Empathy's Auras... WTF?

Ringo

I don't think I've ever really looked at the Empathy set since 2004.  It was just never my cup of tea, looked boring and uneventful.  Smash cut to today where I'm finally thinking, "Hey, I've done almost everything in this game - maybe I should finally give Empathy a go!"

Only to find out that Recovery Aura and Regeneration Aura are on EIGHT MINUTE TIMERS?!?

just... why?  and why does anybody play this set?

4 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

a very high recharge time probably because it’s so powerful

A pair of empaths can perma each other.  It is downright ludicrous what they can do, paired.

• Thumbs Up 2

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

1 hour ago, Linea said:

A pair of empaths can perma each other.  It is downright ludicrous what they can do, paired.

And gets more ridiculous (like a lot of support sets) the more you group.  Empaths just push that curve fairly hard.  3+ is a whole lot more potent than 1 or 2.

PS:  That ~8 min cool down on a high end build can get to 30 or 40 seconds.  Buffed with further recharge, say another Empaths AB it'll push the cooldown under 20 seconds.  You'd have to really try to burn your entire end bar in 20 seconds short of powers that drain you dry when they 'crash' (for example, Elude)

PS 2:  At least a couple Empathy builds have solo'd a +4/×8 ITF, including one by @Linea.  

Edited by Doomguide2005

21 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

PS 2:  At least a couple Empathy builds have solo'd a +4/×8 ITF, including one by @Linea.  

Wow.  I can barely solo the Matthew Hashaby arc with mine 🙂

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

22 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

At least a couple Empathy builds have solo'd a +4/×8 ITF, including one by @Linea.  

Edited 22 hours ago by Doomguide2005

Likely many more.  

I did it by turning the empath into an armored offensive force.  Assume you're a corruptor first, build like that, then build on the empath secondary to make the corruptor offense stronger and/or more durable, ... And do it all on the defender frame for the better multiplier numbers and easier build manipulation and flexibility.

Voltak did it by leveraging the buffs and Lore on a support oriented build.  I mean you have your own army, might as well use it.  Then use standard offense in-between summons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

5 minutes ago, Linea said:

Likely many more.  

I did it by turning the empath into an armored offensive force.  Assume you're a corruptor first, build like that, then build on the empath secondary to make the corruptor offense stronger and/or more durable, ... And do it all on the defender frame for the better multiplier numbers and easier build manipulation and flexibility.

Voltak did it by leveraging the buffs and Lore on a support oriented build.  I mean you have your own army, might as well use it.  Then use standard offense in-between summons.

Could you share your armored offensive empath build?  I'd love to see what you did

Though looking into it further - it seems that only Fortitude and Clear Mind truly benefit from being on a Defender  (at least, I don't think the difference in heal values make a huge difference in play?).  The Auras and Adrenaline Boost are equal across ATs.  Is the 30% Vigilance damage boost one of the reasons why you chose soloing a Defender instead of a Corruptor?

13 minutes ago, Ringo said:

Could you share your armored offensive empath build?  I'd love to see what you did

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's worth noting (and I can't tell as I can't open Mids if any of the above builds use one in Fortitude) that Fortitude will accept and buff the user with the Gaussian's proc as far as I know.

And the idea of stacking the Gaussian's proc and Soul Drain is yummy to me.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Clarity
  • Like 1

I don't remember if I put Guassian's in Aim or Souldrain.  It's effectively perma in Souldrain, but more flexible for malfactoring in aim.  I've done both in various builds, depending on application.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah that would one advantage to placement in Fortitude, exemplar.  Fortitude exemplar can be as early as 7th.  Fortitude also has a relatively short base recharge (while still at 60 sec) often accompanied by lots of global recharge.  Not sure what the max recharge is for 90% proc chances but I'm guessing you'd have a lot of uptime on a team where you're keeping it up on 6+ teammates (and/or pets).   Really missing being able to log in and test it out (and find out if I'm smoking something)