The Rich Alt's Guide to Perma-Dom

MonteCarla

You can directly purchase the purple set recipes at a kind of vending machine using merits gained from running content that provides such rewards. Check your "special" salvage to see how many merits your character has.

You can also convert merits into "hero merits", which contain 50 merits. Then you can email those hero merits to your own account as an attachment (one hero merit attached per email). Another character on that account can open up any emails you've sent to your own account, then convert any hero merits claimed from such emails back into merits at the same vendor that allowed you to purchase hero merits in the first place. Then that character can use those merits to make any wanted purchases. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later

Good guide. I am running a Grav/Arse/Energy and ended up having a build that didn't focus so much on Defense at all. I have more Resist than Defense, but even that isn't capped. I did take Combat Jumping, Tough, Weave, and Temp Invulnerability.

What I built for, aside from Recharge, was Endurance tools, Damage Bonuses and Accuracy, and lots of procs. I'm not running any purple sets, and honestly I don't need them, which is a relief. 

Force Feedback in Propel and Buckshot early on were my bread and butter for ghetto recharge. Even before Hasten it was noticable, I even put one in Kick. 🤣 

I also ran Kismet until I got Targeting Drone, then I dropped it. 

My recharge with Hasten up is 132.50%. 

My recharge with Ageless up 152.50%. 

It's the most fun I've had on a Dominator so far. 

• Like 2

I've seen it said several times here that Dominators have one of the biggest gaps between baseline performance and kitted out IO set performance. I do not disagree. 

In their base state, Dominators are like control-heavy damage-light blasters, relying on active defence to stay alive, with an on-again/off-again mechanic of Domination that lets them handle bosses. With Set IOs this becomes permanent, and Dominators have mez protection and decent passive defences, and can dish out boss-level crowd control. 
A well-built Dominator is a combination Controller, Scrapper and Blaster.

Who do Carnie Master Illusionists fear? Perma-Dominators, that's who! Lock them down in one swift move before they can pop their pets out!

This guide is for players with a couple of 100 million lying around, and takes you through how to enjoy the power of Perma-Dom as early as possible. It's a very satisfying journey, watching that global recharge number increase and the magic of Perma-Dom fall into reach.

Are you 3 slotting hasten with recharge to gain this effect?

Edited by ItsDecoy
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 3:01 AM, MonteCarla said:

Working backwards from the Rule of 5:

5 x LotG +7.5% (Manouvers+Vengeance, Weave/Hover/CJ, and Stealth+Grant Invisibility or  Indomitable Will+Link Minds) 

3 x Other 7.5% (Basilisks' Gaze x 2 and Sting of the Manticore)

Those don't count against each other?  Sigh, you don't want to know how many years I've been getting it wrong. 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dauntless said:

Those don't count against each other?  Sigh, you don't want to know how many years I've been getting it wrong. 😞

Nope - apparently LotG has it's own category within the Rule of Five counting system, so you may use five of them AND up to five +7.5%s elsewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 4/21/2024 at 4:02 AM, ItsDecoy said:

Are you 3 slotting hasten with recharge to gain this effect?

I usually 2 slot Hasten, with 2 SO's as I level and 2 Level 50+5 IO's once I hit 50.

You can get perma-Dom without it just by stacking set bonuses, but it's tight and usually won't kick in until you're 50.

Hasten gives you breathing room to enjoy perma-Dom from somwhere in your 30's onwards. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
Posted (edited)

Woot! Just hit 30, added a LotG power and hey presto! Perma-dom yipee!!! Changes the whole gameplay approach, for sure.

Now, it's touch and go if I don't refresh Hasten within a sec or two of it expiring, I then miss out on Dom which is flashing as I re-apply it right now.

Watching Hasten like a hawk was a pain, so I'm just autoexecing the 2 powers manually alternating in turn, as I don't really like any of the binds people have suggested, eh.

Will have another 7.5% set completed next level, which should give me a bit more breathing room.

Wish there was the option to autoexec a second power... sniff

----

Ok, so there is a way, but it might be a little naughty, ahem.

What I did was create these 2 binds:

9 "powexecslot 9$$powexecauto hasten"

0 "powexecslot 10$$powexecauto domination"

I then emptied those 2 tray slots to prevent the push-button 'power not ready' constant sound.

And then moved the powers to another pair of buttons, for visibility more than anything.

Finally, I then used my Logitech mouse macro to simply press the 9 and 0 each every second and bound the toggle to a spare mouse button.

This prevents my Domination running out currently, as I barely have enough recharge to sustain it. Only downside is if you have to alt-tab out of the game it may not work (and definitely won't if you toggle the macro off, which you might want to do in other apps anyway, as your keyboard pressing 9...0...9...0 continually is obviously quite annoying ;).

So, is that completely against the EULA/gameplay terms...? I am clearly only at 'testing' stage. :classic_ninja:

----

No one...? :(

Edited by Nostromo21

Game over man, game over!