Good Omens 2

So, the Gods have blessed us - for their own ineffable reasons - with a teaser trailer for Season 2:

Spoiler
  • Tennant and Sheen are back with their inimitable chemistry, though seeming a tiny bit strained. Will not please the Crowleyphale 'shippers.
  • What will please them is adding Jon Hamm to their ineffable love triangle. The arrogant idiot archangel Gabriel hasn't so much fallen (or sauntered downwards) as... fallen for someone? But in the process, he seems to have taken a hit to the head and has no memory of who he is, how he got to Earth, or his phenomenal cosmic powers. 
  • While our dynamic duo had the Nice And Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, and several thousand years of other apocalyptic predictions to go on - right now they're as much in the dark as we are. All we know is that they have to protect Gabriel. Or Bad Stuff might happen. Gaiman has described this one as more of mystery tale, and that sounds cool.
  • We also add some new characters, including Quelin Supelvida as - apparently - a totally innocent junior angel Muriel, and Miranda Richardson as stylish demoness Shax (and possibly also returning as Madam Tracy from the first series.)
  • They've also released the new title sequence which may well hold more clues - but what the heaven, hell or herring's going on, I have no real clue about. And that's GOOD.

So what the ineffable do you lot think?

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

I'll watch it. So far most of the adaptations of Gaiman's works have been pretty good. Although I don't think I finished American Gods because who has Starz anymore?

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Cautiously optimistic as usual.  All the stuff is there, but we'll see if round 2 of Neil's little Miller-Urey experiment will spark up something new.  My only concrete reservation at the moment is that I'm not sure if a deliberately one-dimensional character from the first season can work as the plot focus of the second.

I am very curious, though, if this is something that Gaiman and Pratchett discussed before the latter's passing.

Regardless, I probably won't see it for a while.  Amazon has a lot to live down before I give them another dime.

On 6/8/2023 at 8:34 PM, TheOtherTed said:

I am very curious, though, if this is something that Gaiman and Pratchett discussed before the latter's passing.

Yes. Neil and PTerry had been good friends since straying onto each others' book tours some time back, and had a habit on that book of trying to mimic or mock each other's styles. (So the dark gothy and horrible stuff in the book is frequently Terry, and the ineffable wisdom, dad gags and snarky footnotes are often Neil.)

After the genuine breakthrough success of the first book, Neil and Terry were frequently bothered by their fans, publishers and bank managers about a sequel, a movie or both. And so they had multiple drinking sessions discussions about where they could run with it. Some of the ideas found their way into Series 1 along with some wholly new stuff, and some for Series 2.

(And some, particularly any that were mooted by helpful Whollyodd executives who wanted to "make it relevant to wider audiences", have been vitrified and buried under the South Downs, guarded by trained ninjas, ancient runes and a small but enthusiastic dragon, never to see the light of day).

Bearing in mind that this is from very old interviews and Neil's website comments...

Spoiler

The story is said to begin five minutes before anyone said "let there be light". The concept also looked at what angels are, where they came from, and what they did before they took sides and started bothering Earthlings about stuff like good, evil, poetry, tax returns, enlightenment, mindfulness tapes, and coffee (which both sides claim as their own.)

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Thanks 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.