Cowboy Theme

drgantz

For a while, I've thought about making a Cowboy Theme, or a Dirty Harry homage.

I thought of DP/MC but I didn't think that the MC attacks looked right for the theme.

I recently thought of making DP/Temp and skipping some of the Temp melee attacks and then taking all Fighting Pool powers.  I think that Cross Punch would be a good themed attack.  I've read that taking both Boxing and Kick would enhance Cross Punch as well.

Does this sound like a good idea, or is it a waste of powers?

Well it depends on how far you want to go to fit your concept...

Cross Punch is a step down for blasters from its own secondary melee attacks.

If you can ignore the targeting done, since you can turn off the invisible effect from the cloak, then Devices might be good.

Otherwise I agree that Temporal is your best bet

• Like 1

If you're skipping the temp melee attacks, you could have also skipped the Martial melee attacks. 

I only say this because I find Martial to be a very solid set without it's attacks.  I run on my Stone blaster which has become my most played toon once it was full built.  I like that Reach for the Limit gives a constant damage boost that I don't need another click power for.  Reaction Time has an AoE slow movement power, which is excellent for helping to kite full spawns around while you blast away out of melee.  And the way Inner Will works is that you can set it on auto, and it'll only fire when you get a status effect.  If you combine this with good defense, you'll find you're status protection to be good enough for almost all situations.   All these add up to me pumping out non-stop ranged damage output from my primary attack set.

Even Ki Push is huge for reducing incoming damage by shoving something out of melee and taking it out of the fight for 4-5 seconds.  

Time also has solid benefits outside of it's attacks, so either is a good choice.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Time's melee attacks are quite solid and certainly better than those in the Fighting pool. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something that worked thematically if you changed the colors.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

4 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

If you're skipping the temp melee attacks, you could have also skipped the Martial melee attacks. 

I only say this because I find Martial to be a very solid set without it's attacks. 

Thank you everyone for your advice.  Everyone's advice has been awesome, but I especially like this one.  I've often heard that MC was one of the best DP secondaries, but something always felt wrong when I played it.  I'll try it this way.

• Like 1