'Reverse' Blaster Archetype

DarthSullus

Seeing as this is a now officially licensed game (Bless you, Devs!!), I was wondering it would be possible to create a 'reverse' Blaster archetype. 

What I mean by this is a class with it's primary powers as melee based, and the secondary powers being ranged. Like for example, taking Broadswords/Axes as your primary and having options like the assault rifle or gadgets as secondary power options. 

It seems silly to me that the one real way to play this is to go blaster and be limited to only ninja weapons. I'd be totally fine with the ranged weapons being nerfed to balance it out, and I think it would add some fun flavor to the game. 

I mean, even I get the secondary option for ninja weapons is to fill the wise-cracking mercenary character niche, but why limit it 'only' ninja weapons? This game has so much amazing variety, it's kinda headscrating that this wasn't an available archetype from the beginning. 

Where's the Thunder God rocking his hammer and castering lightening niche? Or the energy sword and kinetic powers space wizard niche? These would be amazing additions to the game, IMO.

Anyhoo, just my personal 2 cents. Thanks for you time and consideration!!

Edited by DarthSullus

It sounds like you want to play a Blapper type character, which we can already build. If you're saying you want more weapon based sets for such a character, I'm all for it but wouldn't it make more sense to accomplish that by just adding more Blaster secondaries? 

• Like 1

You wanna play Peacebringer?😒  Fine, but at least check out this guide first: Peacebringers STILL SUCK!!! (v. 1.1)

I mean, fair enough, I guess you could say that's the idea for sure. I guess I'd just assumed since the blaster is tuned to be focused on ranged combat that it'd be very weak to focus on melee secondary powers, but then it's been ages since I've played this game.

Edited by DarthSullus

Probably the easiest way to go about it, for what I'm asking, would be to simply add more weapon skins into the 'ninja weapon' powerset's list. 1h & 2h axes, clubs, etc etc. That would solve a lot of the 'style' limitations right there, and still keep everything balanced with the game's build/coding.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later
On 1/14/2024 at 8:02 AM, DarthSullus said:

I mean, fair enough, I guess you could say that's the idea for sure. I guess I'd just assumed since the blaster is tuned to be focused on ranged combat that it'd be very weak to focus on melee secondary powers, but then it's been ages since I've played this game.

Blaster Melee attacks are stronger then their ranged attacks. Simple fact, your forgoing safety of range attacks, kiting, flying, etc..  To get up in middle of all AoE, PBAOE, & strong melee attacks to deal damage. So they have to hit hard to try drop stuff fast & hard.

On 1/14/2024 at 7:41 AM, DarthSullus said:

Seeing as this is a now officially licensed game (Bless you, Devs!!), I was wondering it would be possible to create a 'reverse' Blaster archetype. 

What I mean by this is a class with it's primary powers as melee based, and the secondary powers being ranged. Like for example, taking Broadswords/Axes as your primary and having options like the assault rifle or gadgets as secondary power options. 

It seems silly to me that the one real way to play this is to go blaster and be limited to only ninja weapons. I'd be totally fine with the ranged weapons being nerfed to balance it out, and I think it would add some fun flavor to the game. 

I mean, even I get the secondary option for ninja weapons is to fill the wise-cracking mercenary character niche, but why limit it 'only' ninja weapons? This game has so much amazing variety, it's kinda headscrating that this wasn't an available archetype from the beginning. 

Where's the Thunder God rocking his hammer and castering lightening niche? Or the energy sword and kinetic powers space wizard niche? These would be amazing additions to the game, IMO.

Anyhoo, just my personal 2 cents. Thanks for you time and consideration!!

I actually agree personally i think blasters need a rework they are obviously way over tuned capping defenses on an at that is not meant to have those kinds of defenses, it would make sense to have the villian at version of blaster, I also feel like allot of the melee attacks are bland and not many in blaster sets. Of course people will pretend its fine because they dont want the blaster to change.

Edited by StarseedWarrior
  • Thumbs Down 1

27 minutes ago, StarseedWarrior said:

i think blasters need a rework they are obviously way over tuned capping defenses on an at that is not meant to have those kinds of defenses

Obviously hyperbole. Last I checked you could cap defenses on any AT.

29 minutes ago, StarseedWarrior said:

I also feel like allot of the melee attacks are bland and not many in blaster sets.

With the exception of Devices and Tactical Arrow, every blaster secondary has 3-5 melee attacks. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, Uun said:

With the exception of Devices and Tactical Arrow, every blaster secondary has 3-5 melee attacks. 

No its not I mained blasters in live dude lol but its the servers choice I just refuse to roll one, yea they needed a buff but now the defenses are insane read the describtion of the at they are meant to be squishier. And most do not have 3 to 5 lol, some even have !, close ranged it not melee.

19 minutes ago, Uun said:

I forgot to add sents can cap at a bit less then blasters this is what I meant to put in the other response but I deleted it on accident.

I had 3 lvl 50 blasters on live (dating back to I2) and I have 4 on HC. Other than the addition of the sustain powers to the secondaries (which I believe was in the works at shutdown), there have been no changes to blasters by the HC team changing their damage or defenses. The invention system is what allows players to cap defenses on squishy ATs (and which is unchanged from live). I find it hilarious that you're demanding a rework of blasters, yet you haven't played one on HC.

Not sure what point you're trying to make about sentinels. Their damage scale is slightly lower than blasters, but their target caps are significantly lower. On the other hand, they're significantly more survivable. It's far easier to cap defenses on a sentinel, plus they have mez proteciton.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Uun said:

I had 3 lvl 50 blasters on live (dating back to I2) and I have 4 on HC. Other than the addition of the sustain powers to the secondaries (which I believe was in the works at shutdown), there have been no changes to blasters by the HC team changing their damage or defenses. The invention system is what allows players to cap defenses on squishy ATs (and which is unchanged from live). I find it hilarious that you're demanding a rework of blasters, yet you haven't played one on HC.

Not sure what point you're trying to make about sentinels. Their damage scale is slightly lower than blasters, but their target caps are significantly lower. On the other hand, they're significantly more survivable. It's far easier to cap defenses on a sentinel, plus they have mez proteciton.

Nothing but assumptions here I never said I never played blasters in hc, your never going to agree I dare anyone to go challenge this on discord they will tell you the same thing and show you the numbers but whatever it makes no difference to me.

• 3 weeks later
On 1/14/2024 at 9:02 AM, DarthSullus said:

the blaster is tuned to be focused on ranged combat

This is a common misconception.  Most of my blasters do start as ranged, but only until I can get enough health and damage resist up to get in close and use secondaries alongside primaries.

• 2 weeks later

What you're asking for is basically already available by just playing a blaster in melee.

Now if you want to make some new animations and melee options so I can throw a fire ball with a swing of my katana, I'd be down for that.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow