Bind/Macro for bind key for the target of my target (assist target)?

jmed009

In world of warcraft there was a key to press for 'target of target'.  I would use it to first target an ally and then make my target the same as theirs without targeting the player any more.  In CoH it does automatically redirect your attacks through a friendly target towards their target but you cant press a button to switch automatically.  You can look for the enemy health bar that pops up and re-target manually.

If it were possible,  i would love a target of target button.  If i target a player at range and try to attack but my melee cant reach,  hitting follow will move me towards the player and not their target.  A target of target button would be the solution.  Its something i can work around but still miss having.

• Like 1

So here is the issue I'm having. In certain harder missions where as the only healer (I'm a MM), I want to just focus on buffs and heals..  my target is usually one of 3 people on the team, and I have my pets to attack their target. Sometimes the pets will but the other half they don't. They just stand there until someone attacks me. I have them on aggressive so I thought that would do it but something isn't  working so I thought maybe there is an /assist that would be a better option to try.

5 hours ago, TheZag said:

If it were possible,  i would love a target of target button.  If i target a player at range and try to attack but my melee cant reach,  hitting follow will move me towards the player and not their target.  A target of target button would be the solution.  Its something i can work around but still miss having.

I might be imagining it, but I think if you have a friendly targeted then hitting tab (default setting) should switch you to their target directly?

It is probably my imagination. Someone will be along shortly to confirm or (more likely) correct.

I am probably mixing it up with being taunted where tab (if set to default) targets the thing taunting you.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Figured it out. Just wrote a macro for it which works really well.

/macro TgtEny "target_name <playername>$$assist"

Push the macro button: if the player your targeting has an enemy he/she is fighting it will target that enemy but if they don't it will just target them instead.   

Just in case this helps someone else out there, I came up with two solutions: 

Macro 1:  /macro TgtEny "target_name <playername>$$assist"

This macro directly targets a specific player by their name (replace <playername> with the actual name) and then assists their target. It's a more precise way to select a particular teammate, especially in a situation where there may be many players around. Works well if you typically play with a set group of team mates. 

Macro 2: /macro Teammate "target_custom_near friend alive teammate$$assist"

This macro targets a nearby, alive teammate without specifying a name, then assists their target. It's more generalized and doesn't require you to know or input the player's name.

Cheers!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/20/2023 at 9:55 PM, jmed009 said:

Figured it out. Just wrote a macro for it which works really well.

/macro TgtEny "target_name <playername>$$assist"

Applause. Good implementation.

I don't check in here as often as I used to but if I'd seen this at post or earlier this week, I'd have pointed you to /assist and /assistname for this purpose.

And suggested a bind instead of a macro, but that's a neverending war. 🙂

Note that the latter command allows a slightly cleaner string. You could have hard-coded commands by name if you routinely team with the same folks:

/bind U "assist_name $target"

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

• 8 months later

There is one for defeating old school Rikti (25) Called "Zeta Reticulan"

There is One For Old School Circle of Thorns (25) called "Gardener".

I haven't seen a counter for Warriors, Hellions, Clockwork, DE, BP, Sky Raiders, Trolls, Outcasts, 5th Column, Family, Freakshow, Crey, Nemesis, Skulls, Tsoo

Okay Time Keeper is for 25 Time Capsules.  There is no counter for capsules beyond 25.

Oh and thanks for the remoinder about the bind @Shenanigunner

Edited by High_Beam
Edited as Updated.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

Other than having to hit about 25 Time Capsules to get one (1) more CoT and three (3) more Rikti, I think that's the first time I've cleared an event's list in one afternoon. The search bind helps; running laps in places like Talos and IP ensures a pretty much continual supply of targets. (Lost count but I think it was close to 120 glowies.)

I ended up withj 20 extra Anniversary tokens and that was enough to fill all 20 slots with Anniversary skittles. Nice and tidy.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com