Viability of Spines (Scrapper vs Brute)

Cheddacheese

Hi all!

I was wondering how Spines perform on a scrapper compared to a brute?

Currently I am still not sure if I should roll it on a scrapper or a brute.

I know that dmg auras are very good on brutes, however with the ATOs, I would assume that a scrapper still comes out on top in terms of dmg?

If I would roll a scrapper, what would be the best spot for ATO2?

Sidenote: I will probably go for either /Rad or /Bio for thematic reasons (and I like taunt auras :D)

It all depends on the secondary and content you want to run. With scrapper IO you can get 2 automatic crit with spines in that 3 sec window.  It’s IMO better damage if they stay close.

Ripper 3sec crit window starts throw spines + spine burst repeat 

Where you run into issues is not having a punchvoke taunt. Everything will try and scatter. The slows of spines will help a little but they still need more help. 

My rule of thumbs in if you can get 2 big hitters in the 3 sec crit window scrapper edges out if not brute for a little extra survival.

If it’s between /rad or /bio I would suggest bio. Rad is to slow on animation. Great on paper but the animation hurt rotations. My fav scrap I ever played was a Spine/Ice the slow prevented escape ,  2 damage aura and Icey bastion is arguably one of the best T9 Survivability powers in game. It could do farms at respectable pace and powered level most of my toons. Best of luck. 

If it was a Spine/bio scrapper vs brute I would suggest Scrapper also the damage bonus from bio would be greater on scrapper because it has a higher damage  modifier 1.125 I believe vs .75 on brute. So damage modifier will have a greater effect on scrappers 

Edited by Ironscarlet
  • Thanks 1

@Ironscarlet thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

At first I was leaning more towards spines/rad (scrapper) since rad is a bit less squishy compered to bio. However I like the dmg bonus bio gets, and something that is dead cannot kill your 😄

I mostly play on teams (like 90 % of the time) all type of content. Not sure how well spines is suited for this type of content ?

Bio really thrives on recharge being able to quickly heal and reapply its regeneration it can survive really well.  I would suggest focusing on recharge and damage till you can get the proper rotation then branch out to proc or defcap

Also rad is ok but with massive debuff higher level it’s better to not be hit . Dark/rad is a good combo for that. -to hit is like extra def for you.  Also you will find meltdown long animation is really long but it does have a really nice mini nuke

Edited by Ironscarlet