Star Wars Celebration 2023

Star Wars Celebration 2023 taking place this weekend in London.  Lots to mention, some already mentioned in other threads.  I'll focus on the stuff not in those threads.

First up, a picture of the Star Wars universe's timeline, in a broad sense.  I thought this a good thing as so many projects are out there right now bouncing across several time periods that I've seen a lot of people confused such as hoping the Bad Batch (Reign of the Empire) will interact with The Mandalorian (The New Republic) when there's actually a nearly 3 decade gap between the two.

EDITED WITH ADDITIONAL MATERIAL

Some works to show time:

The Dawn of the Jedi

• Upcoming James Mangold movie (see farther down)

The Old Republic

• MMO game: Star Wars: The Old Republic (soft canon)

The High Republic

• The Acolyte series (in the works)

Fall of the Jedi

• The Prequel Trilogy
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series (and the animated movie and related works)

Reign of the Empire

• The Bad Batch animated series
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story Movie
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi miniseries

Age of Rebellion

• Star Wars: Rebels animated series (actually, this straddles Reign of the Empire as well)
  • Andor series
  • Rogue One movie
  • The Original Trilogy movies
  • The Star Wars Holiday Special (sorry, just kidding around)

The New Republic

• Last scene in Star Wars: Rebels
  • The Mandalorian
  • The Book of Boba Fett
  • Ahsoka

Rise of the First Order

• The Sequel Trilogy movies

New Jedi Order

• Upcoming post-Sequel movie (see farther down)

image.png.ddbe3dab8f2e857bad418a5a2be48f66.png

Other news:

Dave Filoni will be directing a film to follow chronologically to The Mandalorian.  This is presumably after The Mandalorian wraps shooting.  This is a bit of a surprise because Favreau and Filoni are on record saying they had no end goal for The Mandalorian and were intending to run it indefinitely.  This announcement suggests they have an end in mind now.  So does that mean end with season 4, 5...maybe 6?  This season had the first two wobbles of the series.  I'd like to think those were just bad choices and not the series running out of steam. 

James Mangold (3:10 to Yuma, Logan, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny)will be directing a movie about the first Jedi.  I'm not clear if this is the first force users (called Jedii in legends material) or one of a few other stages in development of the "modern" Jedi (such as the separation of Jedi from Dark Jedi), but it sounds like it will actually push the timeline far into the distant past, even before the earliest days of the Old Republic, which would make this the earliest canonical story.

Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy (Ms Marvel Disney+ series) will be directing a movie about Rey's New Jedi Order set 15 years after The Sequel Trilogy.  I've previously not heard of this director, and had to look her up, where I learned of her connection to the Ms Marvel series.  From what I've heard so far of all new projects, this project sounds like it has the potential for the greatest negative effect on the fandom.  Ms Marvel, from what I was told, was not well received, and the topic of continuing The Sequels' storyline is fiercely debated.  I see this as a bold move considering recent hostility to the franchise, Disney, and especially Kathleen Kennedy who oversees all of Star Wars, and for whom this is seen as a special project.  (And yes, it appears to be politically charged as well.  Please understand, in acknowledging that, I'm still trying to stay clear of that to keep a civil dialog here.)  I do hope that if this comes to fruition, they give John Boyega's character, Finn, some meaty development.  The character was savaged in parodies for being stripped of his potential.  I'd also be curious to learn what becomes of R2 and 3PO, with all the Skywalkers gone.  If they stay with Rey, this may be the first time Anthony Daniels has not played 3PO.  I'm also concerned about R2, since in the Sequels, they showed him as acting almost ancient: usually resting and with slow movements.  R2, best as I can remember, has never had his memory wiped, something almost unheard of for droids, making him the "Horatio" (from Hamlet) of the Star Wars universe: the witness who will carry the tale when all others have died.

More postings as I learn of things.  I know there's some info out there about the post-production Skeleton Crew, for example.

Edited by Techwright
  • Like 1

Star Wars: Skeleton Crew

• Disney+ series
  • moved to post production
  • Jude Law stars along with a handful of kids
  • People have compared it to 1980s Amblin Entertainment fare like Goonies and E.T.. Some have even mentioned Stranger Things.  Just to be clear, it has now been stated that it is not a kids movie.
  • Spoiler discussion based on review talk of a private viewing of a teaser at the show: 
    Spoiler
    • As the name hints, the series will have pirates
    • Vane the Nikto, the only surviving pirate from season 3 of The Mandalorian, will be a prominent pirate in the show.
    • image.png.ce66eff98e9506b51d62c479db37de60.png
    • The kids apparently get entangled with the pirates and end up far from home. 
    • One of the kids will be a young Ortolan.  This is the "little blue elephant" species that keyboard artist Max Rebo comes from.
    • Jude Law's character does something in the trailer that convinces the children that he must be a Jedi.  Reviewers were cautious about accepting this perception, though. Reviewers also thought he is a teacher.
    • The story will also follow one of the parents of the missing children. As one commenter pointed out, this is unusual in Amblin-style stories.

