Proc priority for my attacks

MythsnWraiths

Context: I am playing a melee focused Energy/Energy Blaster (Blapper). I have near perma hasten (4 seconds off) and minimal dead space on my attack chain (Energy Punch > Snipe > Bone Smasher) with just IO sets.

Question: For my three primary attack powers, would it be better to put a single Nucleolus Exposure, 4 x damage procs, and a FF + Recharge Proc to improve recharge time on Nova, Buildup, and Aim or would the return on FF procs not be worth the loss in damage and accuracy from a second Nucleolus Exposure? 

You are quite right. I think I will put one in Power blast and one in snipe. Power Blast can serve as a filler attack, and ranged attack when necessary. It likely wont be enough to keep the FF buff up most of the time but it should be worth the cost of an enhancement in Snipe.

Edited by MythsnWraiths

On 9/23/2023 at 4:00 AM, MythsnWraiths said:

Context: I am playing a melee focused Energy/Energy Blaster (Blapper). I have near perma hasten (4 seconds off) and minimal dead space on my attack chain (Energy Punch > Snipe > Bone Smasher) with just IO sets.

Question: For my three primary attack powers, would it be better to put a single Nucleolus Exposure, 4 x damage procs, and a FF + Recharge Proc to improve recharge time on Nova, Buildup, and Aim or would the return on FF procs not be worth the loss in damage and accuracy from a second Nucleolus Exposure? 

Blasters have a Melee Damage Scale of 1.000 and a ranged Damage Scale of 1.125. I would not be so quick to try for 4x %damage, even with Hami-Os to cover Accuracy and Damage. I can almost see the thinking behind this approach (if somehow the Blaster is at/near the damage cap) ... but I am almost always looking at some set bonus that could be gained in the attack powers... for example the Very Rares which often boost global Accuracy and Recharge (each is important for %damage).

I'm not an advocate of the FF +Recharge pieces. When I was investigating their use to help long-recharge time powers I turned on the power timers and monitored the recharge times with and without the %+Recharge proc slotted (unslotters are cheap). I won't argue against their use in theory, but I do encourage some in-game monitoring to verify they are paying off as expected.

On 9/23/2023 at 3:00 AM, MythsnWraiths said:

minimal dead space on my attack chain

If Hasten isn't perma then I'm guessing you have around 100%\-110% global recharge, and you aren't slotting recharge, so running that attack chain with 280% total recharge (100% base + 110% + Hasten) I get this:

Energy Punch
Pause (1.242285714285713)
Quick Snipe
Pause (0.846285714285715)
Bone Smasher
Pause (0.27142857142857224)
73.61346434601549 DPSA over 6.715999999999999 seconds

However if you slotted one recharge SO, bringing the total recharge to roughly 310% I see this:

Energy Punch
Pause (1.0989677419354837)
Quick Snipe
Pause (0.7771612903225797)
Bone Smasher
79.3289137610667 DPSA over 6.232129032258063 seconds

Of course none of this applies if you are counting on that FF proc being active, but you're relying on it pretty heavily to bring up your DPS with that slotting and attack chain.

Looking at proc chances and the average damage the proc will do at that probability as a percentage of base damage, I see this (at 0% slotted recharge)

Quick Snipe : 79.24% proc chance,  23.61% of base damage
Energy Punch  64.49% proc chance, 42.45% of base damage
Bone Smasher : 90.00% proc chance (capped),  44.66% of base damage

I like to look at these number to figure out the value of a proc versus regular damage enhancement in a power.  Unless you expect to be damage capped from some source regularly, it looks like slotting damage close to the ED limit in the quick snipe is worthwhile.

I'm not sure what to conclude from any of this.  Slotting recharge is tricky in the way it interacts with procs versus optimizing an attack chain.  However in my experience any significant pause in an attack chain will drag down your DPS.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I based my quick snipe calcs on having the Kismet unique as well as Tactics slotted to the ED limit for tohit, and thereby nearly capping the quick snipe's variable damage.

Edited by carroto
  • Like 1