Setting Boundaries In Urban Life: The SPEAR powerset

AspieAnarchy

SPEAR (Melee)

Available to: Scrappers, Tankers

Set Color: Chestnut-on-Very Light Grey

You bring one of Mankind’s oldest weapons against the fearsome unknown – the noble spear or similar polearm – into the modern age. The spear is a demanding weapon, rather slow and with higher-than-average endurance costs, but makes up for it with superior range (albeit that cannot be further improved with Enhancements) and a variety of secondary effects to keep your enemies off their guard and you on yours. Extensive training with your weapon makes your attacks more accurate than average.

1) Thrust – A basic, exceptionally-accurate spear attack.

Damage: Moderate Lethal Recharge: Fast

2) Stab – A fearsome stab that both slows the target’s recovery rate and slightly improves your defense against retaliation.

Damage: Moderate Lethal Recharge: Fast

3) Sweep – Sweeping your spear in an arc in front of you harms all opponents in the area, has a limited chance to knock them down, and slightly boosts your defense.

Damage: Moderate Lethal Recharge: Moderate

4) Perforate (Scrapper) – a quick series of vicious stabs that briefly lowers both the target’s defense and recovery rate.

Damage: High Lethal (DoT) Recharge: Moderate

OR

Taunt (Tanker)

5) Build Up

6) Confront (Scrapper)

OR

Intervene (Tanker) – You swing at nearby foes in a comparatively-limited arc in such a manner as to block their own attacks against your comrades, thereby briefly boosting the defenses of nearby allies.

Damage: Minor Lethal Recharge: Moderate

7) Impale (Scrapper) – You drive your spear so hard into your target that it it is likely to protrude through its backside; the enemy is subjected to heavy loss of recovery and brief immobilization.

Damage: Extreme Lethal Recharge: Slow

OR

Spin the Needle (Tanker) – A spectacular spinning-attack with a decent chance of knocking foes down or a short distance away, as well as boosting your own defense a little.

Damage: High Lethal Recharge: Slow

😎 Spin the Needle (Scrapper)

OR

Impale (Tanker)

9) Champion’s Charge (Scrapper) – You charge a single targeted foe up to a medium distance away, not only damaging it, but likely any foe unfortunate enough to have been standing between the two of you [This is technically a very slender cone-attack originating from the initial target’s location]. This attack has an especially high chance for a Critical Hit against the primary target, and both it and secondary targets will suffer reduced defense.

Damage: Extreme Lethal Recharge: Long

OR

Double-Header (Tanker) – You swing your spear forward and then back in a mighty combo sure to knock foes directly in front of and behind you down and slightly away. They are likely to be heavily stunned as well [This is technically a very slender cone-attack centered on or slightly to the rear of the Spear-Tanker].

Damage: Superior Lethal Recharge: Moderate

Example Character Concept: The Legendary Luin! (Heroic Spear/Fiery Aura Magic Scrapper)

Edited by AspieAnarchy
color-coded Archetype attributions and attack damage-types
  • Like 1

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem

6 hours ago, Greycat said:

Not giving it to brutes or stalkers? 🙂

For Stalkers I think it would be inappropriate; I'd be all in favor of 'anything goes' if this were a freeform character-design game (funny story, my first-ever post on the Live forums was a request to get rid of Archetypes entirely - as fate would have it, I never checked back into that thread, and can only imagine what assortment of incredulous/snarky/patient-but-frustrated reactions I must've received), but since instead we have Archetypes, I'm against indiscriminate proliferation.

As for Brutes, I had a reason, but the details escape me at the moment; possibly something to do with both feeling a tad inappropriate (as a lesser version of above) and triangulating this against other Melee sets I'd been working on that Brutes would most definitely get, but would not be universal either.

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

4 hours ago, AspieAnarchy said:

For Stalkers I think it would be inappropriate; I'd be all in favor of 'anything goes' if this were a freeform character-design game (funny story, my first-ever post on the Live forums was a request to get rid of Archetypes entirely - as fate would have it, I never checked back into that thread, and can only imagine what assortment of incredulous/snarky/patient-but-frustrated reactions I must've received), but since instead we have Archetypes, I'm against indiscriminate proliferation.

As for Brutes, I had a reason, but the details escape me at the moment; possibly something to do with both feeling a tad inappropriate (as a lesser version of above) and triangulating this against other Melee sets I'd been working on that Brutes would most definitely get, but would not be universal either.

I feel like a spear stalker would need to be a completely different type of spear set such as a spear hunter.

While a spear brute should be fine as far as I know.

I just want a spear/polearm set that acts like a polearm/spear set.  Not a staff with it's own unique style pretending to be a polearm set.

2 hours ago, weewoozesty said:

I just want a spear/polearm set that acts like a polearm/spear set.  Not a staff with it's own unique style pretending to be a polearm set.

A reasonable desire, certainly!

Would you say mine passes muster for this purpose?

Actually I was just thinking of a power lineup for a spear stalker that has most of the same attacks except for a unique Assassin Strike.  "Throw Spear" and the usual things a stalker set gets.  Maybe instead of a build up the stalker applies poison to the spear that adds some toxic damage over time to the spear.

And maybe a spear version for brutes that is more of a "Gladiator" style spear set where it's got CC based attacks such as thrusting at the enemy's leg and has another attack that throws a net at them to apply a slow/-recharge.  It could make it an interesting set for brutes to tank with it in their own unique way.

• Thumbs Up 1