Do scrappers use up Endurance faster than brutes?

RikOz

Or just certain power sets?

I have a Dual Blades/Super Reflexes scrapper and a Martial Arts/Ninjitsu scrapper who both just drain endurance in no time. The DB/SR character went into the fight against Veles in the Kings Row storyline, and I made sure to bring along a couple blue insps just to be safe. She had to use both of them, and still ended up out of endurance before the fight was over. She still managed to pull it out, but the last bit of the fight was a whole lot of Hit ... waaaiiiit ... Hit ... waaaiiiit ...

At that level endurance problems are very common because of the lack of slots and strong enhancements. It's been my experience that Brutes have more endurance problems because I'm constantly pushing to maintain the fury bar so I take less time to catch my breath between mobs.

I believe the problem is one of mindset as much as powerset.  The traditional mindset is to slot for damage and accuracy, and slotting for endurance reduction is a "waste."  So people don't, so they end up sucking wind.  Brutes are an exception specifically because the default mindset is different.  The standard theory is that brutes need to keep up fury for damage, so it is more important to hit constantly than hit hard, so it is "socially acceptable" to slot for endurance reduction.  So they do, and then they appear to be moving through content without running out of endurance as if by magic.

Back in the day I created a no stamina and no set invention build for MA/SR that while it wouldn't win any performance rewards was perfectly playable without running out of endurance constantly but could still kill things reasonably.  This is what it looked like taking on a Storm Palace spawn, a notoriously harder-than-average place for SR scrappers.

Not bad for a build that on paper does almost everything wrong.

Incidentally, I've seen multiple posts from people asking if the game is still fun, if the magic is still there, if the game holds up to modern standards.  I honestly haven't had time to do anything more than roll a few alts and park them in the tutorial yet, but I'm looking at that video from twelve years ago and honestly, I haven't done anything as fun as that in any MMO since then.

You nailed it. I know I'm guilty of underslotting endurance redux overall, but especially as I'm leveling. I do it with Brutes as well, which is why I'm terrible with them. I created an Elec/SD Brute and got it to level 36 or so and I just wasn't enjoying it*. Massive end problems, dying more often than I know I should. I rerolled as a Scrapper and the dying problem disappeared, endurance for that character was still an issue, but it was much more manageable since I wasn't concerned with moving so quickly.

*First character I really played since coming back, so rust may have been a factor as well. Also, my general playstyle for every AT, and really almost every game, is total Scrapperlock.

Not bad for a build that on paper does almost everything wrong.

I've been playing a MA/SR Scrapper since launch. My traditional leveling attack slotting is one or two acc, one dam, one end reduction (depending on what my level and slot availability is). Just recently, as in today, I thought, what would happen if I reslotted with two recharges and two end reductions (he's level 32 atm). With Focus Chi up, I still hit most targets pretty reliably, and while my damage suffers I'm also hitting a lot more often. And I never run out of endurance. I don't know if I'll keep it this way, or maybe I'll start adding acc as I continue to level to help buffer Focus Chi.

Incidentally, I've seen multiple posts from people asking if the game is still fun, if the magic is still there, if the game holds up to modern standards.  I honestly haven't had time to do anything more than roll a few alts and park them in the tutorial yet, but I'm looking at that video from twelve years ago and honestly, I haven't done anything as fun as that in any MMO since then.

Hey, that's me! The magic is still here!

Besides what arcanaville said about mindset, brutes just literally get less benefit out of damage slotting than scrappers do, both in absolute terms (lower base damage) and proportional to their total damage (because Fury already gives them a lot of +dmg). Three damage SOs roughly double a scrapper's damage, but for a brute with 80 fury, it's only about a 36% improvement. So even on a pure min/max basis, lowbie brutes will tend to slot more acc/end/rech and less damage than scrappers do, especially at low levels when you don't have enough slots or strong enough enhancements to just do everything. When leveling a brute, I often don't slot damage AT ALL until I start using IO sets...

Thanks for the comments. I'll try replacing some DMG enhancements with Endurance Reduction and see what happens. I already have ERs in the defensive skills. At these characters' current level (16) I don't have more than 3 slots unlocked per power.

I do tend to lean more toward the Brute playstyle, but at the moment I don't have any brutes with the same power sets as these scrappers, so I can't directly compare how they work out.

For a more specific answer: all powers have the same endurance costs across all AT, EXCEPT masterminds, who have a multiplier because their pets do a lot of the work

Almost true.  Claws is the exception.  When Claws were ported to Brutes and Tanks, on many of the attacks they increased the recharge time, damage and endurance costs compared to Scrappers.

As usual Arcanaville is correct.  Fury makes brutes do more damage which in turn means before slotting for damage, brutes are more energy efficient at dealing damage once the fury bar gets up.  With no damage slotted in an attack a brute with over 25% fury will do more damage than a scrapper (outside of crits) while using the same amount of endurance.  However at lvl 50 with both having 3 Damage IOs, they would have to maintain over 50% fury in order to do more damage (again outside of crits).