New Player Request: Water / Stone Sentinel

Siddha

Hello.  Still fairly new to the game. I came up with a character I enjoy playing, but not a lot of info about the pairing of Water Blast / Stone Armor.

Does this pairing have any decent synergies?

I'm not sure what pools or enhancements to go for yet. Any suggestions or build ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Sovera said:

No particular synergies, but nothing working at odds. What sort of travel power do you favor?

First off, thanks for that post in your link, that simple guide is very helpful, making my way through it.

I'm seeing him as more of a jumper.  maybe mystic flight or teleportation because of  his magic background.

Someone did help give me a build in another post, i did forget to mention I'm a new player though.

Edit: Honestly the build looks really good and close to what I'm looking for ability wise. It will probably do the trick with a few tweaks. Enhancements I'll just have to learn as I go.  Tweaks would be boxing --> tough and exchange the teleports for something else.

Edit again:  I feel like a sentinel would be a good choice to bring teamwork feets to the table too, seeing as we are already trying to raise the groups damage.  So maybe could ditch fighting for that? not sure how much we need tough + weave when we already have rock armor and possibly maneuvers.

Edited by Siddha

2 hours ago, Siddha said:

First off, thanks for that post in your link, that simple guide is very helpful, making my way through it.

I'm seeing him as more of a jumper.  maybe mystic flight or teleportation because of  his magic background.

Someone did help give me a build in another post, i did forget to mention I'm a new player though.

Edit: Honestly the build looks really good and close to what I'm looking for ability wise. It will probably do the trick with a few tweaks. Enhancements I'll just have to learn as I go.  Tweaks would be boxing --> tough and exchange the teleports for something else.

Edit again:  I feel like a sentinel would be a good choice to bring teamwork feets to the table too, seeing as we are already trying to raise the groups damage.  So maybe could ditch fighting for that? not sure how much we need tough + weave when we already have rock armor and possibly maneuvers.

Was updating the guide so if following it I suggest starting from the start again.

Regarding the use of Tough and Weave it is to reach the magic numbers of 45% which Stone Armor by itself does not. I stick to around 33% instead since small purple inspirations then push things to 45% which frees slots. But even so it requires Tough and Weave , and Maneuvers yes, and the kitchen sink 😄

The build will not be leveling friendly though so if you want I can take a gander and make it more newb/cheap friendly. Do say what powers you'd like though. Teleport was mentioned?

3 hours ago, Sovera said:

Was updating the guide so if following it I suggest starting from the start again.

Regarding the use of Tough and Weave it is to reach the magic numbers of 45% which Stone Armor by itself does not. I stick to around 33% instead since small purple inspirations then push things to 45% which frees slots. But even so it requires Tough and Weave , and Maneuvers yes, and the kitchen sink 😄

The build will not be leveling friendly though so if you want I can take a gander and make it more newb/cheap friendly. Do say what powers you'd like though. Teleport was mentioned?

I'm pretty content with the speed of athletic run to be honest.  I'm not sure I even need super jump.  He's a Water Control Golem so he's not meant to be fast.  Teleport isn't in theme either. 

Other than that. I'm not a fan of dehydrate. So primary + secondary + fighting + hasten, then whatever think the build needs.  If Leviathan than maybe some of those abilities. 

edit: cleaning up mess

Spoiler

Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Stone Armor
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery
Hero Profile
Level 1:
Aqua Bolt
Empty(A)
Level 1:
Rock Armor
Empty(A)
Level 2:
Stone Skin
Empty(A)
Level 4:
Water Burst
Empty(A)
Level 6:
Kick
Empty(A)
Level 8:
Tidal Forces
Empty(A)
Level 10:
Terra Firma
Empty(A)
Level 12:
Whirlpool
Empty(A)
Level 14:
Tough
Empty(A)
Level 16:
Rooted
Empty(A)
Level 18:
Water Jet
Empty(A)
Level 20:
Crystal Armor
Empty(A)
Level 22:
Steam Spray
Empty(A)
Level 24:
Brimstone Armor
Empty(A)
Level 26:
Geyser
Empty(A)
Level 28:
Minerals
Empty(A)
Level 30:
Weave
Empty(A)
Level 32:
Earth's Embrace
Empty(A)
Level 35:
Geode
Empty(A)
Level 38:
Hasten
Empty(A)
Level 41:
Knockout Blow
Empty(A)
Level 44:
Arctic Breath
Empty(A)
Level 47:
Summon Coralax
Empty(A)
Level 49:
Hydro Blast
Empty(A)
------------
Level 1:
Brawl
Empty(A)
Level 1:
Opportunity
Level 1:
Sprint
Empty(A)
Level 2:
Rest
Empty(A)
Level 1:
Swift
Empty(A)
Level 1:
Health
Empty(A)
Level 1:
Hurdle
Empty(A)
Level 1:
Stamina
Empty(A

Edited by Siddha

4 hours ago, Siddha said:

I'm pretty content with the speed of athletic run to be honest.  I'm not sure I even need super jump.  He's a Water Control Golem so he's not meant to be fast.  Teleport isn't in theme either. 

