Laptop won't boot. What can I do to preserve my account/builds B4 fresh windows install?

shortguy on indom

Laptop won't boot.  What can I do to preserve my account/builds B4 fresh windows install?

• everything gamewise is as the homecoming directions said to do it.  everything in the 'doc' folder.
  • been trying every "fix" for my mbr and uefi file i can find on internet.  no dice so far.

can i preserve my toon and build, or will all be lost?

thanks.

PvP Capture the Flag!  Bring some fun into it....

Your characters are saved server-side.  If you're concerned about your screenshots, saved binds, etc, you could always remove the hard drive/SSD and either install it in a new chassis or put it in an external enclosure or something like a SATA to USB adapter to access then copy over those files.

Edited by biostem
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, shortguy on indom said:

Think it may be a good time to upgrade the old laptop with a new SATA and some more memory.

Unless you know specifically that it is the drive that's bad, I wouldn't try putting a new HDD/SSD in the old laptop just yet.  Assuming that the main body of the old laptop is in fact still in good working order, I'd try and weigh how much it'd cost you to upgrade the RAM vs how much of a performance increase it'll get you.  If it had a Celeron w/ 4GB of RAM, and unless you're in love with it, it's probably not worth investing more money in.  If it's an i5 or better, then going to 8GB or even 16GB may be worth it, (again assuming everything else is in good working order).

I'm definitely not attached to it.  The only two things which are good about it:  is has a huge screen, and not quite full size keyboard.

Looked at some SATA drives and some memory, about $50 and $30.

Its and 2014ish AMD machine, has 2 mem slots.  Right now has one 8mb stick and will take another 8mb.  1TB-HDD.  Nothing fancy, but it does the job.

If I was going to upgrade would go a mini pc ..... like the small size and portability.  Could prolly take it to work. lol

so, just a follow-up its fixed.

after i saved all the files which i wanted to be sure not to lose with a new win install....including lots of irreplacable photos.

was far easier than i thought.  lol. 

watched a guy on youtube.  "the last flashdrive you will ever need."

opensource (free) downloads onto a flashdrive:

• ventoy
  • linux mint (cinnamon)

open up linux and copied the files i wanted for an hour or so onto other flashdrives....then reloaded windows. done, but got aggravated with the windows install.....

😶decided to wipe the just installed windows off of my clean laptop and give linux mint a whirl.  like the simplicity and no bloat.🙃

hope th CoH install will be easy.  new to this linux stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2023 at 10:12 PM, shortguy on indom said:

Right now has one 8mb stick and will take another 8mb.

Hope you meant "8GB", but either way, glad to hear you got yourself up-and-running!  Yeah, those live distro's of Linux can be very handy!

2 hours ago, shortguy on indom said:

hope th CoH install will be easy.  new to this linux stuff.

I'm not on mint, but been running Linux with CoH since the return with no problems.   Mids is the tricky install.

caveat: Been running Linux as my primary since the 90s