The Lazy Dom or, a Pillow Princess Playstyle for Relaxation and Questionable Profit

Nyghtmaire

Good morning/afternoon/evening!

I love my dominators. They feel like the core of the A-B-C’s: Always Be Casting. Permadom, tons of recharge, sick damage, hell - even the word “domination” is badass in and of itself. It’s the only AT for which I can imagine Batman Bubbles (from the original TV show… right? Right?!?). But sometimes, it stresses me out. Feel jacked up after playing my dom for more than a few missions. Like I’ve been drinking too much coffee brewed from caffeinated water. 

With a base assumption of NOT chasing permadom (which is amazing yadda yadda - you know, I know, we all know), what is the most positive power set combination for a mellow, lackadaisical dominator? Kinder, gentler. The slow arrest. Dare I say “chill”?

My first thought is either gravity or plant, but I’m really a dominator dilettante. Maybe symphonic and lean on the extra controls from the Reverberant? At the same time, I have a earth/dark that I could mock up a second build for this sort of playstyle (the triple fire would be too sad - can’t fathom dousing that flame).

What are your thoughts? 

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I can't believe you mentioned Laziness, Pillows, and Relaxation without immediately considering Mind Control.

Mind is pretty chill if between having Dominate (the Hold), Confuse, Mass Hypnosis, and Mass Confusion. If you have the Stealth ability, you can stand in the middle of a room and just slowly tickle monsters to do your bidding with confusion. Mass Hypnosis is like having a pause button on your game - Toss in a Call of the Sandman Heal Proc to fluff your pillow. Similar results whether you have Domination active or not since it just means you need to re-apply your CC while refraining from using your Damage-dealers until you're ready for some attention. I have had teams where I just waltz to the mission end and casually start a little monster mash at the end-room while the rest of the team grinds away.

If you find yourself wanting to be a little more Blast-y with this Playstyle - Pick up a Widow-Fortunata. It's like a mashup of Mind Control with some of the goods of Mind Blast.

As far as Gravity goes - I love the set but I think you'll want to lean in more on the Recharge and Permanent Domination so you can confirm your Wormholes on Boss monsters. Plus there are just so many unique ways to play it - Like summoning your Singularity in the middle of a group of monsters to vortex them into a tight ball and unleash Sleet and all kinds of other chaos.

Edited by Nayeh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nayeh said:

I can't believe you mentioned Laziness, Pillows, and Relaxation without immediately considering Mind Control.

Me either!! This is brilliant.

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I found this to be a good starting point for me when I feel lazy - every time I pull out my version of this Dom, it feel like smooooth playing: 

After taking this build, I then proceeded to ruin it by swapping in and out some stuff I really wanted, like more BAMPF attacks (ok, well, "another one" anyway) because what's more lazy than just going BAMPF to hop from melee foe to melee foe?  And Arctic Air's confusion effects are good without being "the character's main point," which was one reason I can't seem to level a Mind Dom high enough.  I mean, on Mind you'd have to actually click the Mass Confusion, ugh!; with Arctic Air, you just sort of stroll up with it already running you lazy so-n-so (or, you know, BAMPF over). 

Plus that Spot Prey animation always makes me laugh, it looks like your character's just lost it with extreme rage and frustration, WHO PUT ALL THESE COUNCIL SOBS IN MY WAY?!  AGAIN?!  And then you tear them all to shreds in seconds, s'great.

But maybe don't listen to me, I'm a lazy player.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 2 months later

If i were going to do a lazy dom. I would go with ICE/PSI..

jump into mob click (ice patch ->frostbite ->psyshock)..in 3 clicks u got aoe confuse,.aor immo. and aoe stun,..

it would also be a fast mover handy for teams.

just my thoughts

• Thumbs Up 1