Ninja Run On/Off Press-Release Binds

oddrobin

I was looking for a bind that might already be out there for a way to toggle on/off the Ninja Run power with the W key. I am good at research, and I had no luck. I am proud of myself for figuring it out on my own after piecing together bits from my searches and doing some trial and error. Here's the bind:

/bind w "+forward$$+$$powexec_toggleon Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run"

If you also want this effect when going backward with the S key, here is the bind:

/bind s "+backward$$+$$powexec_toggleon Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run"

If you want to have this happening when strafing, these are the binds (the Q and E keys are what I use. I think the default strafe keys are A and D -- check your keymapping first to be sure):

/bind q "+left$$+$$powexec_toggleon Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run"

/bind e "+right$$+$$powexec_toggleon Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run"

Glitches:

Overall, I'm happy with these binds. Very happy. There are some inconsistent glitches I don't know can be fixed.

If two movement keys with these binds are pressed at the same time (I like to press W and a strafe direction together), then Ninja run stays toggled on when a bound movement key is released, and pressing a movement key toggles it off. This is an inconsistent glitch. To prevent this, I recommend not to bind the strafe keys nor the turning keys.

When pressing bound movement keys quickly and often (as I do in missions), sometimes the binds get confused and the opposite effect of what is supposed to happen, happens. Sometimes the Ninja Run looks like Athletic Run. I've also noticed it happens sometimes right after zoning.

If Ninja Run was already toggled on before pressing any of these bound keys, then these binds do not affect the power at all. Once Ninja Run is manually toggled off, then these binds will affect it. 

And if you ever want to reset these keys back to normal, here is one way:

(after using one of the following commands, you may need to reset the action previously attached to those keys in options > keymapping)

/unbind w

/unbind s

/unbind q

/unbind e

Edited by oddrobin
to update glitches.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• oddrobin changed the title to Ninja Run On/Off Press-Release Binds

I am not sure this works with a leading + on an actual command. The form that seems to work (for press-release action) is to add a '+$$' to the start of the command string, as in:

/bind P "+$$powexectoggleon Fire Shield$$powexectoggleon Plasma Shield"

(Lousy example, not enough coffee.) But I use this all the time to fire various buffs and power travels. Full writeup in the Guide.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

16 hours ago, oddrobin said:

/bind w "+forward$$+$$powexec_toggleon Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run"

/bind s "+backward$$+$$powexec_toggleon Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run"

I can see how these would be glitchy. The gimmick is basically gaming the command parser, and it doesn't always like it.

Try putting the toggleon on W only, and the toggleoff on S so a tap turns it off. I can't see any real advantage to turning any of the sprint runs off automatically (or, generally, using them in reverse), but that would require just a tap to kill it for End preservation etc.

I use these combos; the SuperSpeed is only for one alt:

R "autorun 1$$powexec_toggleon Athletic Run"
SPACE "+up$$autorun 0"
MBUTTON "powexecname Athletic Run"

R "powexectoggleon Super Speed$$autorun 1"
MBUTTON "powexectoggleoff Super Speed$$powexecname Athletic Run"

Middle mouse click toggles off SuperSpeed (if used) and then toggles AR. (Great for those frackin' cave missions.)

I've found this overall combo, especially Space to kill auto run, very useful.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

• 2 weeks later
On 4/16/2023 at 10:32 AM, Shenanigunner said:

I can't see any real advantage to turning any of the sprint runs off automatically (or, generally, using them in reverse), but that would require just a tap to kill it for End preservation etc.

There isn't any advantage. For me, it's an aesthetic issue. I don't like standing still in the ninja run pose, and I really like the flips Ninja Run does when moving forward and in reverse. And endurance. I have a terrible time remembering to turn it off in missions until I'm wondering where all my endurance went.

I use these combos; the SuperSpeed is only for one alt:

R "autorun 1$$powexec_toggleon Athletic Run"
SPACE "+up$$autorun 0"
MBUTTON "powexecname Athletic Run"

R "powexectoggleon Super Speed$$autorun 1"
MBUTTON "powexectoggleoff Super Speed$$powexecname Athletic Run"

Middle mouse click toggles off SuperSpeed (if used) and then toggles AR. (Great for those frackin' cave missions.)

I've found this overall combo, especially Space to kill auto run, very useful.

I can't wait to play around with these commands. I'd love to have a less glitchy way of doing something like what my initial try does. Thanks for the tips!

Edited by oddrobin

• 2 months later

I've gone in a whole 'nother, much simpler direction with this. 

Re-map Autorun to something other than R. (Since live, I've been re-mapping it to Ctrl+R.)

Then bind R to ninja run like this:

/bind r powexec_name "ninja run"

The R key will toggle ninja run on and off.

I get that this is somewhat pointless because I could just click it off. I prefer a key press.