 for lvl 10 IO's. you can craft them at the University in Steel Canyon. There is a tutorial there that awards a lvl 15-20-25 enh for free. I forget the contanct atm but if you wait til 22 to do the tutorial you'll get the lvl 25 enh which is much better than the lvl 15. You'll never out level the IO's enhancements which is why most players use them. once you start using IO's you can just sell most of the enhament drops.

Best advice I can give:

As you play, slot whatever enhancement drop that are useful to you.  Don't forget that you can combine same type enhancements together to get a + or ++ for that type.  This means you can stretch the usefulness of a slotted enhancement for up to 2 more levels past its replacement date.

Do NOT buy any enhancements either at the stores or on the AH.  It is a waste of inf.  Unless you are constantly wanting to fight mobs at +4 it just isn't needed.  You'll find plenty of drops that help you fill out your slots as you play.  It won't be optimal but you can worry about optimal on your next 100 toons.

Once you've got a good bit of inf from selling drops you don't need, then you can start to fill in weak spots by crafting IOs at the university.  I use the university because you can access the auction house from there unlike when in a base.  Don't go crazy buying stuff.  Just focus on +ACC and +DAM with some +RECH or +HOLD as your powers need.  Recipes and salvage drop enough that you can usually craft a few useful ones and then buy a few salvage pieces to fill in.  Do not replace any IO.  Keep those level 10, 15, 20, etc... Just craft the highest you can at whatever time you choose.  Most players craft at 12, 17, 22, and 32.  Then keep those all the way to 50.

If you do manage to get drops for set items you can use them if you think they are really good for your character.  Normally you'll get more bang for your buck just by crafting them and selling them on the AH.  A few in demand recipes or salvage and you'll be flush with inf.

And yes, there are optimal pathways for slotting.  It is more complex and requires a decent bankroll of inf to accomplish.  Which is why a lot of players just do that on alts once they've got a few toons that rake in the inf.

Looking through everything that is exactly what I was looking for with both information and a general plan for progress.

Big Thanks from a hero who is still using the training wheels  ;)