Damage Bonus Cap question

Snarky

Yes and no.  There is no "bonus" damage, in regard to the Damage mechanic.  It's all counted collectively.  If you slot 95.4% +Damage in a power, have T4 Hybrid Assault's 10%, and 16% from IO set bonuses, the game treats that power as having 121.4% +Damage.  The fact that some of that Damage isn't granted by enhancements is irrelevant, as far as the game is concerned.

Caps are archetype-specific, and include the power's base 100% Damage.  What that means is even if a power has no Damage enhancements and you have no +Damage from any source, the power is at 100% Damage.  The mechanic is designed that way so -Damage can function.  If every power were viewed as 0% Damage, -Damage wouldn't work at all on unslotted powers, and would reduce slotted powers much less than now.

To see what each archetype's caps are, use the HC wiki (click Limits at 50 in the side panel on the top right of the archetype's page).

• Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

8 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Yes and no.  There is no "bonus" damage, in regard to the Damage mechanic.  It's all counted collectively.  If you slot 95.4% +Damage in a power, have T4 Hybrid Assault's 10%, and 16% from IO set bonuses, the game treats that power as having 121.4% +Damage.  The fact that some of that Damage isn't granted by enhancements is irrelevant, as far as the game is concerned.

Caps are archetype-specific, and include the power's base 100% Damage.  What that means is even if a power has no Damage enhancements and you have no +Damage from any source, the power is at 100% Damage.  The mechanic is designed that way so -Damage can function.  If every power were viewed as 0% Damage, -Damage wouldn't work at all on unslotted powers, and would reduce slotted powers much less than now.

To see what each archetype's caps are, use the HC wiki (click Limits at 50 in the side panel on the top right of the archetype's page).

i confuse myself.  i built my Blaster chasing +dam.  He is AR Dev with no buildup. I calculated him as having +70%.  The game is showing damage bonus 130% sitting in my base doing nothing.  i thought maybe he was capped at 30.  but i realize the game thinks he is 130%  it counts targeting drone as 20...as did i.  then counts it again as +60%   and i got no idea why.

25 minutes ago, Snarky said:

i confuse myself.  i built my Blaster chasing +dam.  He is AR Dev with no buildup. I calculated him as having +70%.  The game is showing damage bonus 130% sitting in my base doing nothing.  i thought maybe he was capped at 30.  but i realize the game thinks he is 130%  it counts targeting drone as 20...as did i.  then counts it again as +60%   and i got no idea why.

Targeting Drone has an out of combat 60% +Damage buff in addition to the 20% you factored.  It applies to your opening attack and has an 8 second suppression (you have to be out of combat for 8 seconds (clicking glowies also suppresses the buff for 8s) for it to be active).

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=blaster_support.gadgets.targeting_drone&at=blaster

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Targeting Drone has an out of combat 60% +Damage buff in addition to the 20% you factored.  It applies to your opening attack and has an 8 second suppression (you have to be out of combat for 8 seconds (clicking glowies also suppresses the buff for 8s) for it to be active).

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=blaster_support.gadgets.targeting_drone&at=blaster

Holy crap caped crusader!  so my first snipe, Full Auto or that beatifully clunky LRM Rocket get a auto buildup if out of combat.  Sooooo glad I asked these questions.  Hit, run, hit, run.  Hmmmmmm.  Happiness is a cold gun.  

does it stack with other build up-like powers? What about adding a ton of +to hi? (I'm thinking of the targetting pool power especially)

Is this gonna suddenly become a supernuke?

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

12 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

does it stack with other build up-like powers? What about adding a ton of +to hi? (I'm thinking of the targetting pool power especially)

Is this gonna suddenly become a supernuke?

I have not tested this.  Anything that makes the game think you are "in combat" drops it.  I need to get good with an AR now which is why I am soloing on one.  Does popping an insp drop it?  What powers will/wont?  Lot of questions.  Another detail that makes playing this combo a lot of fun to me.

29 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

does it stack with other build up-like powers?

As far as I can tell, there is no IgnoreGlobalDamage flag, so unless that were specifically created and added, nothing prevents any +Damage sources from stacking.  There aren't any unique +Damage buffs or boosts in the game, which would distinguish their +Damage from other +Damage, either.

+Damage is +Damage is +Damage.  It's all the same thing to the game, no matter how it's acquired, and it's all counted collectively.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Anything that makes the game think you are "in combat" drops it.

The specific events which disable the 60% +Damage are AttackedOther (you attack), AttackedByOther (you are attacked) and MissionObjectClick (glowie).  Just being in combat stance shouldn't do it.

Since you're asking, though, and we just had the redraw revamp go live, which modified the combat stance system, this would be an excellent opportunity to test both the redraw and whether it affects Targeting Drone's bonus +Damage.  Attack something, wait 8 seconds (i'd wait 10, just to be sure latency didn't skew the results), and attack again.  Record the damage for both attacks.  Then repeat the test, but attack again immediately instead of waiting 8-10 seconds, and record those results.

If there are no problems with the combat stance system, the second attack of the first test should deal more damage than the second attack of the second test.

Don't use the Rikti combat dummies in RWZ.  They don't take any damage, so you won't get any valid results from using them.  Find a minion, shoot it in the face, then repeat with a minion of the same enemy group and rank, preferably the same name.  That will remove level variation and the possibility of different +Res from being factors.

Go.  Science that shit up.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1