Energy Aura

Aiax

Quick question...

Have a new concept for character and planning to go energy aura either scrapper or brute.  I know that energy aura is typically better on a stalker (but a stalker doesn't go with the concept), and defence sets are better on scrappers and resist sets on brutes....but is energy aura better on a brute or scrapper or is it basically a wash?

Thank you!

• Like 1

It's great on either.  Because EnA is a defense set, a Scrapper and a Brute will have very similar levels of durability while their DPS gap remains the same.  On the offensive side, EnA provides +recharge which both archetypes benefit from, as opposed to raw damage bonus in sets like Shield Defense (which Scrappers make better use of).  I guess you could say +rech helps a Brute generate Fury more easily, but Fury isn't in short supply even with counterintuitive sets like Ice Armor.   

With that in mind, from a min/max perspective, I'd lean Scrapper.  Higher DPS with a minimal loss of survivability (and still one of the sturdiest Scrappers you can make).  But  that's also not a compelling reason you shouldn't go Brute either, they can tank a bit better if you're into that thanks to a proper taunt and a stronger taunt aura.

I'd go with concept.  Characters tend to feel more "smash" or more "scrappy" depending on design, so just go with your gut.  You really can't go wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Aiax said:

Quick question...

Have a new concept for character and planning to go energy aura either scrapper or brute.  I know that energy aura is typically better on a stalker (but a stalker doesn't go with the concept), and defence sets are better on scrappers and resist sets on brutes....but is energy aura better on a brute or scrapper or is it basically a wash?

Thank you!

Probably better to say Defense sets are better for a scrapper since their resistances are capped at 75%. Brutes cap at 90% resistance so are agnostic in regards to Defense sets vs Resistance sets.

If maximum damage is your thing, then go Scrapper. If survival, while putting out good damage is more your kick, go Brute, but realize that while they have a higher resistance cap than scrappers, you have to work to reach it (at least on your own). 

Hmmm...I really need to remake my SS/EA brute from Live at some point.

Never really had any problem keeping mobs taunted around me on my energy aura scrapper unless a brute or tank came along to "steal" them.  Main difference really is brute will have more hps.  That isn't nothing as one of the few weak spots of energy aura is that it has no hp buff.  I'd say it is pretty much a wash though and for energy aura I'd go either way.