Higher graphics settings in tailor-only option

biostem

I sometimes play CoH on some fairly weak systems, which don't have dedicated graphics cards.  In such instances, I'll use the -usetexenvcombine launch parameter to get the game to run acceptably,  This, however, removes nearly all texture details, metallic sheen, or other such effects, which means that any characters I create will look much different on higher end machines than on the weaker ones.  What I've been doing is to launch the game normally to create the character, get them to zone-in to the starting area, then log out and relaunch the game with the aforementioned command switch.  I'd love a way of having high settings in the tailor, but the reduced ones everywhere else.  I wonder if this would be possible to implement, or if that launch option precludes such a possibility.  Thanks for reading!

16 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I don't know what that command does

It switches the game to a simpler rending method.  With it, CoH can run on much weaker systems - better than nothing, but drastically changes how textures appear...

24 minutes ago, biostem said:

It switches the game to a simpler rending method.  With it, CoH can run on much weaker systems - better than nothing, but drastically changes how textures appear...

I've got a laptop from 2008 that runs this game on Recommended graphic settings. I'm really surprised to hear there is something out there that can't run this game even at its lowest graphic settings. I mean, a virtual machine with 4GBs of memory can run this game, computers with Integrated CPU/GPUs can run this game. Modern cellphones can run this game via remote desktoping, and I've seen recently that the Steamdeck can run it as well. 

Realize that this doesn't address your feedback, but it's startling to think something exists that can still power on, but not run this game with sufficient fidelity. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 minute ago, Glacier Peak said:

I've got a laptop from 2008 that runs this game on Recommended graphic settings. I'm really surprised to hear there is something out there that can't run this game even at its lowest graphic settings. I mean, a virtual machine with 4GBs of memory can run this game, computers with Integrated CPU/GPUs can run this game. Modern cellphones can run this game via remote desktoping, and I've seen recently that the Steamdeck can run it as well. 

Realize that this doesn't address your feedback, but it's startling to think something exists that can still power on, but not run this game with sufficient fidelity. 

I refurbished an i3 laptop that's a few years old.  it only has integrated graphics.  The system has 8GB of RAM, with like only 128MB assigned to said integrated graphics,  Without using the -usetexenvcombine command switch, I can probably get low double-digit FPS if alone or in an instance.  With that launch parameter, it's about 40...

5 minutes ago, biostem said:

I refurbished an i3 laptop that's a few years old.  it only has integrated graphics.  The system has 8GB of RAM, with like only 128MB assigned to said integrated graphics,  Without using the -usetexenvcombine command switch, I can probably get low double-digit FPS if alone or in an instance.  With that launch parameter, it's about 40...

Ah that makes sense to me, if there's not enough memory assigned for the IGPU to cull, it's going to look like garbage on screen. Is it possible to remote desktop from your older laptop to your modern system? My only other thought would be to see if the laptop has upgradeable memory or if it's soldier to the mainboard. If it's not, maybe more SODIM capacity will help. 

Edit: I may as well comment on your specific suggestion now that I've replied twice - I would love to see the ability to modify or create costumes exist as an external tool linked to the Homecoming website. Then allow users to save it to their costume folder in their game directory. Maybe that would help lower end systems and satisfy the costume creators also since it wouldn't be displaying all the other graphical things on screen. 

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 minute ago, Glacier Peak said:

Is it possible to remote desktop from your older laptop to your modern system?

While I'm home, I just use my desktop.  The laptop only comes into play if I'm not home, and if that's the case, I'm likely not on an internet connection that could handle/provide a smooth remote desktop experience...