Moderate Priority: Corrosive Vial Not Properly Applying -Def in PvP

Monos King

The Experimentation pool power Corrosive Vial is not properly applying -Defense in PvP, and possibly in other settings as well. My Chance to hit before and during usage of Corrosive Vial did not change.

Here is the defense on the character that had Corrosive Vial used on them:

Before

image.png.73f6ec804be4ec5932ca656725bbda12.png

After

image.png.7c386e8095ad68d748d056428f3c6d92.png

The power shows up in the Base Defense category, but does not actually apply to any of the defense types, leaving it unchanged. Occasionally the debuff does show up, but only for a second, and still does no affect defense even during that second. 

• Thanks 1

My understanding is that the -defense portion of this power is very short, about 1 second, and is only continually refreshed if the target stays in the puddle. Once they leave the puddle it expires. Since the combat monitor is pretty wonky my guess is that by the time you actually see it pop up it's already over, assuming your live target is moving and not standing in it.

46 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

My understanding is that the -defense portion of this power is very short, about 1 second, and is only continually refreshed if the target stays in the puddle. Once they leave the puddle it expires. Since the combat monitor is pretty wonky my guess is that by the time you actually see it pop up it's already over, assuming your live target is moving and not standing in it.

That is the case, however each of these ticks is supposed to be a 100% chance. The -defense should be applying throughout the 15 seconds. Similar powers usually show this.

My target did not move, and I monitored not the combat attributes, but my own To-Hit chance initially, which is how I discovered this. Even while attacking non-stop with extremely short animation time powers, my chance to hit never rose while the target was in the puddle, just as the targets defense never updated. If this is a glitch not in performance, but a byproduct of its design, it's still not working as it should. Although, it seems that it's just not applying -def.

I don't know enough about how debuffs work in PvP to give you a good answer. Isn't there some kind of suppression mechanism at work for multiple applications of the same buff and debuff? That each application within a set amount of time triggers a % resistance that fairly quickly makes you immune to it for awhile?

1 hour ago, Captain Fabulous said:

I don't know enough about how debuffs work in PvP to give you a good answer. Isn't there some kind of suppression mechanism at work for multiple applications of the same buff and debuff? That each application within a set amount of time triggers a % resistance that fairly quickly makes you immune to it for awhile?

I've been at this for a while, it's probably just a bug with the continuous refresh. There aren't any mechanisms in PvP that would cause this, so we most likely need dev intervention.

I'll also check to see if this occurs in PvE.

Edit: It does. The -def is not affecting NPCs either.

Edited by Monos King

Also check to see if the damage is ticking away. It should work like the defense debuff; they will continue to take damage as long as they're in the puddle but not once they leave.

I do know the puddle is a pseudo-pet, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Edited by Captain Fabulous

17 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Also check to see if the damage is ticking away. It should work like the defense debuff; they will continue to take damage as long as they're in the puddle but not once they leave.

I do know the puddle is a pseudo-pet, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Oh interesting, good suggestion. I did look and it is doing the damage tick. But it is not applying the -def on players, or on NPCs.

• City Council

Good catch. The debuff from the pseudopet was trying to apply a Defense Debuff once every 1s for 15s. That basically means the Defense Debuff would last for one server tick before going away, every 1s. Fixed internally.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Booper said:

Good catch. The debuff from the pseudopet was trying to apply a Defense Debuff once every 1s for 15s. That basically means the Defense Debuff would last for one server tick before going away, every 1s. Fixed internally.

So the change will make it a 15 sec debuff that will persist even if they leave the puddle? Did you also change the damage to do the same, or will that continue to be only if in the puddle?

• City Council
20 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

So the change will make it a 15 sec debuff that will persist even if they leave the puddle? Did you also change the damage to do the same, or will that continue to be only if in the puddle?

Damage wasn't bugged. It will still apply ticks of damage if a foe stays in the puddle.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/5/2023 at 9:48 PM, Booper said:

Good show old boy.