Weird (convenient) Opportunity bug?

Umbramancer

Finally pulled myself away from my seven-year-old recreated characters and previously-paywalled powersets to try the sentinel archetype for the first time, and something odd happened on my first outing.

I'd been reading that I shouldn't expect all that much from the Opportunity mechanic, but when my DP/Fire rolled out, the result was a nearly-uninterrupted arresting rampage all around Atlas and the Hollows.  I'd thought they were supposed to be like semi-ranged Scrappers, but I was playing like a semi-ranged Brute, and chaining Opportunities into each other before the bar could drain.  Hit level 6 before it even occurred to me something was off.

But once I hit level 8 (and the entire time I later played a Beam/Rad), the Opportunity bar would empty completely once the buff wore off and start building anew...which I gather is supposed to be how it works?  For a brief, glorious period, my Opportunity bar was instead decaying like Fury, and as long as I was attacking, I could literally end one Opportunity and go immediately into another.  Was this just some weird server glitch?

And if that's not how Opportunity usually works, well...could it?

One thing I've noticed about Opportunity is that it says that only ONE opportunity can be active at a time..  That is not entirely true.  While using Water Blast power set.    When both the Aqua Blast (Offensive) and Hydro Blast (Defensive) are available to fire off, When I fire off the Defensive first (longer cast time) and click the Offensive as fast as possible while the Hydro is still casting both land at the same time and I get both OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE BUFFS at the same time.  I've done it multiple times.  Some powers may be able to do it besides Water Blast but I haven't tried them all.  I do know that I have not been able to do it with Fire.

One thing I've noticed about Opportunity is that it says that only ONE opportunity can be active at a time..  That is not entirely true.  While using Water Blast power set.    When both the Aqua Blast (Offensive) and Hydro Blast (Defensive) are available to fire off, When I fire off the Defensive first (longer cast time) and click the Offensive as fast as possible while the Hydro is still casting both land at the same time and I get both OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE BUFFS at the same time.  I've done it multiple times.  Some powers may be able to do it besides Water Blast but I haven't tried them all.  I do know that I have not been able to do it with Fire.

That sounds pretty cool :)

• 1 month later

As a water/fire sentinel, I love you! It's fiddly and hard to get off for me sometimes, but when it happens its amazing :)

And if that's not how Opportunity usually works, well...could it?

I've made several Sentinels & played them into the 15-20 range, but I've never had it work that way for me. I do think it'd probably be an improvement.  Perhaps significantly better, if you can immediately hit someone with Vulnerable as soon as the old Opportunity wears off.  Anyway, that's certainly an odd story.

I Just did this with my psychic blast sentinel - mental blast has such a slow projectile that if you fire it off then follow up with tk blast (with its much faster cast/projectile) I got stacking opportunities. It was amusing, only did it once but I will try to duplicate it in the future.

BR has an even more interesting bug -- sometimes its chaining AoEs (Refractor Beam and Overcharge) count each chain as a separate hit for opportunity.

All kinds of opportunity.

Building opportunity, the small damage proc for using offensive opportunity, the healing and endurance recovery on defensive... I've had a few fights on +4/x8 where I basically heal to full every 3 seconds, opportunity drops, recharges and I'm back 2 seconds later.

Everlasting: American iDoll, Dumbelle, Chernobyl Rose, Caged Cuckoo, Joseon One

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!