Other than that. I'm not a fan of dehydrate. So primary + secondary + fighting + hasten, then whatever think the build needs.  If Leviathan than maybe some of those abilities. 

edit: cleaning up mess

Reveal hidden contents

Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Stone Armor
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery
Hero Profile
Level 1:
Aqua Bolt
Empty(A)
Level 1:
Rock Armor
Empty(A)
Level 2:
Stone Skin
Empty(A)
Level 4:
Water Burst
Empty(A)
Level 6:
Kick
Empty(A)
Level 8:
Tidal Forces
Empty(A)
Level 10:
Terra Firma
Empty(A)
Level 12:
Whirlpool
Empty(A)
Level 14:
Tough
Empty(A)
Level 16:
Rooted
Empty(A)
Level 18:
Water Jet
Empty(A)
Level 20:
Crystal Armor
Empty(A)
Level 22:
Steam Spray
Empty(A)
Level 24:
Brimstone Armor
Empty(A)
Level 26:
Geyser
Empty(A)
Level 28:
Minerals
Empty(A)
Level 30:
Weave
Empty(A)
Level 32:
Earth's Embrace
Empty(A)
Level 35:
Geode
Empty(A)
Level 38:
Hasten
Empty(A)
Level 41:
Knockout Blow
Empty(A)
Level 44:
Arctic Breath
Empty(A)
Level 47:
Summon Coralax
Empty(A)
Level 49:
Hydro Blast
Empty(A)
------------
Level 1:
Brawl
Empty(A)
Level 1:
Opportunity
Level 1:
Sprint
Empty(A)
Level 2:
Rest
Empty(A)
Level 1:
Swift
Empty(A)
Level 1:
Health
Empty(A)
Level 1:
Hurdle
Empty(A)
Level 1:
Stamina
Empty(A

Check out the Prestige Sprints, one of them does a slide FX you can then recolour at a trainer/tailor and might be more fitting than having a stone golem sprinting around like mad.

This is the expensive build. You get two free powers to do what you'd like with (these usually are taken up by travel powers). Aua Bolt is the weak link and could/should be replaced by Dehydrate, but it's up to you. Just swap the slotting if you do.

If you would like a cheap/leveling build during the time you're picking up money to buy all the things let me know.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, this looks great.  If it's not a hassle I would take you up on that offer to make a cheaper version. 

I do prefer aqua bolt over dehydrate, and doesn't the sentinel need to use the tier one ability to get an extra defense debuff?  I may be mistaken,  some of the info I have read seemed outdated.

I'll try out the slide with superspeed and see how it feels, it's not a bad idea.

You're awesome, thanks for the help.

4 hours ago, Siddha said:

Thanks, this looks great.  If it's not a hassle I would take you up on that offer to make a cheaper version. 

I do prefer aqua bolt over dehydrate, and doesn't the sentinel need to use the tier one ability to get an extra defense debuff?  I may be mistaken,  some of the info I have read seemed outdated.

I'll try out the slide with superspeed and see how it feels, it's not a bad idea.

You're awesome, thanks for the help.

As Oldskool said that mechanic is now gone. Instead you get a clickie called Vulnerability which makes mobs take more damage when hit. It's not a super important clickie though and I reserve it for archvillains.

Dehiydrate does heal you which is one of the perks of Water. Heals are something that Stone Armor lacks since it relies on regeneration instead. Keep it in mind for the future if you find yourself being whittled to death but it should not be a big thing since Sentinels get little agro.

This is the extreme cheapness build. Really not needed since money is pretty easy to make even just selling merits:

A more normal 'cheap' build. Does not have the same defenses as the first so carry small purples to use if suddenly taking too much damage. Also, cheap being relative since Decimations are 3-4 million a piece and the ATOs are 7-9 million a piece. But you can easily buy one by one and just throw it on top of the previous extreme cheap build without worrying about using Unslotters. In the end as you keep making money you can then slowly transition to the expensive build bit by bit as well even though you will then want to use Unslotters and not slot over and destroy stuff worth 3-4 million. You can then save those no longer needed IOs for your next character or just sell them back to the AH.

With this build you're already at 90% of the maximum potential and the original expensive build just adds a bit more damage and finishes rounding up defense:

• Thanks 1