I used to laugh at this...

TheOtherTed

• 2 weeks later
On 7/29/2023 at 12:59 PM, TheOtherTed said:

...but now I am this.

Looking back, that's interesting timing.  The USA national law to install seatbelts didn't go into affect until Jan. 1, 1968.  This TV show ended in 1968.  Mandatory use of seatbelts happened at the state level, and the first case (New York) didn't go into affect until 1984.  Meaning, at the time of this show, seat belts were considered a non-standard, even luxury item.  It makes no sense, unless this clip was from the end of the show and was promoting the new law for installing seat belts, or the writers had a great deal of foresight and realized the impact the show might have on kids in the first (me) and second generation of reruns.  Very interesting.

(I confirmed the dates with Wikipedia.  I only remembered this because in college I used to spend hours tooling around in my close friend's 1970 jeep, which had no seat belts.  I suspect the law had a delay or wave clause for certain vehicles.)

46 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Looking back, that's interesting timing.  The USA national law to install seatbelts didn't go into affect until Jan. 1, 1968.  This TV show ended in 1968.  Mandatory use of seatbelts happened at the state level, and the first case (New York) didn't go into affect until 1984.  Meaning, at the time of this show, seat belts were considered a non-standard, even luxury item.  It makes no sense, unless this clip was from the end of the show and was promoting the new law for installing seat belts, or the writers had a great deal of foresight and realized the impact the show might have on kids in the first (me) and second generation of reruns.  Very interesting.

(I confirmed the dates with Wikipedia.  I only remembered this because in college I used to spend hours tooling around in my close friend's 1970 jeep, which had no seat belts.  I suspect the law had a delay or wave clause for certain vehicles.)

I think it was because they were mandatory to be installed by 1968 and Batman was all about safety.   Really depended on which car manufacturer if they always had them, or it was optional before then.   I think a lot of european imports already had them at least for the front seats.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Techwright said:

It makes no sense, unless this clip was from the end of the show and was promoting the new law for installing seat belts, or the writers had a great deal of foresight and realized the impact the show might have on kids in the first (me) and second generation of reruns.

My take is that any law that has a broad impact on the everyday habits of people is likely preceded by years, even decades, of debate (see the smoking bans in the US, for example).  Thus, the writers were probably well aware of the seatbelt issue, and maybe they decided to use Batman to poke some fun at it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
  • 1 month later
On 8/22/2023 at 12:27 PM, TheOtherTed said:

So many valuable life sessions from one corny TV show...

Not least because it makes heroes easier to tell apart from villains, baby, yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 5 weeks later
On 8/11/2023 at 7:29 PM, Techwright said:

Looking back, that's interesting timing.  The USA national law to install seatbelts didn't go into affect until Jan. 1, 1968.

Many cars had seatbelts, as standard or (as you go earlier) optional equipment, long before 1968. Most sports cars and the like had them, whether as real or show-off racing gear, back into the 1940s.

The idea of having, and using, seatbelts didn't just appear out of nowhere with the Nixon presidency. And as noted, it would have been just about the time and zeitgeist for Bats to lecture about it.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

• 1 month later