Star Wars: The Acolyte

• Disney+ series
  • premiering in 2024 (4 episodes are already done apparently)
  • Stars: Amandla Stenberg (The Hunger Games), Carrie-Anne Moss (The Matrix), Lee Jung-jae (Squid Games)
  • Set in the High Republic era, considered the Golden Age of the Jedi, when the dark side was the underdog, the series will be a dark-sider's tale. 
  • Specifically, it is believed to be set 100 years before the Prequel Trilogy
  • Reviewers who saw the teaser at Star Wars Celebration report that it has high production values, and one referred to its tone as "between The Mandalorian and Andor"
  • Unlike Andor, this has a lot of aliens in it.
  • Leslye Headland is spearheading this show: "What I pitched was Frozen meets Kill Bill" (pitch to Lucasfilms that is.) Other comments note that samurai films are a strong influence on the production.
  • Spoiler:
    Spoiler
    • Actress Rebecca Henderson revealed that she will be playing a character that has appeared in the High Republic Era set of Star Wars books:  Jedi Vernestra "Vern" Rwoh.   I'm not acquainted with these books myself, but apparently this is a popular character appearing in several books.  Within her tale she is said to be the youngest to make Jedi Knight at age 15.
    • One review described the series as "a mystery thriller" and went on to say that a Jedi and her former master investigate a series of crimes that begin to reveal a threat bigger than anticipated.
    • It is suggested that this series will explore the start of the rise of the Dark Side that will reach fruition with Revenge of the Sith.  One thing I'm puzzled by is the suggestion that Darth Sidious is involved somehow.  I think this may be a mistake, as it would be decades before he should be born.  It might, however, finally give us his master, Darth Plagueis.
    • There's a new Wookie Jedi character played by Joonas Suotamo, the actor who also took over the role of Chewie from Peter Mayhew.

Tales of the Jedi season 2 was announced by Dave Filoni.

Filoni went on to make an interesting point:  with season 2, he's going to be "master" to several "padawans" within the animation studios.  As he put it, he's hoping to pass on to a new generation what George Lucas passed on to him so that the animation side of Star Wars will remain strong for long to come.  To that end, these people will be crafting the show under his guidance.  Personally, I find this smart.  Dave Filoni is the clear heir to George Lucas regarding knowledge of the Star Wars universe and skill (perhaps better) at crafting the shows.  However, at this point in time, it is "all eggs in one basket".  Were something awful to happen to Dave, it would be hard to move Star Wars animation forward.  They've been doing something similar over at The Mandalorian.

Star Wars: Andor, season 2

• Disney+ series
  • premiering probably August/September 2024
  • footage was shown exclusively to those at Celebration 2023, but not a trailer
  • Every 3 episodes, according to reviewers, will represent a year. (First season every four episodes represented an arc.)
  • B2EMO was not in the clips, but was actually onstage and interactive with the audience.
  • Possible Spoilers:
    Spoiler

Though not a great deal was available, reviewers have suggested that Cassian and Bix will probably reunite early in the season.

Syril Karn was perceived to have increase power due to gained favor with Dedra.

Sinta and Vel appear to be trapped behind enemy lines in one clip.

Wish I’d been able to go, but had family stuff on for Easter Weekend…

…but, rest assured, even in my absence, Brit fans take SWCE with all the seriousness it deserves.

8D6E159E-DF96-4395-83B7-FC76B98D9FAA.thumb.jpeg.b7b05c8ca7aa90e19766882ba533af68.jpeg

A9F165E5-3213-4D6C-A4EC-3030C85F3C8F.jpeg.56fa4fd61afde64f2cd00c1ea54785e2.jpeg

• Haha 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Star Wars: Visions II trailer premiered at Celebration 2023.

If you've not seen the original, Visions allows other artists to create short stories within the Star Wars universe, portrayed in their unique style.  I'm unclear if they consider these to be canon or not.  They're more art form storytelling.

I'm wondering who did the claymation in this one.  Same studio that made Wallace and Gromit?

From one of the stills I saw on the Twitters, it is indeed the mighty Aardman…

https://www.aardman.com/latest-news/2023/february/star-wars-visions-volume-2-featuring-aardman/

UPDATE: their ep is entitled I Am Your Mother and features one Denis Lawson…

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Haha 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 2 weeks later
On 4/10/2023 at 2:01 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

From one of the stills I saw on the Twitters, it is indeed the mighty Aardman…

https://www.aardman.com/latest-news/2023/february/star-wars-visions-volume-2-featuring-aardman/

UPDATE: their ep is entitled I Am Your Mother and features one Denis Lawson…

I'm definitely down to see that then.  I wonder what "Uncle Denis" is voicing?  It would be crazy fun if in a romp like this, they got Denis and nephew Ewan McGregor to do scenes together.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 2:32 PM, Techwright said:

New Jedi Order

• Upcoming post-Sequel movie (see farther down)

image.png.ddbe3dab8f2e857bad418a5a2be48f66.png

Sorry for the late reply, but did they mention anything about the kid with the broom being in the next post-sequel movies?? I remember thinking, damn they devoted minutes in the movie to making this scene about freeing the kids, is there a pay off - like one of them becoming a new Jedi, or was it just for the audience wish fulfillment (for the kids)??

