The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Fiery Embrace, why doesn't it work anymore?

Tcat9

So I was asked by a friend if I noticed if fiery embrace affected anything for me while playing.

I tested it in content, and in the AE building with combat attributes open.

It does not show up at all in the damage bonus section or to hit section while build up does.

It does not show up at all in any of the other categories.

When did this power stop doing anything at all?

Fiery Embrace, Why doesn't it work anymore?

Here's the link to Fiery Embrace from city of Data:

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=brute_defense.fiery_aura.fiery_embrace&at=brute

In PvP it boosts damage, with extra boost and duration to fire damage.

But in PvE all it does is add a "flag".  When you use an attack and that flag is active, you get bonus fire damage added.  That damage is listed in every attack that could be boosted by fiery embrace.  For example: https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=brute_melee.battle_axe.gash&at=brute

Or you can look up an attack in game and under the "detailed info" tab see that it adds a set amount of damage, "Only using Fiery Embrace."

As to when that happened . . . it was a long time ago.  I'd have to research.

Edit: It was changed in Issue 18, which came out in April 2010.  https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Issue_18

Edited by Bionic_Flea

9 hours ago, Tcat9 said:

It does not show up at all in any of the other categories.

If you set up a chat tab to display damage dealt, you should be seeing it as its own line item along the lines of "You did ## damage to <target> with your Firey Embrace."

Easier to see with a dedicated damage tab than the default combat tab, which flies by pretty quickly.

It won't show up in Combat Attributes as mentioned above, and the Powers Info in game doesn't do a good job of displaying it either. Best place to look for it is in chat display window or setup logging and check combat logs after the fact.

Edit:

Why in the world is it spelled Fiery? Fire isn't spelled Fier? 🤣

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

2 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

Why in the world is it spelled Fiery? Fire isn't spelled Fier?

Ask the Middle English linguist that coined it. Then again, the rules for English were way more complicated in High English and Middle English than they are now, so it probably made sense and followed the expected rules of grammar at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Ask the Middle English linguist that coined it. Then again, the rules for English were way more complicated in High English and Middle English than they are now, so it probably made sense and followed the expected rules of grammar at the time.

probably for the same reason telephone doesn't have an F in it lol

the rules for language evolve and change over time generation by generation

I have no idea who sets, approves or enforces these "rules"

the one that always got me is when nouns have genders.

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

1 hour ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

the one that always got me is when nouns have genders.

Probably a holdover from the original language the word was borrowed from. In the 'romantic' languages, those derived from Latin just in case anyone doesn't know, everything has a gender. (I don't know why, but to an extent, it makes sense. Why? For the same reason many guys I know call their cars or boats females when they refer to them. Some people just can't seem to avoid gendering everything.)

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct "hold over" to "holdover".

6 hours ago, Rudra said:

Then again, the rules for English were way more complicated in High English and Middle English than they are now, so it probably made sense and followed the expected rules of grammar at the time.

In fairness, it's also phonetically accurate, mostly, depending on how one wants to read the 'y' on its own. But whatever. TIL I've been wrong about Fiery for longer than I can remember, mostly because today is the first time I've actually given it a first thought, much less a second. 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.