Graphics freeze, but the game runs normally otherwise.

Paradox Fate

I recently upgraded my graphics card to a Radeon 6600 XT, and since that I noticed that when playing CoH I sometimes have the game freeze the visuals, though the game itself still uns normally. I can still attack, hear effects and chat and anything else other than the frozen image.

Mainboard: MSI B450M GAMING Plus AMD B450 So.AM4 Dual Channel

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz

Graphics Card: ASRock Radeon RX 6600 XT Challenger D 8GB

Drivers: Radeon Adrenaline 23.2.2

Frequency of the issue: Random, though I had the problem three times alone during the Synapse TF, two of them in the last mission.

Current workaround of mine: Calling up Task-Manager and closing CoH, then relog back in after two attempts (since the first one logs my character out).

Apparently the game hangs, I am having the same issue, but with mine it only happens when I am in a team with my friend.  I can play solo all day without it hanging. I've found no solutions yet.  Sorry I can't be much help.  I'm on Windows 11.  Maybe it's a AMD issue or it could be a memory leak?

Well CoH is known for its memory leaks but with today 64 bit version and the Memory PCs have normally, it shouldnt be the issue.

Sounds more like a open GL Problem since CoH uses that.. maybe some more AMD knowledgeable ppl are able to jump in here

And Artriel_Javan, does ur friend always use same Powerset? Maybe a file is kinda corrupt did u try to verify install?

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

No, we play with different powersets.  I've verified the installation. Recently I've reinstalled the game.  I'm going to reinstall my video drivers. If that doesn't fix I guess I'll do a clean install of windows. Don't really know what else to try.

Did you try the other things I suggested? CoH uses OpenGL, and an old version at that. It can be finicky. I used to crash fairly regularly until I figured out it was a memory issue in combination with having Chrome open. I upgraded from 16 GBs of RAM to 32 GBs not that long ago and not a single crash since. Ultra mode graphics trigger a pretty bad memory leak as well, so it's best to go no higher than one notch below Ultra.

• 4 months later

Curious if anyone has found a cause or solution for this? I’ve come back to playing after a 6 month break and I’m having the same exact issue. Screen freezes but game is running fine in background. Powers work, chat works, etc. 

It appears totally random, but the game doesn’t crash so no crash report to send. Never had this issue prior even with very long play sessions. 

CPU 3800 XT, RX5700 XT, 32GB RAM

All drivers are current

Windows 10 Home

Edited by BassAckwards