Edit: This kid

image.thumb.png.d11c9e0300ab2a7a8b88d3d86219ef21.png

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

Sorry for the late reply, but did they mention anything about the kid with the broom being in the next post-sequel movies?? I remember thinking, damn they devoted minutes in the movie to making this scene about freeing the kids, is there a pay off - like one of them becoming a new Jedi, or was it just for the audience wish fulfillment (for the kids)??

Edit: This kid

image.thumb.png.d11c9e0300ab2a7a8b88d3d86219ef21.png

This is actually the first time I've seen a name for the child, though I don't follow new canon books and comics, so that may be the origin of it.  I've known of no source stating that the kid will be back.  The team that put together the Sequel Trilogy has a bad habit of deliberately writing in people and events with no context.  It's apparently instruction passed along by JJ Abrams whom I'm told has a writing style like this, leaving the audience to fill in the gaps.  In other words, it just wasn't something with a context to come later, it was very much a "make your own story" effect.  I was told once that Abrams had a term for this writing technique, but I've forgotten it.    This "technique" was one of the most despised elements of the Sequel Trilogy, leaving us with no context for characters that should be important like Sith Lord Snoke, the Knights of Ren, and Captain Phasma.  The boy-with-the-broom is another such character, though in his case, I suspect his presence was to show that all efforts to corral and control the Force would ultimately fail.  It simply is beyond the control of mortals.

Having said all that, the announcement of the post-Sequels movie featuring Rey and the Skywalker Academy does seem to give opportunity for bringing broom boy back. I know that for some, speculation immediately went to her friend Finn, the ex-Stormtrooper, within whom, it was strongly hinted, dormant force powers exist.  In light of the overwhelming fan displeasure at the Sequel Trilogy, it is heavily rumored that Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni were given a mandate to create backstory context for the characters and situations in that trilogy, which they seem to be doing via current Disney+ works.  It's not a stretch therefore, to think that mandate might carry over into the new Rey movie to tie up this dangling thread.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 10:40 AM, Techwright said:

The team that put together the Sequel Trilogy has a bad habit of deliberately writing in people and events with no context.  It's apparently instruction passed along by JJ Abrams whom I'm told has a writing style like this, leaving the audience to fill in the gaps.  In other words, it just wasn't something with a context to come later, it was very much a "make your own story" effect.  I was told once that Abrams had a term for this writing technique, but I've forgotten it.

I don't know about him having a specific term for it, but the writing team from Lost openly admitted (after the show's run) that they were specifically writing in random things to exploit the human tendency towards apophenia.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apophenia

I was watching the series after-the-fact and after I read that tidbit I stopped.  Either design elaborate machinations with meaning or leave them out in favor of a more straight-forward universe. Throw in random stuff with no meaning just to get viewers to make their own meanings from it and I'm most likely1 out. 🤣

1 - There are exceptions to this. Can't think of one off the top of my head, especially in big-budget sci-fi/fantasy world-building.  Usually a technique I appreciate more in different sorts of works.

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

• 2 weeks later
On 4/23/2023 at 4:41 AM, Techwright said:

I'm definitely down to see that then.  I wonder what "Uncle Denis" is voicing?

He is the one and only Wedge, taking the mick out of his convention merch amongst other things.

Admit I started with dessert first on Visions and watched the Aardman one, which is… Aardman affectionately spoofing Star Wars, while telling a small story. In this case, a young, very Northern Academy pilot (yes, lots of planets have a North) and her rather embarrassing mum, taking on the posh Queen Bee and her just-ever-so-slightly-Sithy mater.

Little sugary, but stuffed with sight gags (UTINI!), in-jokes and homages from the opening drop-from-orbit to the closing circle fade. Oh, and the fabulous Maxine Peake is in Star Wars now, channeling Patricia Routledge.

2 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

He is the one and only Wedge, taking the mick out of his convention merch amongst other things.

Little sugary, but stuffed with sight gags (UTINI!), in-jokes and homages from the opening drop-from-orbit to the closing circle fade.

Made it my first watch from the series as well.  Found myself watching the background so much I was forgetting the main story in the foreground.  Lots of Star Wars easter eggs.  Loved the ice cream vendor protocol droid painted in ice cream colors. Unexpected, funny, and actually cool. I might actually buy an action figure if that one is released.

Love that they used Wedge, even if he had a bit more self-serving showmanship than the "real" Wedge.  Actually, thinking about it, there's nothing so crazy in the episode that it couldn't be canon.  Strange that.

I also noted that the focus droid was called Zed One.  I had to laugh, as I'd recently finished watching the player-made "movie" cut from the new Jedi:Survivor video game and there's a prominent droid nicknamed "Zee" after the first letter of its model.  Despite being American I was a little taken aback by the game designers' choice to use that letter given how its the one letter with polarized pronunciation worldwide. Right-side Pond/Left-side Pond.  However, Aardman just restored balance in the force.

• Thanks 1