Teleport?

USCI

Working on an arc now and here's my goal...

At the end of the first mission, I want the player to stumble upon two bosses/EB/AVs fighting each other.  I want one of the bosses to be able to teleport away when he's down to 50% instead of just running for the door (he'll show up later in the arc) while the other one is 'defeated' when he's down to a certain percentage and you need to talk to him to complete the mish.

How do I do this?

Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

You can’t. AE does not have those options. Boss dialogue can be placed in a clue that pops on the clues screen when they’re defeated, so you can simulate that. A boss can try to run from you, but if it’s a mish objective and they get away, the mish fails. No targets can TP away at all. 

With that in mind, why was it necessary/desirable to have them fighting each other? What will the player learn when talking to boss #2?

Edited by cranebump
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

The  boss that teleports away is being double-crossed by the other one that collapses when down to a certain health.  The boss that collapses gives out information to you on where you might be able to find the boss that teleported out.

• Thumbs Up 1

So let’s say Boss A is the one that runs away. Boss B tells me where to find them. Is my goal going into the mish to pursue Boss A? Or am I after something else when I discover I need to find Boss A, and Boss B has the info I need? 

I ask this because the fight you’re describing seems a cosmetic decision. If so, then the objective can be achieved using other means. It may seem limiting, but the lack of being able to do anything and everything forces the storyteller to focus on what’s essential, and how to get that across in the clearest, simplest way.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

On 11/19/2022 at 12:58 AM, USCI said:

At the end of the first mission, I want the player to stumble upon two bosses/EB/AVs fighting each other.  I want one of the bosses to be able to teleport away when he's down to 50% instead of just running for the door (he'll show up later in the arc) while the other one is 'defeated' when he's down to a certain percentage and you need to talk to him to complete the mish.

Typical features in missions aren't always available in AE. Enemies can't switch to your side after taking a certain amount of damage, for example. Also, you can't set some mission details as non-optional objectives (Battles and Patrols).

11 hours ago, USCI said:

The  boss that teleports away is being double-crossed by the other one that collapses when down to a certain health.  The boss that collapses gives out information to you on where you might be able to find the boss that teleported out.

As a workaround, how about making two separate bosses? You may want to put the escaping boss in the middle part or front while the soon-to-be-defeated boss is in the back.

Set the escaping boss as an optional mission, allowing players to miss the boss. The escaping boss will flee when their HP reaches 50%. As TerrorNoir has suggested, use critters with teleport abilities. Write something about using their emergency teleporter in their defeat dialogue, just in case players defeat them. You can also hint that a battle has occurred recently or the betrayal in the starting dialogue.

The soon-to-be-defeated boss will say something about the previous offscreen battle. ("You can't run away from me, Escaping Boss!")  This boss will talk using defeat dialogue and give a clue to find the escaping boss. Set this boss as the primary objective.

Edited by huang3721
additional info
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey, thanks for the ideas!  I think I may know a way to modify what I want to have done.

FYI, the person enters the mish knowing that they are going to fight a certain villain group and that they might find Boss B there (the one that collapses and you have to talk to).  Boss A is a surprise and then becomes the focus of the story arc.

• Thumbs Up 2