Dominator's Martial Assault & Infiltration

Hi everybody. Happy Tuesday!

I like to build for concept, and I'm having a lot of fun with one of my niche ideas: a Mind/Martial Dominator. The pairing executes the concept to near-perfection and is yet another entry in a long, long list of reasons as to why I love this game.

That said, Martial Assault could use just a little, tiny, tiiiiiny bit more... oomph. It's by no means bad. Just wants a little seasoning.

My proposal is simple (I think - is anything in this game's code simple?) - let Envenomed Blades add a little more utility to just a handful of powers.

Every other Dominator secondary has some utility effect to it. One could argue that the +Toxic compensates for said utility, and that's not unfair, which is why I only want to add a little spice to just three powers in the set. They are:

-Shuriken Throw (-Regen)

-Trick Shot (-SPD or/and -Regen)

-Caltrops (-Res [Toxic or All] or/and -Regen)

With the right number values and limitations in place, I don't think these changes would be especially busted. Envenomed Blades could turn Shuriken Throw into a mini Envenomed Dagger, which I think is fitting. Trick Shot could get some added utility in stacking -SPD with Caltrops (to further trap enemies in said Caltrops, assuming the -SPD applies to each chain hit) or could continue with the -Regen theme. A small -Res to Toxic in Caltrops would make the Martial Dominator better at what it already does so long as enemies are in the Caltrops, or make everybody/everything else a little bit better at punishing enemies as they try to flee the Caltrops with a -Res to All. I understand that Toxic is already often not strongly resisted, but I don't think this would be asking for too much.

In all, I think these additions would give Martial Assault just a little more edge without making it too big stronk.

Now, onto the next point...

Infiltration... doesn't really make sense. It does on paper, and my guess is that there was an attempt to keep things as close to the original design as possible. However, it really, really needs to stack with Stealth. Alternatively, it needs an Invisible setting option in power customization ala Stealth, but I think they just need to stack.

It's not quite good enough as a stand-alone Travel Power (especially given that Super Speed has a stealth component), but it is perfect for opening up a little more movement for those who are investing in Concealment as-is. Or would be, if it could stack with Stealth, and seeing as we lose all stealth and defense from Infiltration when we attack, I don't see why these two things can't stack, even if it means cutting some of the defense values while they are active. I'm sure that's been suggested before, I'm just adding in my proverbial two cents.

Thanks for coming to my TedTalk, and I hope you all have a wonderful day.

See you in the Cities!

***Edit: Per arcane's suggestion, the +Toxic DMG totals from Envenomed Blades should be looked at.

Edited by Midgardian

they ever fix exploding wet noodle? 

noticed you talking about toxic here is a list of the average damage resistance bit old but so is the game TLDR toxic damage is the second most resisted damage type ingame

Edited by PainX
additional info

21 minutes ago, arcane said:

They just need to fix the toxic damage proc to be more potent and the set will be fine. 

I certainly wouldn't hate this, I just thought to add a little pizazz rather than call for a flat damage buff.

6 minutes ago, PainX said:

they ever fix exploding wet noodle? 

If they did, I wouldn't know - as far as I'm concerned, Masterful Throw is the T9.

Though, that could be something to think about: redesigning Explosive Shuriken. Maybe keeping in theme, make it a flat-out Ranged AoE, switch the DoT to Toxic, add -Res or/and -Regen?

Edited by Midgardian

9 minutes ago, Midgardian said:

I certainly wouldn't hate this, I just thought to add a little pizazz rather than call for a flat damage buff.

Sure but it’s more of a bug fix than a buff since it’s been thoroughly proven by the numbers that Envenomed Blades toxic proc is currently total trash compared to every other set’s damage buff.

Just now, arcane said:

Sure but it’s more of a bug fix than a buff since it’s been thoroughly proven by the numbers that Envenomed Blades toxic proc is currently total trash compared to every other set’s damage buff.

Ahhhh I didn't know that. Yeah, that ought to be addressed.

3 minutes ago, Midgardian said:

If they did, I wouldn't know - as far as I'm concerned, Masterful Throw is the T9.

for me it is thunder kick i know it is tier 2 but it still does 30 more DPA game dont make sense

On 6/21/2022 at 10:44 AM, Midgardian said:

Infiltration... doesn't really make sense. It does on paper, and my guess is that there was an attempt to keep things as close to the original design as possible. However, it really, really needs to stack with Stealth. Alternatively, it needs an Invisible setting option in power customization ala Stealth, but I think they just need to stack.

