Schattenfaust Costume...Thoughts?

Attache

I've had this name (it means Shadowfist in German) for a bit and always figured he was a product of the Council's Vampyri super soldier program gone right but I struggled with coming up with a costume I liked. This one has hit about the closet but not 100% sold so I thought I'd seek some input.

The green gloves are a homage to the Vampyri and I can't decide if I love them or hate them. The colors are off in the animated gif and his eyes strobe much slower...I just suck at making animated gifs.

Thoughts? 

Schattenfaust1.png.ffda677c79a316a66fda45289556140e.png288209470_gification(1).thumb.gif.640bc631fc447f18e3aab3a3db74fb71.gif

• Like 1

@Attache on Everlasting (Formely Virtue and Pinnacle)

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Blue Weasel || Big League || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter ||  Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

Don't take this the wrong way, but for a guy whose name begins "Shadow..." he's got a lot of color going on.  It's my own personal preference, but if I was making this, I'd probably use layers of dark grey to replace a lot of the red.  Use the red, perhaps, but very sparingly. 

The last part of his name is "...fist".  Singular.  Perhaps use asymmetrical setting and have only one colored fist?

Just thinking out loud.  I might try to recreate your look and then try some coloring to see what it might achieve.

I've tried to recreate your work (not sure on the skull face/mask) and then tinker with the coloring a bit.  I've not changed any patterns or pieces (except possibly the face, and that by accident) with the exception of the eye aura.  I'll get to that.

1. I chose to reduce the number of reds used, and tone it to a darker red.

2. Building on the "Shadow" concept, I inserted darker grays, close to black.  While these may prove too dark for your taste, I found that lightening them a notch still keeps things shadowy.

3. Taking "Shadowfist" for inspiration, I went to asymmetrical gloves, leaving the symbolic green glove on the left hand, and switching to patterned grays on what I presume is the dominant fist.

4. For this experiment, I changed from the pulsating beastly rage eyes, and went to Glow's glowing eyes, then changed the bright orange, moving all the way to the left on the orange line to get a less brash, smoldering orange look.  It also works pretty well with black and charcoal grey which deliver a soft ghostly light glow to the eye sockets.

These are just suggestions, don't feel obligated to use any of it.

2261509_Sh_faustRework.thumb.jpg.8611f4d923c172fa9058ab40597b17e9.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Techwright said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but for a guy whose name begins "Shadow..." he's got a lot of color going on.  It's my own personal preference, but if I was making this, I'd probably use layers of dark grey to replace a lot of the red.  Use the red, perhaps, but very sparingly. 

Hey, thanks for replying! No wrong way taken! In the original interpretation, I was trying to reflect some Council/5th Column origins but as I thought about it more, I figured this character would consider himself superior to his fellow research subjects and would probably separate his costumes from his origins so before I saw this response, I got even more colorful!

Speaking to color, I tend to lean more towards 4-color Silver-Age inspired color pallets - a lot of deep reds, purples, greens for villains, etc. So I'm not too worried about the name reflecting that much in the costume as the name is more a reflection of his powers - Dark Melee.

After seeing this, I did log on and take your advice and darken the new colors I used and it is much better. I'm liking him him a lot more now. 

Eyes. Again, I've not getting notifications on my replies so before I saw this, I switched from Beastly Rages eyes to Volcanic. They kind of alternate which gives him a slightly crazed look. I had tried Glow first - it is practically a default when I do glowing eye guys - but I didn't like it on him.

I tried asymmetries with the gloves but I didn't like them either. I really wish we had asymmetrical aura and/or power choices  - one fist taking on a dark glow in combat would be cool and has great comic book precedent. 

I'll try to post up some screenies in a bit. I appreciate the input and may do a shades of gray costume for a stealth look. You made a ton of good points but for a main look, I just like a little more pop in general.

Edited by Attache
  • Thumbs Up 1

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Blue Weasel || Big League || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter ||  Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

19 hours ago, Attache said:

I really wish we had asymmetrical aura and/or power choices  - one fist taking on a dark glow in combat would be cool and has great comic book precedent. 

I've never considered that but it makes a lot of sense!  Probably the best comic example is Power Fist from Marvel, but there's others like Xi'an, aka "Desert Ghost" leader of X-men 2099, who had a different power emanating from each hand.  Do you know if someone has posted it as a suggestion?

I totally understand your choices.  It's your character.  If I helped in any minor way, that's great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Techwright said:

Do you know if someone has posted it as a suggestion?

I have to imagine someone has but maybe not. I have mixed feelings about posting suggestions as it just feels like few ever come to fruition and I totally get the an all-volunteer GM crew has limited time and resources to make things for the game so they need to prioritize. They seem to want to put most focus on making new content and as someone who generally feels like a lot of the game has boiled down to doing the same 5-6 things to level, something new is appreciated.

I can't speak for anyone else but if they were to spreadsheet all the costume, weapon, and aura suggestions and do an entire Page devoted to doing as many of the most requested things as they could, I would love it. Costumes are content too and I would love to see new additions plus some upgrades to some of the things that are particularly showing their age. However, it is my understanding that there may only be one 3D artist available and that is bound to bottleneck things. Understandable.

On 11/9/2022 at 6:15 PM, Attache said:

he was a product of the Council's Vampyri super soldier program gone right

When you say "gone right", do you mean that he still looks human, or that he was able to break free of the mental conditioning, etc?  In short, does he look like a Council Vampyri under the mask?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, biostem said:

When you say "gone right", do you mean that he still looks human, or that he was able to break free of the mental conditioning, etc?  In short, does he look like a Council Vampyri under the mask?

"Gone right" from his warped perspective in that he is much more powerful than typical Vampyri (or will be when I level and slot him up) and has free will, etc. Under the mask, I figure is a Vampyri-isque but more hideous.

It would be "gone wrong" from a sane person's sensibilities. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, biostem said:

I don't know if this is too close to the original Vampyri or not, but I did include an alternate mask for you consideration:

vindictive vampyri1.jpg

vindictive vampyri2.jpg

vindictive vampyri2.costume 6.99 kB · 0 downloads vindictive vampyri3.costume 7.03 kB · 1 download

Oooooooh...this is pretty cool. I may use some of this if he ever does/has a straight up Vampyri look. Thank you!

Edited by Attache
Addition to add gratitude!
  • Thanks 1