Burn no longer crits

Nemu

Dusted off my staff/fire stalker and I noticed that burn no longer crits. Searched patch notes for any mention of this and couldn't find any changes specific to removing the ability to crit from burn.

Hoping this is a bug and not a stealth "fix" related to the change to multiple patches, etc... Can any other fire armor stalkers out there (all 2 of you) chime in?

• Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

I tested scrapper irradiated ground which has similar properties to burn since both spawn a pet. IG also doesn't have the crit tag, and this is what I saw:

[11:37] Burn Flames: You hit Rikti Pylon with your Burn for 8.37 points of Fire damage.
[11:37] Irradiated Ground: You hit Rikti Pylon with your Irradiated Ground for 11.56 points of Fire damage.
[11:37] Irradiated Ground: You hit Rikti Pylon with your Irradiated Ground for 11.56 points of Fire damage (CRITICAL).
[11:37] Burn Flames: You hit Rikti Pylon with your Burn for 8.37 points of Fire damage.
[11:37] Burn Flames: You hit Rikti Pylon with your Burn for 8.05 points of Fire damage.
[11:37] Irradiated Ground: You hit Rikti Pylon with your Irradiated Ground for 11.12 points of Fire damage.
[11:37] Burn Flames: You hit Rikti Pylon with your Burn for 8.05 points of Fire damage.
[11:37] Irradiated Ground: You hit Rikti Pylon with your Irradiated Ground for 11.56 points of Fire damage.

Not apples to apples but at least I now understand that IG can crit. On the contrary fiery aura doesn't crit but pool powers like boxing/kick can crit. I dug around COD a bit more and it does look like damage powers from scrapper/stalker secondaries don't have crit flags so the burn crits I saw a year ago may truly be unintended. Still, BOOOOO. That was the schtick that made fire armor fun on a stalker - controlled double build up burn crits.

• Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

On 12/16/2023 at 9:03 AM, Nemu said:

Not apples to apples but at least I now understand that IG can crit.

Traditionally Stalker/Scrapper secondary powers weren't granted critical hits on purpose. Burn used to crit for Stalkers, but never did for Scrappers; similarly both Quills and IG will crit, but armor based auras like Death Shroud et al will not. (Tangent - this has always mildly annoyed me seeing as how those powers benefit from Brute's Fury meter as well as recent AoE radius buffs to Tankers).

The mold was broken for Brimstone's fire damage "proc," which I had hoped would mean a sea change, but signs point to that not happening.

Probably worth asking if this change was intended when Burn was re-structured. Last time I looked at it in CoD it did have tags for Stalker's "team crit" bonus, but those references are no longer there. It is possible that the crit chance was removed to bring it in line with the Scrapper version, but I really have no actual idea.

Bug report thread?

🤷‍♂️

Edited by InvaderStych
wrong word
  • Like 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.