The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Seismic/Stone Thematic Sentinel Build

PyroBeetle

One of the things that I have never understood about City of Heroes is oftentimes how little thematic consistency there is with powersets. Oftentimes, there is little synergy between a thematic pairing. Thankfully, I have not found that to be the case with this character. The problem that I have had with most Sentinels, and I have leveled a bunch of them and played through many a vet level, is that I eventually get tired of the ST damage problems that most of the sets have. Seismic does not have this problem.

Once you get over the fact that Meteor is going to land after a delay, and you accept the fact that you are not going to get the first hit in on every group, but when your Meteor lands it will take care of whatever is left, which does not mean that you are not contributing in groups, but it does mean that you may not be the superstar soloing TF when there is an entire team there too...well you get the point. Meteor is a fine T9, even if you have to pay the KB tax for it. There are ways to fit that into the build. The set in its entirety looks good and feels visceral. Aim, Meteor, Upthrust, Rock Shards, and then whichever ST power you put your Decimation Chance for BU in, for me this is Gravestone, Rock Shards, Upthrust and a spawn is pretty much dead, mopping up bosses the same as any other AT or powerset, which thankfully Seismic has an excellent ST chain. Gravestone, Entomb, Havoc Punch, Gravestone, Entomb, Stalagmite is an excellent way to game the system to ensure that you are getting your big hit with Stalagmite. If going ranged I just cycle through Gravestone, Entomb and Shatter and pop Stalagmite whenever seismic forces procs. 

There are drawbacks, especially with flying enemies, and the fact that sometimes Meteor strikes through platforms to the ground below, but these are able to be lived with. However, I have not had to use excessive proc games to get an acceptable damage output, which is somewhat of a relief, allowing me to fill in the gaps to make my Secondary fairly impervious.

Stone I have found to be an excellent all-around armor secondary for Sentinels, if a little bit endurance hungry. The build as put together can run a bit hot, and I always make sure to carry around Recovery Serum from the P2W vendor. The end suck is not so extreme that you cannot interpose a Serum before you get in trouble. The combination of a solid regen, soft capped defense and solid resistances makes this one tough cookie, especially if you remember in teams that you are not the tank. At +4, I can take a bit of that nonsense, but remember, you brought a tank to the TF for a reason.

For those users that have Mids, the last spoiler is the data chunk. For those that do not, I have included the following images. Hopefully this helps some of the new users looking for a decent Sentinel build.

image.thumb.png.1b894436236596e3bba56c2b97bb54d9.png

image.thumb.png.7ec30e2e20261c59ae4af48bddeefe5a.png

Spoiler

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

35 minutes ago, Sovera said:

The Decimation proc has no discernible effects. You might as well sub it in for a regular damage proc.

It has the same effects as the Gaussian build up proc. Its only issue is that it has a very low proc rate, especially if the power it's slotted in has been also slotted for recharge (recharge slotting reduces proc rates, global recharge does not). 

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

3 minutes ago, FupDup said:

It has the same effects as the Gaussian build up proc. Its only issue is that it has a very low proc rate, especially if the power it's slotted in has been also slotted for recharge (recharge slotting reduces proc rates, global recharge does not). 

Yes, I know. We had some extensive testing and it never produced tangible results hence why I mentioned to put a damage proc. At least that one does go off.

But if it works for you then leave it as it won't make a big difference.

I read something how Meteor is the fastest recharging nuke between the FF procs Seismic can slot and the Seismic mechanic. How does that feel for you?

1 hour ago, Sovera said:

I read something how Meteor is the fastest recharging nuke between the FF procs Seismic can slot and the Seismic mechanic. How does that feel for you?

Between the FF proc going off almost every time and the Seismic forces, it is up every fight. I haven't tuned it but it feels faster than ever other sentinel I have that has a native +recharge (Psy/SR, Beam/Elec, Storm/SR, Elec//EA) and quite a bit faster than those that don't.

As far as it goes, I get about 1 in 10 for the Decimation proc, but seeing as I wanted the set there anyhow, I will live with the minimal effect.

Edited by PyroBeetle

2 hours ago, evetsleep said:

How does the seismic stuff work to get meteor to recharge so fast?  Is popping the build up at a particular time/order what gets the T9 to recharge so fast?

Most of Seismic's attacks give a self-buff that reduces the recharge of all other seismic powers by 1 second. Seismic Force (Aim replacement) reduces Meteor's recharge by 15 seconds. So it's gonna come down to chaining the abilities in an order such that you can squeeze the most out of those recharge reduction (I haven't used the set myself so I don't know the optimal ordering). 

So I think it might boil down to using basic attacks as filler until Meteor has about 15 seconds left to go, then pop Aim for Meteor to be instantly ready, then nuke away and repeat the cycle? Aim will of course probably be slotted with more recharge here than most blast sets in order to fully leverage this. 

Depending on how high your global/slotted recharge is, most Sentinel nukes can get their recharge to around 22-25ish seconds. Chopping 15 off that...good times. If you wanted to get truly stupid you could try to work in Burnout to that process. 

Edited by FupDup
  • Like 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

2 hours ago, evetsleep said:

How does the seismic stuff work to get meteor to recharge so fast?  Is popping the build up at a particular time/order what gets the T9 to recharge so fast?

@FupDup beat me to the Seismic mechanic explanation. 

On Sent's, the nukes already have their lowest recharging speed. On my super heavy recharge Seismic/Super Reflexes build, I've got Meteor down to 23.69s. This isn't including FF procs. 

You can basically press Meteor, use Seismic attacks to reach max stacks, and hit Seismic Force to shave off 15s. Discounting FF procs, that will get you to around a ~5s recharge on Meteor.

• Pizza (Pineapple) 1

In practice I have seen this effect to be 5s, not 15s, and I have not found it to be worth altering the cycle of sysmic forces then Meteor, Upthrust, and Rock Shards...I have also found in practice the best place to use the Sesmic mechanic is with Rock Shards for AoE chain or with Stalagmite for ST chain

4 hours ago, PyroBeetle said:

In practice I have seen this effect to be 5s, not 15s, and I have not found it to be worth altering the cycle of sysmic forces then Meteor, Upthrust, and Rock Shards...I have also found in practice the best place to use the Sesmic mechanic is with Rock Shards for AoE chain or with Stalagmite for ST chain

I do have to agree. Something in the mechanics in practice makes it off of 15s. It's still a nice little gimmick of "fast recharging nuke."

It sometimes comes in useful for certain fights just because Meteor is 10 targets over Rock Shards at 6. I make a snap decision in a fight and decide if I can swing the extra time for a Meteor or quick dmg of RS. Usually in team fights where waves just don't stop coming I'll prioritize Meteor.

• 4 months later

hate to necro this, but that data chunk doesnt work. is it possible to just get the build file? screenshots arent super useful to someone like me that doesnt have enhancies memorized by their icons- understandable if you cant share it but thought id ask anyways