It's not quite good enough as a stand-alone Travel Power (especially given that Super Speed has a stealth component), but it is perfect for opening up a little more movement for those who are investing in Concealment as-is. Or would be, if it could stack with Stealth, and seeing as we lose all stealth and defense from Infiltration when we attack, I don't see why these two things can't stack, even if it means cutting some of the defense values while they are active. I'm sure that's been suggested before, I'm just adding in my proverbial two cents.

You can slot a Celerity or Unbounded Leap stealth IO directly in Infiltration, providing complete invisibility to all but snipers, Rikti drones, etc.. No need for Infiltration to stack with Stealth.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

22 minutes ago, Uun said:

You can slot a Celerity or Unbounded Leap stealth IO directly in Infiltration, providing complete invisibility to all but snipers, Rikti drones, etc.. No need for Infiltration to stack with Stealth.

The function of the mechanical +Stealth isn't in question here. The suggestion/request runs from purely cosmetic (a true Invisibility option [again, as is available to the Stealth power] as opposed to translucent and slightly-more-translucent as it would get with Celerity/Unbound Leap IO) to a direct benefit to the function of the power, both mechanically and conceptually.

The Stealth power retains some of its +Def values in combat, whereas Infiltration does not. In a world where you can stack Stealth with any combination of Combat Jumping and Super Speed (which many builds can have running constantly) with a +Stealth IO in any of those, or even in Sprint, I don't see how allowing Stealth and Infiltration to stack would be broken. That's not to say I think that kind of availability is unfair or busted - on the contrary, I'm a fan of incentivizing power investments/diversification.

Seeing as Infiltration's movement bonuses don't hold up to a true Travel Power, it seems to me that the power functions (or should function) as the Concealment pool's version of Evasive Maneuvers, even so far as it being a good place to stick a Luck of the Gambler +Rech with no further slotting. I suspect that serving as an LotG mule is currently the primary function of most builds that take Infiltration, for theme or for function - this suggestion is conscious of both.

Coincidentally, a good movement speed bonus is the one thing my brain ninja is missing, so yeah, it'd be nice if I could retain total invisibility (theme) and keep up with the flyers/jumpers/speedsters (function), and it'd be even nicer if I could do so without having to swap toggles between fights. Sure, that last bit is more of a QoL improvement than anything, so you're not gonna hear me whining about it too much, but it'd be nice to see the power get some true use (ie: in combat) in a build that has Stealth and Super Jump (to have both a true Travel Power and a place for the Winter +SlowRes IO).

TL/DR: Stealth + Infiltration isn't needed for +Stealth, but allowing them to stack provides a number of direct benefits that incentivize picking the power for more than just a slot mule. Otherwise, just put an Invisibility setting in the power's customization options.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, arcane said:

Is something actually wrong with Exploding Shuriken or do people just not like that its AoE component is weak? I like it as my non-snipe heavy blast on my Earth/Martial/Fire…

Admittedly, I can't say for sure. I saw it skipped on so many builds that I opted to do the same. My guess is that because it does have an AoE component, it might somewhat underperform as an Assault T9 to balance, but said AoE is unreliable. I  think LRM Rocket from Munitions Mastery has a similar problem? That said, that's all pure speculation.

29 minutes ago, Midgardian said:

Admittedly, I can't say for sure. I saw it skipped on so many builds that I opted to do the same. My guess is that because it does have an AoE component, it might somewhat underperform as an Assault T9 to balance, but said AoE is unreliable. I  think LRM Rocket from Munitions Mastery has a similar problem? That said, that's all pure speculation.

It's not an AoE attack. The splash DoT is very weak (about 16 dmg total). The base damage and recharge as a ST attack is the same as Blaze and Bitter Ice Blast, so it's in line with other  ST ranged T9s (Blaze has higher DoT, but it's ST). Certainly not as good as Power Burst or Thorn Barrage, but quite serviceable.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

37 minutes ago, Uun said:

It's not an AoE attack. The splash DoT is very weak (about 16 dmg total). The base damage and recharge as a ST attack is the same as Blaze and Bitter Ice Blast, so it's in line with other  ST ranged T9s (Blaze has higher DoT, but it's ST). Certainly not as good as Power Burst or Thorn Barrage, but quite serviceable.

That’s my guess is that people might say the power is bad because the AoE barely tickles. But they’re missing the point: it’s a Blaze with a little baby splash, not a Fire Ball.