4 Star Ice/cold, help me reconfigure for general use please

Bacon4x4

This build is oriented toward 4 star content and its wonderful for that. How would i reconfigure it for general use, utilizing as much of the same enhancements as are in it now? And with a flight power rather than TP?

Good recovery is always a necessity for me, and thank you. 

I am a 2 month noob, still can't MIDs well

Ice-Cold_S.mbd

Edited by Bacon4x4

I can't imagine running this in 4* content. It's a hot mess sorely lacking in defense and resistance. 5-slotted Brawl? 6-slotted Stamina? I don't have the time to rebuild this from the ground up, but here are some suggestions:

• Drop the slots from Brawl
  • Slot Stamina with 2 Performance Shifters (endmod + %end)
  • Add slots to Arctic Fog - 3x defense set + 3x resist set
  • Slot the 2 +def uniques and the 2 +resist uniques. These can go in Ice Shield, Glacial Shield or Arctic Fog. (The +def uniques can also go in Mind Over Body.)
  • Slot Freeze Ray and Bitter Ice Blast for damage, not procs. I would slot the full Malice of the Corrupter set in one of them.
  • Slotting Sleet for damage is a huge waste. Move the 3 pieces of Scourging Blast to Freeze Ray or Bitter Ice Blast (whichever one doesn't get Malice of the Corruptor). Slot Sleet with 2x recharge IOs or the defense debuff set of your choice.
  • Slot Heat Loss with one of the non-damage endmod sets. Heat Loss does no damage.
  • Not sure why you have Dominate since you already have 2 holds in Ice. I would drop this or Bitter Freeze Ray for Ice Storm. If you keep Bitter Freeze Ray, slot for damage, not hold (move the Apocalypse set from Ice Bolt).
  • Slot Mind Over Body with 4x Unbreakable Guard.
  • Like 1

I will respond to the OP in just a moment, but I want to comment on this first:

9 minutes ago, Uun said:

I can't imagine running this in 4* content. It's a hot mess sorely lacking in defense and resistance.

This build is fine and extremely effective.

This is a high-dps procbombing build, so the mules are needed to get rech/acc (this also explains the slotting in eg. sleet, because they need the actual attacks to carry procs). Procbombing colds are extremely effective when a smooth run means shanking the AV's fast before lore pets time out.

The survivability on this build comes from being HP capped, hence all the 2x malice of the corr for the 3% HP bonus. In 4*, the goal is to survive just one hit after which it is the healer's job to fix you. The def and res will come from barrier and team buffs. 0 def 0 res blasters do fine on 4*, after all.

However, in another way you are also correct because - for those who have not done hard mode that may be reading this - it is potentially risky not to have good def/res because pugs will usually not bring another def buffer if they have a cold, then you die because you can't shield yourself. It doesn't matter so long as there are other def buffs going out but it is a substantial amount of comp flexibility being lost. I actually suspect this is why OP asks for a more general-purpose build because in babymode content you can't always assume there will be such buffs going around. So, suggestions around adding def and res may not be out of line with OP's needs after all.

4* is more about intelligent play and teamwork than it is about uber builds, but that does mean being aware of your strengths and limitations, and what teammates are likely to bring to the table.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Zect said:

I actually suspect this is why OP asks for a more general-purpose build because in babymode content you can't always assume there will be such buffs going around.

Yes this is how we have been playing it, what the build lacks is made up for by other teammates, the runs are very scripted and as long as everyone is doing their jobs, its been very successful. I just don't have time to do the runs and still play with friends, and I'm a noob with not much money so would like to rebuild it using as much of the same enhancements as I can.

And thank you both!!

19 hours ago, Bacon4x4 said:

Good recovery is always a necessity for me, and thank you. 

In case you are not doing this already, use heat loss on cooldown. Even on a single target, it is nearly +100% recovery. Good heatloss uptime is critical to a steady flow of endurance.

Here are my proposed changes, bearing in mind your build goals. Below I will explain what I have changed and why.

icecold2.thumb.png.d1b0e66dc59f9f8945cc528aec1f33af.png

This build has exactly 40% ranged def. Your barrier core T4 is essentially perma-5% def and res to all. Hence, you will be softcapped to range (and about 30% to melee/aoe) with it on, and this should suffice for babymode.

The cost of these defenses is 15% rech, leaving your hasten about 4s from permanent. Keeping the rech will require significant changes to the build. However, my assessment is that it's okay to have a small gap in hasten (and sleet not perfectly double-stacked), and this build has better heatloss uptime due to better enhancement value in it - power transfer was designed for damaging attacks so a lot of its enhancement value is tied up in damage, not rech.

Note that we have swapped teleport for flight and hover. With the free power choice this gives us, I recommend ice storm. You will sell your hecatombs and with the money buy a set of ragnaroks to put in it, effectively moving the set bonus there.

You will also sell your apocs formerly in ice bolt because we are now getting another 10% rech bonus from the malice of the corr ATIO, reassembled as a full set in blizzard (you may prefer to swap the locations of the ATIO and ragnarok depending on where you want the damage proc). The sale will give you money to buy all the much cheaper IO's that are in this new build.

Notice that your ice shields are now more weakly slotted. The reason is that you are no longer aiming for the HP cap so it is fine to lose the HP bonus from 3x lotg. The missing slot loses only 0.4% def to allies and gives us slots to invest in our own defenses.

In the long run, you should consider whether you really need burnout. While it's funny to drop double-blizzards on trash and so on, all the things you can achieve with burnout are rather niche. If you are willing to drop burnout, CJ and super speed (the stealth doesn't stack with fog, the celerity you have in sprint does though), you can instead take kick/tough/weave. This makes you significantly tankier and eases the difficulty of getting defense, potentially allowing diversion of set bonuses back to rech instead, or, for example, dropping bfr as a set mule - these are the significant changes I referred to earlier.

icecold2.mbd

Edited by Zect

To the original poster,I also use this build. I do have an alternate build for general play and i switch back and forth, but I find myself using mostly the 4star build because the damage is so much higher than the general build. 

And I just use a Rocket pack from the P2W. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later