Field of View causes FPS drops

JBIT

I had been wondering why I was only getting 30-40fps in the game with my hardware, but it seems to be an issue with field of view from what I have figured out.

Hardware:
Ryzen 7 2700
16GB Ram
SSD
RTX 3060 Ti

Windows 11

If I keep field of view on 40, I can get 70-80fps in Atlas with max settings
If I set it to 90, it drops to 30 fps or lower depending on how many people are on screen, same settings.

I noticed that GPU and CPU usage drop when setting the field of view to any higher amount than 40. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or something with my configuration. Any help is appreciated.

Think about what's happening.
You're actually displaying more visual field than normal.
This means you have a higher rendering load.

So this sort of drop in performance is to be expected.

I play with my FOV maxed out.
We're not twitch-gaming, so the loss in performance is an acceptable trade-off for the amount of visual field gained.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 hour ago, Hyperstrike said:

Please explain this.

Your client (the COH software you run on your computer) constantly sends information about where your character is, what they're doing, their current status, names, titles, etc. to the server, which then has to send that info to all other player's clients in your vicinity. As more players enter the area the amount of data the server has to process starts to increase exponentially, as data is constantly being received and relayed to and from every nearby client. In an effort to reduce lag and rubberbanding the client is programmed to wait for server data before it renders the next video frame to ensure all info is up-to-date and everyone is where they're supposed to be. As the amount of data the server needs to send increases the longer the client has to wait for the next update, so frame rate begins to drop. You also have to remember the networking code was first written in 2003/2004, when half the population was still using dial-up, so I would guess the server itself is capped as to how much data it can send out at any given time to ensure it worked well even on dial-up connections.

Since the limitation is due to how much data the server has to process, increasing your processing and rendering power on the client side isn't going to help much, which is why we still see frame rate drops in high population centers like Ms. Liberty, during invasions, and Mothership/Hami raids even though our CPUs and GPUs are orders of magnitude faster than what was available from 2004-2012.

10 hours ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Your client (the COH software you run on your computer) constantly sends information about where your character is, what they're doing, their current status, names, titles, etc. to the server, which then has to send that info to all other player's clients in your vicinity. As more players enter the area the amount of data the server has to process starts to increase exponentially, as data is constantly being received and relayed to and from every nearby client. In an effort to reduce lag and rubberbanding the client is programmed to wait for server data before it renders the next video frame to ensure all info is up-to-date and everyone is where they're supposed to be. As the amount of data the server needs to send increases the longer the client has to wait for the next update, so frame rate begins to drop. You also have to remember the networking code was first written in 2003/2004, when half the population was still using dial-up, so I would guess the server itself is capped as to how much data it can send out at any given time to ensure it worked well even on dial-up connections.

Since the limitation is due to how much data the server has to process, increasing your processing and rendering power on the client side isn't going to help much, which is why we still see frame rate drops in high population centers like Ms. Liberty, during invasions, and Mothership/Hami raids even though our CPUs and GPUs are orders of magnitude faster than what was available from 2004-2012.

If this is accurate, then why am I still experiencing performance fall-off in an ALREADY entity-saturated scenario (like a ship raid)?

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

7 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

If this is accurate, then why am I still experiencing performance fall-off in an ALREADY entity-saturated scenario (like a ship raid)?

For the same reasons. Lots of people and critters in one place, lots of data that has to be transferred back and forth to the servers and clients. There's less data for critters, but you're still gonna see a drop if there are tons of them around. The AI code has to decide where they're going and what they're doing and the server needs to relay that info to all the clients, along with any damage they've taken, their positions, etc. This isn't exclusive to CoH. Every MMO has these issue to one degree or another. I can load up GW2, stare out into the open wilderness and get 100+ FPS. But if I pan around and I'm facing the bank with a dozen or more players around me my FPS drops to 45.

Also, some zones are not well-optimized, especially on the villain and gold sides. They never quite got visual occlusion right and the game wants to render stuff you simply can't see. This is more of a client issue than a server one, mostly hamstrung by the client not being particularly well multithreaded.

I think I am having some driver issues, as after looking into some things more, I had a ton of errors in event viewer on PCI Express root port. Reinstalling Windows now and seeing if that resolves it. It wasn't until more recently that this was a problem. I am actually just coming back to the game after I've been off for a while.

I'll let you know if this resolves it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JBIT said:

I think I am having some driver issues, as after looking into some things more, I had a ton of errors in event viewer on PCI Express root port. Reinstalling Windows now and seeing if that resolves it. It wasn't until more recently that this was a problem. I am actually just coming back to the game after I've been off for a while.

I'll let you know if this resolves it.

It's usually a driver issue.

1 hour ago, Captain Fabulous said:

It's usually a driver issue.

This seems to have resolved it. I go from 80s to about 60s now when FOV is maxed now, which is much more in line when what I expected.

Edited by JBIT
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1