Cloak of Fear + Invoke Panic?

InvaderStych

Specifically this combo, I've only played at length on my fear stalker (Dark/Dark/Body).

It works pretty much as expected.  Cloak of Fear is a mag 2 Fear with an 8 foot radius, meaning it will affect minions only by itself.  It also has a -to hit effect which affects all opponents.  It needs a lot of help with accuracy and with endurance reduction.  Invoke Panic is a mag 3 fear with a 20 foot radius, which means it will affect minions and lts by itself.  There is no -to hit effect.  It also has below normal accuracy, and with a 60 second base recharge can be up pretty often.

Mix them together, and you can get a mag 5 fear that will take down bosses (or AVs with the purple triangles down).  Now, keep in mind that Fear is kind of an odd bird, mez-wise.  It's sort of a combination of stun and immobilize.  Just by standing there and Invoking Panic whenever it comes up will pretty much can keep up to 10 targets "mostly" out of action.  But it requires a lot of investment in accuracy/to hit and in endurance reduction, because this is a hungry hungry hippo.

On another note, and I may write more about this on another thread, there is a lot of synergy between Cloak of Fear and Oppressive Gloom, thanks to procs.  Unspeakable Terror proc in Cloak of Fear adds % for mag 2 stun which makes Oppressive Gloom more effective.  Absolute Amazement proc in Oppressive Gloom adds % for -to hit which makes Cloak of Fear more effective.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

I've used these two (plus the Vig power) on a Dark/Elec tanker, leaning into the control aspect with incarnates. Been a good while since I dusted him off but yeah if memory serves it does result in a decent number of cowering bad guys.

(As far as the endurance and accuracy issues go, I run Vigor Alpha to address both.)

• Like 1

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

On another note, and I may write more about this on another thread, there is a lot of synergy between Cloak of Fear and Oppressive Gloom, thanks to procs.  Unspeakable Terror proc in Cloak of Fear adds % for mag 2 stun which makes Oppressive Gloom more effective.  Absolute Amazement proc in Oppressive Gloom adds % for -to hit which makes Cloak of Fear more effective.

Oooh. I like this.  I've not a lot of experience with OG.  Something to consider.

As I understand Terrorize - it keeps them from moving, but they can return fire if they are attacked.  Even if they return fire they still don't run around - sort of a low-key immobilize in that respect.  LMK if that is right, or there is some mechanic surrounding mob resistance, rank, or purple patch that lets them move while under the effect.

Basically the idea was to keep mobs cowering in Ice's paired Rains, if they are counter-attacking I'm ok with that.

But this interaction between CoF/OG is something I might have to give a try instead.

1 hour ago, SeraphimKensai said:

If your a vigilante, you can also stack Fear Incarnate on top for another mag 2 fear.

Oh yeah, forgot about this one.  👍

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

3 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

As I understand Terrorize - it keeps them from moving, but they can return fire if they are attacked.  Even if they return fire they still don't run around - sort of a low-key immobilize in that respect.  LMK if that is right, or there is some mechanic surrounding mob resistance, rank, or purple patch that lets them move while under the effect.

IIRC, the dynamics of Terrorize is that they cower in place unless they are damaged or otherwise affected.  Then they either make an attack or run away a short distance before cowering again.  So I guess that it's more accurate to say that Fear is a weird hybrid of immobilize, stun, AND sleep.  Regardless, they should stay in the immediate area, although probably not right next to you.

In practice with CoF and OP is that while both Fear and Stun can be in play at the same time, the movement from Stun seems to overwrite that of Fear (probably because the effect is applied more in my build).  So in play I get a big group of enemies that initially cower, then stand up and wander aimlessly for a few seconds in Stun mode, then go back to cower mode.

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

To add a little more on some of the incarnate interactions, I pair Cloak/Invoke/OG with Control Radial hybrid and Spectral Core interface. Cloak & Invoke get the Unspeakable Terror +stun proc, and OG has the Razzle Dazzle +immob proc.

This setup effectively means fears, immobs and stuns are stacking on everything everywhere. Combined with Vigor Radial alpha increasing fear duration (as well as helping with end and acc) the net result is a large swath of enemies under some kind of soft control pretty much from go.

@Cutter

12 minutes ago, Cutter said:

To add a little more on some of the incarnate interactions, I pair Cloak/Invoke/OG with Control Radial hybrid and Spectral Core interface. Cloak & Invoke get the Unspeakable Terror +stun proc, and OG has the Razzle Dazzle +immob proc.

This setup effectively means fears, immobs and stuns are stacking on everything everywhere. Combined with Vigor Radial alpha increasing fear duration (as well as helping with end and acc) the net result is a large swath of enemies under some kind of soft control pretty much from go.

Spectral has a higher % rate, but Cognitive is far more amusing in my book.

Although Fear counts as “control” with respect to a lot of things (including Control Core Hybrid), it does not count for the extra damage for a controller’s inherent ability.

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Spectral has a higher % rate, but Cognitive is far more amusing in my book.

Although Fear counts as “control” with respect to a lot of things (including Control Core Hybrid), it does not count for the extra damage for a controller’s inherent ability.

The confuse does sound entertaining. But I wanted to add the +immob proc to stack with my enhancement procs, to better my odds of triggering the +stun proc from my hybrid. Adding a 4th control didn't seem as good an idea as supporting the existing 3 (and also, Spectral is spooky and has an aesthetic with my screaming CoF faces).

@Cutter