Random PC Freezing While CoH Is Running

Riott

So not sure what is going on but since the new update my PC seems to freeze up to the point that using Task Manager to attempt to shut down the game after it locks up doesn't even work. I know it's not an issue with the PC, over heating, or anything like that since I literally have not issues running even modern games that have come up with much more demanding requirements then CoH does. Anyone got any ideas how to solve this issue? Could it be a setting? Or is this a bug that I will have to wait until they fix? Any help would be appreciated.

And there's a little-known hotkey combination — ctrl-shift-Win-B — that forces Windows to reload your graphics drivers. Using it every couple of days seems to have eliminated the occasional "No appropriate graphics devices found" errors I used to get, which necessitated a reboot.

I've been getting the same thing since the patch from a couple weeks ago.  No other issues in any other game I play (Player's Unknown Battlegrounds, Borderlands 3).  I was on an nVidia 1660ti with the latest drivers.  I upgraded as of Saturday with a Radeon 7900 xtx with latest adrenalin drivers.  Getting even more random crashes.  Almost never crashed prior to May 16th update.  Quite frustrating.  Happens on the 1st boot of the day but if I reboot after the crash it seems to not happen for a good while.  I monitor my game stats (gpu temp, cpu temp, gpu mem allocation, system mem allocation and usage) and everything is infantile at best.  Not using anywhere near the resources my other games use.

1 hour ago, Marshman said:

I've been getting the same thing since the patch from a couple weeks ago.  No other issues in any other game I play (Player's Unknown Battlegrounds, Borderlands 3).  I was on an nVidia 1660ti with the latest drivers.  I upgraded as of Saturday with a Radeon 7900 xtx with latest adrenalin drivers.  Getting even more random crashes.  Almost never crashed prior to May 16th update.  Quite frustrating.  Happens on the 1st boot of the day but if I reboot after the crash it seems to not happen for a good while.  I monitor my game stats (gpu temp, cpu temp, gpu mem allocation, system mem allocation and usage) and everything is infantile at best.  Not using anywhere near the resources my other games use.

I used to get random crashes like this when I had 16 GBs of system RAM, had Chrome open and set to use GPU acceleration. Upgrading to 32 GBs of RAM fixed all the crashing issues. I don't have a good explanation, as memory monitoring with 16 GBs rarely went above 80%. I think Chrome uses more memory than the system reports it does.

Trying closing everything before playing, see if that helps.

1. What're your system specs.  CPU, GPU, Memory, and how full is the system drive?  What kind of temps are you getting off these devices (INCLUDING SSDs).
    https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

2. What resolution are you running at?  And how high do you have the graphics cranked?  Do you have FSAA (Full Screen AntiAliasing) turned on?  And if so, how high?  If you crank FSAA too high, yeah, you can pretty much get crash on demand.

3. HOW are you running/installiing/Upgrading your graphics drivers?  Possibly try using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to clean-sweep the system.
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

4. What's the spec on your power supply?

5. Have you done any testing on your system RAM?
    https://www.memtest86.com/

6. Possibly try resetting the game's graphics settings to default, then re-tweak them back up.

This should get you started.  And hopefully one or more of these suggestions can help you stabilize.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 2 weeks later
On 6/29/2023 at 6:00 AM, Hyperstrike said:
  1. What're your system specs.  CPU, GPU, Memory, and how full is the system drive?  What kind of temps are you getting off these devices (INCLUDING SSDs).
    https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

2. What resolution are you running at?  And how high do you have the graphics cranked?  Do you have FSAA (Full Screen AntiAliasing) turned on?  And if so, how high?  If you crank FSAA too high, yeah, you can pretty much get crash on demand.

3. HOW are you running/installiing/Upgrading your graphics drivers?  Possibly try using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to clean-sweep the system.
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

4. What's the spec on your power supply?

5. Have you done any testing on your system RAM?
    https://www.memtest86.com/

6. Possibly try resetting the game's graphics settings to default, then re-tweak them back up.

This should get you started.  And hopefully one or more of these suggestions can help you stabilize.

This didn't start happening until the patch on May 16th or the week prior.  It's been the same PC since Oct 2022.  32GB ram, i7-12700k, temps are well with in range for all cpu cores, memory, ssd's, and gpu.  Happens with Chrome open or closed but more with Chrome open so yes I do keep that closed.  My PC doesn't crash, just the game.  Memtest has been ran several times without any found errors.  I'm on a 1000W power supply, and a 7900xtx (was on a 1660ti until June 27th but again this was happening before the new gpu)  Also did a full reinstall of the game and that has lessened the frequency but not eliminated it. Prior to that patch I seldom crashed.  I could go months without crashing and playing in 4 hour blocks easily.

Edited by Marshman

4 hours ago, Marshman said:

This didn't start happening until the patch on May 16th or the week prior.  It's been the same PC since Oct 2022. 

• 32GB ram
  • i7-12700k
  • and a 7900xtx (was on a 1660ti until June 27th but again this was happening before the new gpu) 
    (How did you remove the old NVIDIA drivers?  Regular Windows uninstall?  Or DDU?)
  • temps are well with in range for all cpu cores, memory, ssd's, and gpu. 
  • Happens with Chrome open or closed but more with Chrome open so yes I do keep that closed. 
  • My PC doesn't crash, just the game. 
  • Memtest has been ran several times without any found errors. 
  • I'm on a 1000W power supplya
  • Also did a full reinstall of the game and that has lessened the frequency but not eliminated it.
  • Prior to that patch I seldom crashed.  I could go months without crashing and playing in 4 hour blocks easily.

If you only did a Windows  Add/Remove Programs uninstall of the video driver, I recommend an uninstall using DDU.  Will basically scrub detritus of things the Windows installer misses.

Also, make sure all your chipset and controller drivers are completely up to date.

Have you looked at the Windows Event Viewer logs to see what sort of error you're generating?

Edited by Hyperstrike

• 4 weeks later

I used DDU as I do whenever I completely uninstall a video card or change manufacturers.  It seems to be stable now after a motherboard driver update that was released June 2023 🙂  Keeping my fingers crossed but 2 weeks and no crashing whatsoever.  Thanks for the reply.

14 hours ago, Marshman said:

I used DDU as I do whenever I completely uninstall a video card or change manufacturers.  It seems to be stable now after a motherboard driver update that was released June 2023 🙂  Keeping my fingers crossed but 2 weeks and no crashing whatsoever.  Thanks for the reply.

Big Smile Emoticon With Thumbs Up Stock Illustration - Download Image Now -  Emoticon, Toothy Smile, Smiling

this was happening to me as well, after extensive troubleshooting i was able to to determine that it was something i had plugged into a USB port while the game was running. no idea if that helps but hope to see you soon in paragon!

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?