Croatoa Door Missions :: "Ghostly fog" "attacking" Masterminds

UltraAlt

I haven't seen this mastermind pet behavior before. I didn't see a post about it.

In the Croatoa Door Missions with ghosts there are areas of "ghostly fog" in the missions that affect players that pass near/through them.

It's a debuff and does no damage.

I'm running my minions in "defensive" stance. When my character becomes affected by a patch of "ghostly fog" all of my minions attack it - "Unaffected". I can target it through my minions - "Unaffected!", but I can't target the "ghostly fog" directly.

My minions continue to attack the "ghostly fog" until another "enemy" actually does damage to my character.

I've even had instances where my character is away from the "ghostly fog", commands their minions to heel (pulling them out of the "ghostly fog") and, as soon as I switch back to defensive, they all run back to the "ghostly fog" and start attacking it again. I'm assuming that this is because the minions were still under the effects of the debuff even though the character is not? (Sorry. I didn't check to see if they were or not or if holding them out of the "ghostly fog" long enough for the power icon to go away would stop this behavior)

I don't know if this is expected minion behavior. I tend not to run characters with pets or minions, and my characters don't end up going to Croatoa all that often.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

8 hours ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Entities like this need to be flagged in the database as untargetable. Pets will attack any critters they can target.

The entity is applying a debuff to the Mastermind, so the pets will attack it even if they're in Defensive mode; you have to set them to Passive or point them at another target to get them to stop.

29 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

The entity is applying a debuff to the Mastermind, so the pets will attack it even if they're in Defensive mode; you have to set them to Passive or point them at another target to get them to stop.

Yes, but if it was untargetable the pets wouldn't react to it all. And since AFAIK there's nothing you can do to affect it there's no good reason for it not to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Yes, but if it was untargetable the pets wouldn't react to it all. And since AFAIK there's nothing you can do to affect it there's no good reason for it not to be.

I was pointing out why the MM pets were being triggered to attack the entity. And I'm not sure that simply making it untargetable would solve the problem, because it would set up a conflict with the MM pet aggro logic to attack entities that attack the MM; I don't know enough about the logic tree in that case to be able to say that they would ignore it.

44 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

I was pointing out why the MM pets were being triggered to attack the entity. And I'm not sure that simply making it untargetable would solve the problem, because it would set up a conflict with the MM pet aggro logic to attack entities that attack the MM; I don't know enough about the logic tree in that case to be able to say that they would ignore it.

They can't attack what they can't target. Not sure if they would totally ignore it but they certainly won't/can't attack it. They might just act a bit agitated.

You can see this behavior with Voltaic Sentinel. It can't be targeted so critters simply ignore it like it's not there, despite it doing damage to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've seen this behavior recently also. I'm not sure why it's Untargetable to me, but can be targeted by pets. Perhaps it's already labelled untargetable, but the pets ignore the flag?

It was entertaining the first few times, but it gets tedious quickly.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)