game crash help plz

meyerwolf406

my coh homecoming game keeps crashing randomly. sometimes as soon as I log into the game with my char sometimes after 2 hrs of playing. I get the crash screen with dump file with crash report options and when I try to log back in it says that account is already logged on.  It is not a computer crash but a game crash. I have verified GPU driver is up to date and am at a loss.  It's been doing this for a few weeks now and as many as 5 times a day.  I'm at a loss and looking for some help.  Every other aspect of my computer works fine no other game crash but with that being said I dont play any other game as much as COH.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. if there is a better spot for this thread plz let me know.

You may be better off posting this in the tech support/help section, but here's a few thoughts:

1. If you have more than 1 hard drive or partition, try installing the game there and see if it makes a difference, (it's a pretty small game, relatively speaking, so shouldn't take too long) - use a separate instance of the Homecoming launcher to do this.

2. If you have an antivirus or firewall installed, temporarily disable it while playing.

3. Close all other running programs.

4. Try the "run in safe mode" or -usetexenvcombine launch options to see if it makes any difference.

Hope some of the above helps...

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, biostem said:

You may be better off posting this in the tech support/help section, but here's a few thoughts:

1. If you have more than 1 hard drive or partition, try installing the game there and see if it makes a difference, (it's a pretty small game, relatively speaking, so shouldn't take too long) - use a separate instance of the Homecoming launcher to do this.

2. If you have an antivirus or firewall installed, temporarily disable it while playing.

3. Close all other running programs.

4. Try the "run in safe mode" or -usetexenvcombine launch options to see if it makes any difference.

Hope some of the above helps...

Thank you for that I didnt see a Tech support section or tab.  I'll look again.

1. I have 2 1TB M.2 SSD I use one for OS and misc stuff and the second just for games.  Homecoming, FH4, and some steam games not many. 668GB free on game drive. but you are correct wouldn't take much space to reinstall Homecoming on C drive

2. No Antivirus or firewall on this comp

3. I am runing ICUE, software, NZXT cam for my Kraken 360 AIO and MSI afterburning with Riva Tuner but  thats about it.

4. Not familiar with -usetexenvcombine I will look into it.

Thank you very much for the help ill let you know  what I find.

Edited by meyerwolf406
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don't count the "account is already logged in" in your troubleshooting. That's a known issue, and happens even with graceful logouts if you're fast enough.

Try setting Afterburner to a default profile, just to see if the problem persists. CoH doesn't need overclocking anyway!

Good luck!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

A while ago, I noticed that when I had an OC on my GPU that the game would randomly crash.  I also had other issues with that GPU though where even at stock it would sometimes black my screen and turn the GPU fans to 100%.  For that I ended up needing to under clock the GPU... Interestingly enough, that seems to have been a Windows thing, as when I switched to Linux it never did that at stock speed.

Anyway, I've derailed, try going to stock speed on your GPU, that's my suggestion.

• Thumbs Up 2

What this team needs is more Defenders

15 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Don't count the "account is already logged in" in your troubleshooting. That's a known issue, and happens even with graceful logouts if you're fast enough.

Try setting Afterburner to a default profile, just to see if the problem persists. CoH doesn't need overclocking anyway!

Good luck!

I will try turning afterburner to default. Mostly use it for fans speed control and on screen display from Riva tuner . 3080TI with a 5950x dont really need to OC for COH lol 

Edited by meyerwolf406
  • Thumbs Up 1

"account is already logged in" = client closed w/o logout.  You get that on every hard crash.  The first attempt to log back in 'resets' the account state, so you can log in on the following attempt.  The 'account still active when client not present' bit is how the servers keep accounts active if the client experiences a short glitch in network connection. Ever see those momentary "mapserver lost" messages that disappear? If this weren't in place, you'd get disconnected and dropped every time those happened.  So yeah, this isn't a client problem, just a server response to a client problem.  Working As Intended. 

THAT SAID... I agree with Doc Ditko, overclocking can mess with older games like this.  Keep in mind that this is using a 10-year-old graphics engine, that at the time was tuned to mid to high tier systems.  So it works your GPU and CPU pretty hard (or did, back in the day) and likely isn't too tolerant of timing changes.  I'd set up a 'normal' profile for running CoH, and if you have other apps where you get benefit from overclocking, switch to that profile for those. 

• Thumbs Up 2

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!