Using a joystick/controller?

moosecrack

On 11/24/2020 at 2:58 AM, Lunchmoney said:

I can't help, but couldn't resist a small joke 😉

Eventually, I might get a new gamepad.

That will have to come after a new Graphics card.

If I can find one that will work with my prehistoric desktop.

If not, then that will have to come after a new desktop.

Fortunately, CoH still plays on the old thing.

Just can't set graphics to ultra. 😒

• 1 year later

I use am xbox 360 controller.  Never needed additional software to get it to work.  Really they only downside is that i have to remap things each new toon i create.  My basic setup is.

Left Trigger = power1
Right Trigger = Power2

x = Power3

y = Power4

b = Power5

Start = Power6

Left thump Stick Down = Power 9

Right thump stick down = Power 0

Select Button = Map

Left Bumber/Right Bumber cycle through enemies.

Thumbpad cycles through trays

2 sticks for movement

The limitations are that you would have to not use powers 7 & 8 in this setup, but i never had an issue with this as cycling through 4 trays is enough for any regularly used powers.  Don't recommend this for playing a mastermind though, am still working that one out.  

Macros can be used for taking inspirations and location powers so you don't need to use the mouse.  The only time I mouse is clicking on objects.  Targeting can also be an issue without a mouse if there are a large number of enemies to cycle through, but you learn how to angle your view to eliminate unwanted groups of enemies, and how to press the buttons really really fast.

On 4/28/2019 at 8:20 AM, moosecrack said:

I am trying to get a friend into the game but he struggles with using a keyboard.

Has anyone every tried playing city of heroes with a joystick or controller? If so, any type/brand recommendations, and could someone explain how to set it up? I’m not the most tech savvy, I have been googling for a while now and I can’t find anything specific to City of heroes.

Here is my setup.  Of particular impotrance to your question in the Razer Tartarus unit.  It has 20 programmable keys. (that is two powerbars worth, and really all you need) one for nearly every power you will regularly use on a build.  It has a thumb joystick controller I use for movement and a button over the thumb i dedicate to target nearest. under the thumb is a twitch plate i use for spacebar (jump)  

Then a mouse with a couple more buttons....and there ya go

1567464106_gamingdesktop.thumb.jpg.df1efbb1bfb552d022e8ec551d2924bb.jpg

Razer Tartarus V2 Gaming Keypad: Mecha-Membrane Key Switches - 32 Programmable Keys - Customizable Chroma RGB Lighting - Programmable Macros -

Nice setup! 

I also have a Tartarus, and the only issue I noted with the use of the thumb-rocker and 'space' key is that I have a problem with holding the space key down whilst simultaneously maneuvering the rocker.  So I can jump STRAIGHT UP but as soon as I try to maneuver, i'm on the way back down.   So instead I'm using four keys on the pad itself as a WASD movement set, which sacrifices those keys for anything else.  I'm using the thumbrocker as a target switch (previous/next/closest/defeated) instead of movement. 

But, can't beat the ergos of the thing, it's really nicely designed.

• Like 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

9 minutes ago, MistressOhm said:

Nice setup! 

I also have a Tartarus, and the only issue I noted with the use of the thumb-rocker and 'space' key is that I have a problem with holding the space key down whilst simultaneously maneuvering the rocker.  So I can jump STRAIGHT UP but as soon as I try to maneuver, i'm on the way back down.   So instead I'm using four keys on the pad itself as a WASD movement set, which sacrifices those keys for anything else.  I'm using the thumbrocker as a target switch (previous/next/closest/defeated) instead of movement. 

But, can't beat the ergos of the thing, it's really nicely designed.

When needing constant upward acceleration I just alt hand over to the spacebar.  Generally not in combat while doing this.  But I use fly not Super Jump

• Thumbs Up 1