Picture doesn't load properly when posting costume design

For the last few days, I've been attempting to post a costume pic in the "Post your best costume designs here!" forum, but, when I do, it looks fuzzy or pixelated. The files are png and I've run them through a jpg converter thinking that would fix it, but it did not. Any suggestions?

• Retired Game Master

Two possibilities:

Your in-game resolution and your desktop resolution may not be matching up (playing in 1280x720 when you're on a 1080 monitor, or in windowed mode the resolution matches your window size).

You could also have resolution scaling in game turned on. Dead Giveaway: your UI is sharp and pixel perfect, with blurry characters and world textures.

• Retired Game Master

If you want to share more info on your in-game resolution and your Operating System desktop settings, that might help.  It could be.

• Retired Game Master
Posted (edited)

Operating System:
Windows: Open Start, Settings, System, Display.  Don't change anything, just tell what resolution is selected.

MacOS: System Settings, Displays, Advanced, make sure "Show Resolutions as List" is turned on.  The highlighted entry should be your current one.  (Actual options to click on may vary if you're using an OS older than Ventura.)

Linux: Widely varies, most Desktops have a Settings app to find Display settings in.  Some have a dedicated Display settings panel available from the Start/Meta menu.

In-Game: open the Menu, Settings, Graphics and Audio Tab.  Resolution is listed in the top right. (Borderless Windowed mode for any resolution above 1920 x 1080 or HD is likely the best bet.) Resolution Scaling is right beneath it, with all the way to the right being the clearest setting.

Another setting to check: Character Detail (should be just below the Ultra Mode box at the top), with High and Very High Settings having the best pattern fidelity.  Low will be blurry.

For the clearest screenshots and game-captures, the In-Game resolution should match the Desktop resolution (which may negatively affect performance, particularly frame rates.)

Edited by GM Tock

Both the monitor and in-game resolution are the same (3840x2160) although, I did switch to borderless (monitor 1) from desktop. Resolution scaling is and has been, to the right. I just tested posting a pic again and I still see a grainy/pixelated pic. Character detail is at 200%.

Edited by Echo Night

If it's only when posted, the post editor may be downscaling the picture.  Control+right-click and select Edit Image to see if it's trolling you.  Other possibility is the browser downscaling or converting, and that's something you'll have to figure out for yourself.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

23 minutes ago, Luminara said:

If it's only when posted, the post editor may be downscaling the picture.  Control+right-click and select Edit Image to see if it's trolling you.

After I've posted or before? I tried this after I posted the pic and didn't see the edit option. Before posting, there is an option to edit with "Clipchamp" which shows the true image.

1 hour ago, Echo Night said:

Before posting, there is an option to edit with "Clipchamp" which shows the true image.

The forum has its own built-in basic editor.

image.thumb.png.c736618d5083421533ce728469b20e59.png

That menu is accessed via Ctrl+right-click.

image.thumb.png.151339575cab57f021b640248c44d5c0.png

That comes up when you select Edit Image.

You apparently have a third-party tool installed, as a browser extension or a program you installed (or malware installed for you), which is stepping in and acting as a go-between when you're attaching pictures.  There is no "clipchamp" when I post, and if you've seen my post history, you know I'm a .gif-spamming .jpg whore.  Disable or uninstall that before you do anything else, because it's not part of the vanilla forum experience and it's impossible to troubleshoot with a variable like that.

• Thanks 1

I've never used Clipchamp before and only noticed it today, but it's a Microsoft tool apparently. It's not even installed and to use it, I have to sign into MS. I have Paint and the Snipping tool which I've used in the past. I'll poke around and see what else there might be but this is strange because I've always been able to post pics before.

1 hour ago, Echo Night said:

I'm going to put up a pic I've been trying to post for the last few days just to see what it looks like. Maybe it'll be the real deal.

SteamboatWillie.thumb.jpg.0ce350c76282bb84215e5aba3d417fce.jpg

That looks like file corruption, not the forums mucking up your uploads.  Check your HDD/SSD for errors, check your network (unshielded cabling or failing NIC if wired, interference if wireless), and scan for malware.

• Like 1

Freya test

Thought I'd test out the forum editing.  Seems to work well though the forum itself resized the file on upload to 750x750 and I then cut it to 500x500.  If you have your own editing program, you could try resizing to 750x750 so that the forum doesn't mod it much.